1. Ghostman's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

A moving and elegiac work that finds both defeat and hope in the changing tide of time. A multi-generational work that depicts a now forgotten community, Daughters of the Dust is a beautiful film, both on the outside and inside. Sometimes filmmaking is about preserving a memory that will be lost in time, this is a film that does such a thing.

2. THE APOLL0's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

Memories of an age gone by carried into the future

3. EdieEmm's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

Took a while to get used to the rhythm & pace, which fell somewhere between dramatic theatre and post-apocalyptic genre comics/fiction. (Not sure I ever got used to the music..) As a lost & drifting gen-xer, I don't easily relate to feelings of place/tradition/family. In fact, it was hard to relate at all, to any of the characters' perspectives and/or to the director; and those are the 3 ways I watch film. Still, 3.5

4. Henry_Swanson's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

More like a four and a half. Convinced I dreamt the film up as it went along. Unbelievable.

5. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

Rewatch of a 25-year anniversary 2K restoration. This is an American classic as far as I'm concerned, not simply because of the distinctly U.S. subject and Southern Gothic elements, but also because of the editing and structure. The film gives one the impression of there being no beginning, middle, or end -similar to what Nana means when she talks about a shared past that never goes away.

6. Apaana's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

actually transformative. i watched this with my mother and sister and felt connected to every woman in my lineage, from mitochondrial eve to my grandmothers to the women beside me. it felt like home.

7. daniroelleb's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

Good movie, a bit long for the story but I loved it for the most part. Also so much love to female film makers..

8. msmichel's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

In '91 I remember finding this work worthy but amateurish and felt it had been overhyped in critical opinion. 25 years later and seeing its 2K digital projection I recognize its importance and now lasting influence on independent cinema. The film's other worldly touches playing on magical realism, tribalism and tradition offer unforgettable moments well captured by d.p. Arthur Jafa. Memorable score as well.

9. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

To look forward or to hold to tradition? To leave or to stay, in a place you could never quite call your own? Julie Dash tackles these questions of American racial identity with such a trance-like style that, as thrilled as I was to see it in 4K at Film Forum, I kept wishing for a pause button and subtitles, because I'd get so caught up in the mood that I'd miss the dialogue. A potent American indie find.

10. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

Beautiful, beautiful film. The structure, which attempts to create a sense of place and history by wandering among the people of Gullah Island as some prepare to move north, is partially successful, but also becomes a bit tiresome.

11. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

So underrated. Its something that should be studied and the world would be better if we learned from

12. mpho3's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

Astonishingly beautiful. I wasn't prepared for and was overwhelmed by its radiance.

13. El Biffo's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

A one-of-a-kind, magnificent work of feminist Tribalism. Beautiful photography, script, acting, and herstorical research make for a film that is in a genre of its own. A must for anyone who is interested in Tribal culture. It helped me to read about the Gullah people before watching this film, to understand the references, language, and herstorical context. This is a film I will never forget.

14. Den-Leroy Kangalee's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

A masterpiece. Profound, haunting, elegiac, complicated...Dash is one of the unsung heroes of American Film, and a poet of cinema. I remember seeing this when Haile Gerima's own brilliant "Sankofa" came out around the same time, I believe. These heavy, soulful films inspired my own work - but continue to humble and resonate with me in more ways than I could imagine. Thank you, MUBI, for streaming this.

15. Weston Campbell's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

Multifaceted tale of modernity versus tradition, its sympathies decidedly with the latter.

16. Joseph Sylvers's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

17. ramosbarajas's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

All the performances are great. I can't wait to see more of her stuff. I know some people don't like comparing the films by POCs to Western films, but this really gave me a sense of Fanny and Alexander. The production design, the costumes, and even the hairstyles are all very good. I think that the editing hasn't held up in time extremely well, but it is nonetheless an incredible film. More people need to see this.

18. Kenji's rating of the film Daughters of the Dust

A fascinating film of calm integrity.