1. Balthaz21's rating of the film Despair

2. Sean Patrick Stevens's rating of the film Despair

Fascinating oddity with Bogarde great as always but why not have Bogarde play both parts?

3. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Despair

With a outstanding performance of Dirk Bogarde.

4. Ethan's rating of the film Despair

This is a brilliant film about a man battling his own insanity done in stunning melodramatic fashion by Rainer Werner Fassbinder who was the master of documenting German history and putting on full display the decadence and arrogance of each time period he portrayed on the screen. Also the cinematography by Michael Ballhaus is simply amazing with such vibrant colors making this feel like a Sirk film on acid.

5. miles's rating of the film Despair

was kinda let down by this as I was wanting to see this for ages. just a bit flimsy...

6. El Biffo's rating of the film Despair

I'm not so in love with Dirk Bogarde. And there isn't enough of Gottfried John.

7. FISCHER's rating of the film Despair

Oeuvre complexe, riche et essentielle du géant Fassbinder... www.cinefiches.com

8. kailanthropy's rating of the film Despair

Incest! Lavender! Nazis and mommy issues! Dirk Bogarde really sells it as a deeply insecure fraud teetering on lunacy.

9. J0NS's rating of the film Despair

10. Raymond Likes Subtitles's rating of the film Despair

Didn't grab me I'm afraid.Not one of Fassbinder's best in my opinion.

11. Henri de Corinth's rating of the film Despair

Nabokov and Fassbinder are for me, Tom Stoppard is not.

12. Samuel Donath's rating of the film Despair

I remember seeing this in my early 20s. Cemented my crush on Dirk Bogarde. It is interesting to look at his performance in this along with The Night Porter. Very interesting and well directed film by Fassbinder.

13. DanOffen's rating of the film Despair

A good psychological thriller held back by an attempt to make a deeper film. Good when it's winding and tense, dull when it's surreal.

14. Patrick Humphreys's rating of the film Despair

Bogarde claimed Fassbinder ruined this film through excessive editing while preparing the final cut for Cannes. Makes one wonder what the original cut was like.

15. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film Despair

The best thing about the film is the way Fassbinder uses the production design to "imprison" the central character; often shooting him fragmented, through doorways, windows, or as a figure behind panes of glass. It helps to give the impression of a character trapped by the parameters of a situation, or idea, both political and psychological.

16. actingoutpolitics's rating of the film Despair

17. Clarissa's rating of the film Despair

Just received my copy today and cannot wait to watch it.

18. Lee underwood's rating of the film Despair

I just heard this film will be available on dvd soon. Can anyone tell me when it will be available on dvd?

19. T. J. Harman's rating of the film Despair

I wish Bogarde and Fassbinder had made more films together. A great film for both of them...gorgeously shot examination identity that's both political and funny as it is typically dark.

20. kartina obskura's rating of the film Despair

21. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Despair

Another thing Fassbinder won't let us kid ourselves about: the liberating possibilities of multiplicity. The sense of the Nabokovian source does not survive the translation to cinema -- we know with a certainty that Hermann's double is no double; the ambiguity of the unreliable narrator becomes more obvious and less interesting here. What we are left with is an insistence upon essences, and that they will always out.