1. Terry_Moby's rating of the film Death in the Garden

Pretty conventional at first sight, but full of great details: a prayer´s book with ripped pages, the snake covered with ants, the Paris pictures in the jungle...

2. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Death in the Garden

A film I love because Luis Buñuel, under the cover of an adventure movie, tells us a lot of things. Biblical references are multiple of course but they're deflected in front of Buñuel's camera. We'll never know for instance whether Simone - Marie-Madeleine - Signoret would have made an act of contrition after all. Masterpiece.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film Death in the Garden

Les acteurs jouent fort médiocrement, les dialogues sont souvent nuls (bravo Queneau) et les invraisemblances foisonnent, lourdement et de partout... www.cinefiches.com

4. Mauro Pagano's rating of the film Death in the Garden

5. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Death in the Garden

"In-a-gadda-da-vida, honey..." From a cast of hundreds at the start to only two at the end. Interesting how the two younger, 'wilder', less calculating characters end up surviving. The film plays on a well-worn theme of the jungle as a place where the rules of 'civilization' no longer apply, and where outlaws (experienced in surviving outside of civilization) thrive. A routine story told by an extraordinary director.

6. Nick Potter's rating of the film Death in the Garden

The story takes its time getting interesting, but it becomes perfectly watchable before too long. It still feels too conventional to be Bunuel, but I'm no expert.

7. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Death in the Garden

They end up as Adam & Eve... hmmm there's more than meets the eye as with anything Bunuel. Loved the Champs Elysee meltdown hahah unique!

8. Ghostman's rating of the film Death in the Garden

An overlooked Bunuel film that's a masterpiece just like all his other films. Economical in its pacing, surreal, beautifully shot, and marxist as fuck. Bunuel could make a genre film as well as anyone else.

9. EdieEmm's rating of the film Death in the Garden

A bore, really, at least for the 1st hour. Standard - if very pretty - melodrama, with hints, sure, of the director's leanings - more intellectual cameos than anything of relevance... One brilliant moment of cinema where nature reanimates a snake. Then 45 more minutes which - albeit compelling - could've been as effective as a play. I dunno. These rave reviews... Part confirmation bias? Maybe just different tastes.

10. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Death in the Garden

Far too many characters at play for the transformations to be handled with care. The plot stumbles from a promising study of peasant exploitation, sexual labor, popular resistance and the role of the church as a tool of colonialism during the era of Latin American military dictatorship - before lurching into a muddled tale of personal redemption. That said, Bunuel's take on the Heart of Darkness is compelling cinema.

11. mpho3's rating of the film Death in the Garden

welcome to the jungle / watch it bring you to your sha na na na na knees knees .... "While its first half is unlikely ever to invite the rigorous readings that can be made of its second, it has a profound influence upon how we approach that second section. ...[as it] transitions from a film directed by Buñuel into a Buñuel film." - Scott Jordan Harris, PopMatters. 3.5 stars

12. David R Williams's rating of the film Death in the Garden

Love what the New York Times had to say about this: "Death in the Garden is full of marvelous, uniquely Buñuelian moments set in a melodramatic custard". I had my doubts going in but was convinced by the end...ranks amongst Bunuel's best.

13. Ben Loory's rating of the film Death in the Garden

nothing here that hasn't been done (and done better) in other movies (okay, except that moment with the snake!), but there's enough moral ambiguity in the characters to keep things interesting, and simone signoret is, as always, absolutely fascinating to watch.

14. Honeychurch's rating of the film Death in the Garden

wow. so much better than the other 1/2 of the Mubi Buñuel double bill (Robinson Crusoe). If you only have time for one...

15. Wyatt's rating of the film Death in the Garden

After watching "Robinson Crusoe" I thought I would really enjoy this film. It was good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous film. It had good parts to it, and the plot was interesting. Even the characters were entertaining to watch, from start to finish.

16. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Death in the Garden

Did I tell you the story about the eggs? That fat bastard was eating them two by two! Piccoli was quite handsome then. Very enjoyable.

17. Nunox's rating of the film Death in the Garden

It get's better every minute.

18. Ruiz Buñuel's rating of the film Death in the Garden

Somewhat a distant aunt of "Twilight of the Ice Nymphs" - at least the great ending is similar. But in "Twilight" the final scene feels like a consolation prize, in this case, it's the icing on the cake.

19. David Richards's rating of the film Death in the Garden

I thought I had seen all of Bunuel's films, but not this one.... and it was great.

20. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Death in the Garden

21. Samuel Andrade's rating of the film Death in the Garden

★★★ the surrealist's adventure movie.

22. Rachel Tyler's rating of the film Death in the Garden

The most important shot of the film, in my opinion, is the hoard of ants causing the neglected snake meat to eerily writhe and pump: reanimated.

23. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Death in the Garden

A really great find! Buñuel has so many card-carrying masterpieces that it's easy for gems like this to escape notice. As a brush with the mainstream, it both proves he could tell a simple story and subverts the idea that a story is ever so simple. The first half shows the ridiculousness of human rules, and the second shows what happens when those rules disappear. Ironic, perverse, and worthy of his name.

24. El Biffo's rating of the film Death in the Garden

One of the greatest filmmakers ever, Luis Bunuel directed 34 films, not a bad one in the lot.