1. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Design for Living

Hollywood producing German interpretations of Paris streets, oh my!

2. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Design for Living

3. pluviosity's rating of the film Design for Living

Tom and George bromance was too endearing to be missed.

4. natalieb's rating of the film Design for Living

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Design for Living

Quel merveilleux petit bijou d'humour et de complicité ! www.cinefiches.com

6. ughchenausea's rating of the film Design for Living

"animal, vegetal or mineral?"

7. Diderot's rating of the film Design for Living

Definitely the most beautiful throuple that ever there was.

8. cinegeek.de's rating of the film Design for Living

(...)Ganz nebenbei setzt er dabei die Grundregel der romantischen Hollywood-Komödie ausser Kraft: Die der Monogamie. Normalerweise werden Treue und Vertrauen der Liebenden erprobt, um anschliessend eine Familie zu gründen. Wohl bemerkt: Lubitschs Zweifel an diesen Werten wirken dabei nie verletzend!(...) (Dazu gibts unsere Film List "Hollywoods wilde Jahre bis 1934" auf cinegeek.de

9. LeeRoy Turtledove's rating of the film Design for Living

"don't ever bow to double chins"

10. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film Design for Living

This is about knowing exactly when a scene must start and when it must end, how to tell what has happened in an ellipsis, how to project thoughts and feelings into objects, and there are even some great bits of silent comedy. In a few words, Lubitsch and Hetch stick to a way of conveying things indirectly, but not too indirectly, and they make the most of it.

11. SpacePirate's rating of the film Design for Living

A very racy film with the Lubitsch touch. March and Cooper work well off of each other here. A fine pre-Code era comedy/love triangle. Worth a look

12. pepoire's rating of the film Design for Living

This was great etc, but someone please coach me, I wish to acquire Miriam Hopkins' weirdo accent.

13. Fátima Pinheiro's rating of the film Design for Living

14. Brendan's rating of the film Design for Living

15. bartkl's rating of the film Design for Living

A tale of platonic love and art versus carnal desire and lust, revolving around Gilda, the mother of the arts, the heart of the love triangle. Although the plot seems rather superficial, it is very well written, including witty dialogues and clever symbolism. I am usually no fan of theatrical exaggerations, but here it's done so consistent and well that I was able to embrace it. A very charming and mature film.

16. El Biffo's rating of the film Design for Living

Surprisingly explicit sexuality for a Hollywood comedy starring Gary Cooper, and the theme is downright scandalous! 4.5 stars

17. Eugene Kotlyarenko's rating of the film Design for Living

18. Jack D. Fleischer's rating of the film Design for Living

19. Log Lady's rating of the film Design for Living

Racy, sexy, and intelligent. Pre-Code is a wonderful era, and in a lot of ways Design for Living is an adept representation of it. The leads work well together (although Hopkins seems to outshine the rest) and the dialogue is good. I just wasn't a fan of the plot, but maybe that's due to the original play.

20. Catherine Krummey's rating of the film Design for Living

21. José Neves's rating of the film Design for Living

Cinematography by Victor Milner. "Desire" list: Gary Cooper, again - but Fredric March and Miriam Hopkins are amazing . "(...) I will leave all and come and make the hymns of you,/None has understood you, but I understand you, /None has done justice to you, you have not done justice to/yourself,/None but has found you imperfect, I only find no/imperfection in you, (...) (Walt Whitman)

22. Aida's rating of the film Design for Living

That opening train scene was awesome.

23. espaçonimas's rating of the film Design for Living

A última segunda-feira clássica de Junho no Espaço Nimas trás-nos uma grande comédia de Ernst Lubitsch, UMA MULHER PARA DOIS. Não percam, é às 18h30! Preço único de 4€ Projecção em 35mm. TODOS AO NIMAS!

24. Cole Caudle's rating of the film Design for Living

Perhaps it suffers from watching it right after Trouble in Paradise. I felt there was this palimpsest like residue of the original play that unfortunately did not totally jibe with the cast and direction. Though there are plenty of joys to be had.