1. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film From Afar

engaging and heartbreaking!

3. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film From Afar

4. Cartaphilus's rating of the film From Afar

5. Robert Burdock's rating of the film From Afar

An adequate film that offers something of an insight into the cultural divide between the affluent and the poor of Venezuelan society. Alfredo Castro as Armando plays a very convincing role tussling with demons from his past, and Luis Silva as Elder almost matches Castro’s performance. All in all though, perhaps just a little too homoerotic for me (I know, I've lived such a sheltered life :D ).

6. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film From Afar

Una película descaradamente diseñada para calar en el circuito de Festivales de cine de "qualité". El guión presenta serias inconsistencias. El final es traicionero y arbitrario en más de un sentido. Lo más destacable es la dirección de fotografía y el sonido. El actor que interpreta a Elder hace un trabajo meritorio.

7. Louisa Savignon's rating of the film From Afar

8. Meriç Aksu's rating of the film From Afar

9. BernardoL's rating of the film From Afar

Um excelente filme com uma realização soberba e uma cinematografia magnifica que peca apenas por ter uma história demasiado previsível.

10. Marta's rating of the film From Afar

third star cuz I'm kind.

11. matteo carini's rating of the film From Afar

script is good, directing could have been better...some in between scenes are missing here and there, especially for the ending

12. Cláudio Martins da Silva Alves's rating of the film From Afar

Through a masterful formal and narrative economy, Vigas creates a potent portrayal of the mysterious idiosyncrasies intrinsic to the power dynamics and erotic desires of the film’s central relationship. The directorial austere opacity would be futile without the presence of the two titanic performances that bring a necessary dose of human contradiction and volatility to the proceedings.

13. Miguel Duarte's rating of the film From Afar

14. Nuno Marques's rating of the film From Afar

15. José Neves's rating of the film From Afar

Too much opacity and contemplative formality "just because", or one more contemporary film making the brand image of a "quality cinema" for the festivals' sensitive public. The actors, though, are exemplary.

16. Atzin Ortiz González's rating of the film From Afar

From afar, indeed. The director deliberately puts a barrier to his main lead, creating a hermetic, cryptic, cold and ambiguous character for no particular reason. Therefor us, the viewer, are left wondering and unengaged to the oh-so-common context of a Venezuela socioculturally divided and with the possibility of an interesting relationship between two characters.

17. Mario Tomchev's rating of the film From Afar

not much of a story or at least a feeling, but Alfredo Castro + Sergio Armstrong forever

18. Pymo's rating of the film From Afar

Be aware to what you like...

19. Ognjen Isailović's rating of the film From Afar

It's nicely realized, the actors are good, but you can sense it's constructed from a top and that doesn't allow me to be with characters and believe them...

20. TZUHSIEN TANG's rating of the film From Afar

21. fernando del razo's rating of the film From Afar

22. Liviu Cozma's rating of the film From Afar

4? 3stars? I don't know. Not even sure I liked it. I think I like how the ending makes you question everything you've seen. Its ambiguity might actually be its strength by questioning motives, ethics and highlighting the subjective angle by which everything seen is always too far from you to have certainties. There's a beautiful quote from American Pastoral about "getting people wrong". Maybe it's about that. Or not.

23. msmichel's rating of the film From Afar

FNC '15 Golden Lion winner at Venice which seems surprising given the competition and the slightness of this tale. Alfredo Castro is quite good here as a man with homosexual desires but afraid of intimacy on all levels who takes up with a reluctant (at first) street punk. The tale lacks in originality and is far too safe in it's depiction...from afar indeed. A good first film but a lion winner....?

24. affasf's rating of the film From Afar

"Because gay relationships are cutting age, right?”– Venice jury