1. Guillermo Padilla's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

2. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

3. Ryan O'Connor (23)'s rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

The truest portrait of a artist. There is nothing more to what an artist should be. This is what an artist is.

4. anschyn's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

i don't know i just feel that there's something sentimental about this like part of the history of film or documentary film and it tells everything you learned everything , this is beyond my admiration

5. devrinusta's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

Dünyanın en iyi mocumentary lerinden :)

6. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

The fact that it's staged is what makes it brilliant.

7. Max Seqgar's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

From the tie-guy's dissertation on man shifting from moral expressions to esthetic ones, to the sound of disc dial-up phones, to the voyeuristic views of NYC in the 60's... this is a true grandad of hand-held cinema! Cooolness! :D

8. A47's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

"But, I don't know, somehow, it's just, it's not believable. Looks like very bad actress and a very bad script and horrible movie, just horrible movie, and, you know, I like it. It's alright, you know, if you want to live in her bad movie, it's alright because some people's lives are good movies, some people's lives are bad movies and Penny's life's a very bad movie but don't make me look at it on the screen please."

9. Karthik's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

Hilarious, prescient and wonderfully inventive critique of the farce-become-all-too-real today of oversharing and of (Bazinian) film realism (and therefore of the pre-Passion Godard and of the Kapò-tracking-shot Serge Daney (and Rivette the critic, if not the filmmaker)).

10. tintinmugshot's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

This is so classic and new and easygoing. I love it.

11. Buddy Love's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

Pretty cool little exercise. I liked the tunes on the radio during that time. David & Penny have issues.

12. Peter Belly's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

Google-Glass Cinema. Man looking to a camera for a mirror. Camera looking to a mirror for a man. Meditation on nature of cinema, and more broadly technology and knowledge as truth producing mechanisms. Fun for the whole family.

13. Timbo of Boston's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

I first saw this in 1969 and took it for real, but when I heard it was staged, my mind was blown - appropriate for the times. I became a LM Kit Carson fan from then on even with his odd remake of Breathless. But THIS - this should be seen by every film student to help stave off bouts of excessive solipsism. Before moc docs became a fad, Holzman's Diary was there. Brilliant and hysterical.

14. Genre films > French New Wave's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

An experimental film I didn't actually hate! Don't get me wrong. There were parts I thought went on for too long and were boring. This was a diary in the truest form. In this movie, the filmmaker's desire is to satisfy himself first before his audience. He definitely does the former, and a little bit of the latter. As an aspiring filmmaker, how can I not like a story about a filmmaker and his obsessions?

15. Ryan Robinson's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

Travis Bickle makes a home movie?

16. Ioannis Papaloizou's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

It was a nice slice of NY life, well edited but the main guy (as honest as he tried to be and as funny as he was at moments) was too timid or preoccupied with the camera, lacking necessary presence that other characters had. Many nice moments and I really liked the ending.

17. El Biffo's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

There are so many things I love about this 1960's artifact! I like watching it in cut-up pieces, or freeze-frame, especially the high-speed-edited TV sequence. The only way to see the individual shots is in that segment is by using freeze-frame, try it! Thanks to Pacific Film Archive, Berkeley for preserving a fine print :)

18. msmichel's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

Cinema verite feature that has been preserved as a document of its time period and as a precursor perhaps to the so-called reality fixation. McBride certainly captures something here not just of the period but of man's quest to capture the truth even when the truth is how empty he may be. The character becomes grating and insufferable and his choices less and less intelligent..but that's the point.

19. Edward Copeland's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

The granddaddy of all mockumentaries, made too hard to see for far too long, retains much of its humor and has some predictive insights into our reality culture to come. http://eddieonfilm.blogspot.com/2010/07/mock-n-roll.html

20. Karen Cormier's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

This is an important film in many ways. Native New Yorkers would be especially susceptible to its charms.

21. Eric Sherwood's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

This film is for careful inspection. Not just its shots, edits, acting, but us the viewers, how we react. As an artist, a maker. This is coming from a indelible, brutally honest place. Trials and tribulations, an artist trying to make sense of his material. In the midst of reality and intimate fantasy. This film paints a portrait of the face of the modern man, the delicate line between genius and insanity.

22. Patrick's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

story of every man on here

23. eharadon's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

Pretty entertaining. Precursor to Coming Apart, which I liked better.

24. herb shellenberger's rating of the film David Holzman's Diary

Saw this on 16mm yesterday at a screening in Philadelphia presented by the Film Studies Department at Temple University. Carson heard about the screening about two weeks before and offered to come down and talk about the film. Very interesting Q&A and he showed a clip of his upcoming Sundance Selects series "Africa Diary."