1. evill009's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

I can only imagine how Agnès feels when watching this nowadays, after forty years. Beautiful.

2. ys_scl's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

bellisima, es al mismo tiempo una fotografia antigua, un recuerdo y un espejo.

3. DANIEL RUIZ HUECK's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

Fantástic, very human, its complex simplicity is beatiful and amazing. Genius.

4. GEMMA's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

Un retrato muy auténtico e interesante de la época. Varda, como siempre, hila las historias de una forma sorprendente y fluida.

5. mis marg's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

Fabulous, it really takes you there as part of the street famille of the time. Thank you Agnes, and participants!

6. Superfrog's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

Does what it wants to do, show us a slice of life and of people. The banal and the desuet are assembled together with Varda's inimitable rhythm that makes it a very enjoyable watch.

7. JanP's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

A lovely and sympathetic film. But daily life was relentless, and they seemed to be prisoners of their shops and lived at the whim of customers. Were they involved in conjuring up a street of magic themselves?

8. Kaonashiii's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

9. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

Agnes Varda provides a wonderful portrait of the people that populate the Rue Daguerre in Paris, juxtaposing social moments with scenes from the work day in a way that proves most effective. Lots of little details add up to a superb grand picture.

10. Tony's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

A delight from beginning to end: tender, poignant and funny. We'd have been happy for it to be twice as long. What a remarkable film-maker she is!

11. dnb's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

Totally different from the shopping experience today...so many specialist shops all run by families. Excellent documentary recalling what now seems a long time ago!

12. Dean Owen Jones's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

Loved this. Similar to Abel Ferrara's Mulberry St. in that it's a record of a street and its characters, much better in that Varda does not impose herself into the frame, beyond occasional heard questions for her subjects. That way we get to see the people, and the film-maker's lens on them, rather than a whole load of congratulatory back-slapping. Result: A gentle take on a place in time and the human condition.

13. Chiasmi's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

Took me straight back to my teenage years in small town 70’s UK. Who knew it was so like Paris at least in this street? My driving instructor had been a wrestling champion in a former life and was uncomfortably like the one in the film. Also waiting for my mum in the salon suffocated by setting lotions and the heat of hooded dryers. Bravo Agnes Varda for enabling me to see my youth with a more sympathetic eye.

14. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

Quietly heartbreaking. It feels like a wholly different world, in the way that our world of 2018 will to people 40 years hence. There is something so desperately poignant about the quotidian. No grand gestures. No eruptions of passion. But buying a baguette at that particular moment, in that particular place, from that particular person is so intimately personal it can feel almost overwhelming.

15. between7skies's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

What an empathetic gaze. Varda is a magician of the image.

16. Peter Blegvad's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

17. 'king Harold's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

Moving portraits of people free of dreams and full of work we seem to want the opposite.

18. Ariel Rowan's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

19. P D Dawson's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

An intimate portrait of shop life in the mid-70s, that is both tender and raw, a careful mix most likely only achieved due to the closeness these people have with its creator. Varda filmed in her own street and the people's trust is telling. The scenes are natural and relaxed as if the camera wasn't there, which makes it all the more illuminating and interesting. Varda shows she has a great eye and sense of subject.

20. Piero Reynolds's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

A corner of Parisienne life in the 70's presented in a totally unadulterated way. However the absence of any message makes the viewer work hard to extract this for themself.

21. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

What a lovely film. Parisians doing what they do, or did, in 1975. Another country, another time, another world. Butchers, bakers, perfume makers, accordion players and a great magician. A real sense of community. Very well shot and beautifully edited. Delightful.

22. FISCHER's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

Quelques savoureuses tranches de vie, dans un passé désormais révolu... www.cinefiches.com

23. Francesca Gavin's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

Utter perfection. Beautiful melancholic sweet beauty.

24. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film Daguerréotypes

It is like looking at a portrait lost in time. Playing with the concept of Daguerre and these neighbours living in this street makes you wish you had a time machine. Wonderful film.

← Previous 1 3 4