1. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Death in Venice

I haven't been to Venice. It seemed a bit too risky. My brother and his wife went and they came back safe, but if you watch this movie and 'Comfort of Strangers' and 'Don't Look Now', you will see how deadly Venice really is. The most interesting aspect is how the description of the film varies from 'young man' and 'boy' or 'adolescent boy' depending on whether the reviewer considers it pedophilia or not.

2. G. Thomas Esmay's rating of the film Death in Venice

7/10. A slight (and occasionally creepy) melodrama is elevated by Visconti's sumptuous visual style. The production design is characteristically impeccable, and the visual compositions resemble masterful paintings. Visconti choreographs crowds to great effect, populating his shots with color and movement. Still, the central "romance" at the heart of the film is both a trifle ambiguous and somewhat off-putting.

3. mrpasquali's rating of the film Death in Venice

I found this movie incredibly boring. Nevertheless, the depiction of Venice and the mental state of a desiring hero is really remarkable. If only for looking at Tadzio and travelling to the Lido beaches, this movie deserves a seat.

4. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Death in Venice

5. Sara Lucas's rating of the film Death in Venice

please read the novel..................

6. FISCHER's rating of the film Death in Venice

Désirs inavouables, travestis sous le masque protecteur de l'esthétisme et de la rigidité morale ambiante; un film difficile qui risque fort de rebuter le spectateur par la volontaire lenteur de son déroulement et l'académisme apparent de sa réalisation... www.cinefiches.com

7. anacecil's rating of the film Death in Venice

Excelente !!! Nos muestra la oscura vida del personaje central, sus deseos homosexuales soñando con niños y al final su triste muerte.

8. Joel's rating of the film Death in Venice

This film drew me in and evaded me for a few years, I'd find myself starting it and then finding it too slow and strange, only to return to it a few months later, I read the book trying to digest it's meaning and then returned again. My final feeling is that there is some profoundly beautiful ideas swimming about beneath the surface of this flim and it draws me back. But confound that zoom!

9. ammar's rating of the film Death in Venice

10. Hugo Bonjour's rating of the film Death in Venice

11. Aardsy's rating of the film Death in Venice

Another beautifully crafted boring film.

12. Bruna de Moura's rating of the film Death in Venice

this is a really beautiful work of art. and mahler always helps. truly amazing

13. miles's rating of the film Death in Venice

It's just one big dance.

14. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film Death in Venice

The flashbacks come across as contrivances but there is something about Bogarde's performance that kept me glued to the screen in spite of the fact that making things so concrete kind of does a disservice to the brilliance of Mann's rendering of unrequited love, as it occurs soley in the mind of Ashenbach. Visconti gets kudos for even attempting to transkate even partially the tragedy of the story.

15. blyniukas's rating of the film Death in Venice

It's incredible how many people seem to be convinced that the boy character is a metaphor for the lost youth of the aging man, the embodiment of beauty and perfection that the old composer never managed to find. What a cock'n'bull theory of self-deception! It's Visconti, goddamn it - of course the film is about paedophiliac temptation of an old pathetic creep! The most hateful character in cinematic history, surely.

16. Meastro0's rating of the film Death in Venice

17. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Death in Venice

18. ceknklsn's rating of the film Death in Venice

19. poorlycurated's rating of the film Death in Venice

20. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film Death in Venice

Though perhaps a bit too ambiguous for it's own good, I disagree with a solely homosexual reading of this film. To my eyes, the boy was less a stand in for what the main character wanted and more for what he had lost, namely his youth and purety. Overall, I got more than a little bit of a VERTIGO vibe from this.

21. redux's rating of the film Death in Venice

Thomas Mann's endlessly noxious, guilt-ridden melodrama – already an anachronism in 1910 –, brought to the big screen by the most spineless of film directors, who went on to blame homosexuals for Nazism. Insufferable kitsch, responsible for the occurence of Derek Jarman.

22. Dafei Zhang's rating of the film Death in Venice

23. Stefano Pesenti C.'s rating of the film Death in Venice

Decadence in Venice. Awesome photography.

24. /katia's rating of the film Death in Venice

Film plus que chiant voire dégueu sur les bords (dirk bogarde voulant fricoter avec un gosse de 14 ans tel Socrate à la sortie des gymnases), discussions pseudo philosophiques sur la nécessité du mal dans l'art. Ça traine. Franchement, on dirait du Pasolini bad game (Theorema)..oops