1. spasmolytic's rating of the film Dark City

Hard to remember such a dull plot, all that I really retained was that this high concept was not nearly as deep as the film thinks it is.

2. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Dark City

Make a game of how much nerd stuff (everything from The Matrix to Bioshock) went on to swaggerjack this movie in the ensuing decades

3. jw's rating of the film Dark City

The strengths of this movie are its Blade Runner-meets-Gotham City aesthetic and the ambition of the plot. Its weak points are the mostly average acting and dialogue, and the dated special effects.

4. Carl Penguin's rating of the film Dark City

i can pass the fact that the effects are silly as fuck because this has to be the only original movie i had the pleasure to see. i highly recommend this.

5. Qonita Afinanisa's rating of the film Dark City

i love this period's cute attempts for special effects.

6. Leif Erikson's rating of the film Dark City

Imagine a life alien to yours; in which your memories were not your own. Imagine the torment of such an existence, no experiences to call your own...

7. Rūdolfs R. Vītoliņš's rating of the film Dark City

Wonderful neo noir/ SF movie. In some ways similar to Matrix but in my opinion more stylish because of its film noir feling both in archetypical heroes and visual effects. Plot is also awesome. Must see.

8. _cmb's rating of the film Dark City

3.5 Despite the evident traces of Gilliam and Jeunet, the film manages to evoke and maintain an atmosphere all of its own. I love films that create a world of their own and challenge the dichotomy of fantasy vs reality, and this one felt particularly nightmarish. Much of the last 1/4 of the film felt a bit too much (especially the fight...), and I had a few other problems with it, but I enjoyed the ride, nonetheless.

9. Meastro0's rating of the film Dark City

Fine sci-fi adaptaion of Plato's cave. Not great, just fine.

10. Aube James's rating of the film Dark City

11. Tatami's rating of the film Dark City

An interesting gnostic influenced film plagued by some bad acting and outdated action scenes.

12. Kenrick Block's rating of the film Dark City

Not nearly as concise and perfectly plotted as The Matrix, nor does it really conclude with as meaningful of a message, but none-the-less I did find it to be an interesting meditation on the power of the mind and the way we interpret reality as we exist within it. Stunning imagery.

13. Addy K.'s rating of the film Dark City

There's one great movie in every director. For Alex Proyas (now a bonafide Hollywood hack), there were two: THE CROW and DARK CITY. Noir-acolyte and co-writer Lem Dobbs said it best when he called DARK CITY "a pastiche". The Director's Cut is a more somber affair, toning down Trevor Jones' extravagant score and judiciously removing exposition. Films like DARK CITY are emblematic of cinéma fantastique. Iconic, fun.

14. Apricot's rating of the film Dark City

Single most artistic movie with an abundance of sci-fi movie elements

15. Kk Soft Boss's rating of the film Dark City

16. Alex Pintică's rating of the film Dark City

2nd watch. 3.5. Jesus, the bad editing pace kinda ruins the mood, but the nice story makes you want to go on. However, was this intended as a "communism is dark and bad vs. Individualism/democracy is great" allegory?

17. James Mackin's rating of the film Dark City

This is a really weird, but incredibly fun Matrix-like noir film. Kiefer Sutherland plays a doctor though, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

18. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Dark City

Tells the same story of all 3 Matrix films, in less than 1/3 of the time! Visually magnificent, DC creates a world that completely envelops the audience and leaves you wanting more. If it weren't for its spastic editing technique, this film might just be a masterpiece.

19. Jim Fear's rating of the film Dark City

20. Aaron Dillenbeck's rating of the film Dark City

Great puzzle that keeps you on your toes the entire time. The ending was fantastic and the overall story line was more interesting to me than the matrix. Special effects were a bit campy but it worked. Perfect sci fi, murder mystery noir.

21. jefezra's rating of the film Dark City

an ordinary night in Istanbul.

22. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Dark City

Good material for your next po-mo master's thesis.

23. Alessandra N.'s rating of the film Dark City

one of the best sci-fi/dystopian movies

24. Chris's rating of the film Dark City

manages to be cheesy yet captivating at the same time, probably not for everyone but I loved it

← Previous 1 3 4