1. Quesera,sera's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

uplifting experience, completed with the charming soundtrack.. uh oh

2. OlesyaNisista's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

Couldn't stop rolling my eyes... oh and Greta Gerwig is so so soooo annoying...

3. Superfrog's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

fun lines, watcheable piece of film, definitely not ground breaking.

4. raggiodisole's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

Every life in film should include at least one Whit Stillman film. So far, mine has included three, and happy to add this one to the list. Charm and intelligence.

5. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

Hipster to the max. Not my kind of Whit Stillman film.

6. Jeremy's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

Loved it, a perfect vehicle for Greta Gerwig who completely sells Stillman's quirky script. A very pleasant way to spend 98 minutes!

7. Zachariah Rigby's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

Charming in the most active sense of the word. The quirks of the dialogue are such a novel way to convince you into seeing these characters (who are only superficially complete wankers) in a sympathetic light.

8. Thomas Dods's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

Fun, catty, witty banter sustains this modern screwball comedy for 90 mins but ultimately it is not as clever as it wants to be - just like the gang of characters at its centre. Excellent joke about one of their boyfriends not knowing his colours mind. Greta Gerwig is perfectly cast.

9. dsycloatnt's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

10. Tja's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

Although I nearly dozed off a couple of times once it became clear this was not a re-make of The Heathers, the charm of the cast and cosy campus world held some interest. The Merchant-Ivory use of 'chapter' titles (eg Room with a View) hints at the values of controlled innocence under mild threat from approaching reality.

11. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

I can see this annoying a lot of people, but I found it very funny and surprisingly sweet. And not just because of my huge crush on Great Gerwig. But that helped.

12. SiIencio's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

The quirky dialogues and Gerwig's magnetic presence keep the film afloat for a while. However Stillman puts all his eggs in just two baskets and what follows is a repetitive cadence, a never-ending loop of self-indulgent verbal pyrotechnics, cute costumes and baby faces. Comedy without pretensions... or even comedy.

13. Pango's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

Thanks again Mubi! I would have never even have know this film existed if it wasn't for you. What a pleasure. It's so rare to find such an eloquent, well written and funny comedy nowadays. Love the dialogues.

14. Debbie Taylor's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

Lovely funny film for a Sunday afternoon!

15. Dogville59's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

I really like quirky films and this film was very quirky. In all the silliness, oddball ways of acting and out of left field ways of thinking and being however a lot of ideas were put forward that gave me pause to think. A lot of preconceived ideas about things are questioned in this film and that is a good thing mostly when done in a funny thoroughly quirky manner.

16. Teona Gal's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

17. Bilouaustria's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

I got really annoyed by the first 30 minutes and thought i would not be able to watch it til the end. Heavy parody, caricature of conservative rich girls and all that. But then it starts and becomes something else : the characters have their flaws, are more complicated that it seems, deeper, you begin to care for this tall blond girl (Greta Gerwig just perfect). Not sure about the hype but fairly good in the end.

18. ionu's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

19. Yumi Kaioh's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

20. ughchenausea's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

sciocchino di qua, noiosetto di là, però non è da buttar via

21. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

22. Balthaz21's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

23. LauraPalmer's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

NO, not a good film. I miss the old Whit Stillman here and I want it now. Always the same, Greta Gerwig ALWAYS making films for hipsters. In fact, Greta, let me tell you something: you're not Chloë Sevigny in The Last Days of Disco, sorry. No, you're not a MUSE, you're another thing, whatever. I have enough of this shit, I'm so tired of this kind of hipsters films, thanks.

24. roseros's rating of the film Damsels in Distress

People of privilege droning on and on about their first world problems. No coincidence that Stillman also made a Jane Austen adaptation. Basically Girls on the big screen. Ugh.

← Previous 1 3 4