1. FISCHER's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Un chef-d'oeuvre absolu du cinéma fantastique réalisé de main de maître par un metteur en scène convaincu et convaincant ..... www.cinefiches.com

2. Lucas Granero's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

"Es mejor no saber" dice el hombre de las ciencias y le da la espalda a la desconocido, aún sabiendo que caminó cerca del diablo. Jacques Tourneur, dueño de las sombras, abraza aquello que nadie conoce pero todo saben que existe, ese otro lado que aguarda detrás de cada puerta y que es capaz de poner patas para arriba cualquier creencia. Hace un doble programa satánico estupendo con "Drag Me To Hell" de Sam Raimi...

3. ΞRIC B∆D TASTΞ's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

4. film_lies101's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

This might be Tourneur's masterpiece

5. ADZERTY's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Dommage que les producteurs aient imposé à Jacques Tourneur une apparition aussi visible du démon à la fin du film. Mis à part ces quelques minutes finales, le film vibre d'une tension merveilleuse et fantastique.

6. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Legendary for a couple of reasons. 1. Kate Bush - "It's in the trees! It's coming!" 2. Showing the monster. And it doesn't look like a Godzilla rubber suit. It just works as a late night horror treat. Watch this on Halloween.

7. Joel's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Rounding out an early horror double feature with this film after a disappointing first watch and I was wholly delighted. The pacing and dialogue are spot on, the cinematography is elegant and atmospheric. I am in the camp that found the creature effects both impressive and effective. I'm looking forward to diving into Tourneur's oeuvre.

8. Dada Kubin's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

If you can get past the plastic demon-monster-thingy, the stuffed puma and other aged special FX, there is some charm in this traditional science-vs-religion story. Obviously the scientist has to yield in the end, but before you’re there, the film has many clever twists to offer. But I also got the feeling that the film was old-fashioned already when it was published in 1957.

9. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Beautifully shot horror film from Tourneur, with some astonishing practical FX sequences. The chief drawback is that there's precious little narrative material to fill 95 minutes, so the soggy midsection is mostly taken by Dana Andrews being moronically stubborn. Points deducted for making Peggy "Gun Crazy" Cummins so respectable. Points added back for cinema's most authentically satanic facial hair.

10. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

3.5 "It's in the trees...it's coming!" I don't mind seeing the monster...it can be regarded as a kind of mindscreen of the haunted characters. Tourneur is a master of atmosphere: the seance, the hand at the staircase, the woods etc.

11. T. J. Mesen's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

The oft criticized appearance of the demon at the beginning is necessary. The knowledge that there is a real malign force out there paired with Dr. Holden's denial of the unknown, of death, is what drives the narrative. It's crucial for the film's themes and ability to sustain tension that the viewer know the reality of his impending doom. Pitting rationality with the unexplainable; confronting him with the abyss.

12. SpacePirate's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

One of my personal favorite horrors, this one has it all. A shame its not better known

13. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Quintessential 1950s British horror. You can argue for or against the inclusion of the grizzly muppet demon but what really counts here is the directorial clarity and efficiency: all the key elements - script, performances, cinematography - are on the button, nothing flashy, just well judged. Lacks the psychological complexity of, say, Cat People, but admirably atmospheric nevertheless.

14. janh24's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Entertaining piece of hocum.

15. Rui Oliveira's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Good suspense/horror from the 1950s from one of the main american directors of the genre, Jacques Tourneur. Great cinematography, good effects.

16. Leco's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Oh, boy! This one is a gem! I've started watching it lying down and by the final moments, I was sitting up straight, my eyes fixed on the screen, already aware of what was about to happen, but totally interested on how it would be presented. It's not totally original, but its delivery makes it worthwhile. For what matters, both the acting and cinematography are nicely done. But here, above all, lies a great script!

17. Squashua's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Never trust the man with a pointy beard, especially if he's a kids party magic hobo clown in his leisure time. A B-Movie that's feels quite antiquated and on a more ambling pace compared to its small town American contemporaries. Despite having the potential to be rather menacing, the psychoanalytic mumbo-jumbo & the naff monster payoff right at the start (shoulda just kept the evil fog) hamper the course of events.

18. James's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Long-winded.Dana Andrews the ultimate spoil sport, I was wishing all the way through the demon would get him.

19. raggiodisole's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Good eery feel to this, tension rarely dropping as the hour ticks closer

20. Ed's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Astonishingly good horror and genuinely terrifying. Eerie and poetic masterpiece that fully gets the old pagan aura of the English countryside. See also: The Kill List.

21. Thomas's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Tourneur at his best. Having learnt his trade directing and editing countless B-movies, his directorial style is lean, refined and disciplined, with the efficiency and economy and of Roger Corman. A creative and imaginative eye for cinematography and lighting also set his films apart from other generic productions. And this film, though notably later in his career, is no exception.

22. Nick Moon's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

Part of what we're now coming to call 'folk horror' or the 'english eerie'? The problem with the demon isn't whether it convinces, but rather that it's reveal comes far too early, thus undermining much of the film's subtlety, even if it does exchange some of James' original tone for something more transatlantic. I rather like it's outsider's view of England in the 50s. Great horror, however you wish to classify it.

23. UterusFactory's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

While the demon itself was pretty ridiculous, I spent too much of this film being absolutely delighted for it to really detract from my enjoyment. If we only saw the smoke in the trees, this probably would have been five stars. As it is, I can't turn my nose up at shot of the hand atop the balustrade in the extreme foreground. "It's in the trees! It's coming!"

24. Arcanus's rating of the film Curse of the Demon

A great British horror film. I love the monny.