1. bryanvmh's rating of the film Desperate Living

I have never found the antics of deviants to be one bit amusing

2. Ronja's rating of the film Desperate Living

the moment they entered Mortville I felt as if I entered someone's dream, a masquerade. I somehow found Desperate Living much more disturbing than Pink Flamingos... The child in the refrigerator was the most unexpected thing I've seen in cinema. :) In a magical way Waters manages to create a masterpiece out of shit and trash.

3. tw's rating of the film Desperate Living

4. mimivulturul's rating of the film Desperate Living

5. Rebecca DeLucia's rating of the film Desperate Living

6. Odile~'s rating of the film Desperate Living

Peggy Gravel: Go home to your mother! Doesn't she ever watch you? Tell her this isn't some communist daycare center! Tell your mother I hate her! Tell your mother I hate you!

7. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Desperate Living

I love John Waters and this absurdist fantasy is the embodiment of everything that makes him wonderful!

8. Rocco's rating of the film Desperate Living

Hilarious and nasty. The cast does an admirable job though one can't help but miss Divine's presence.

9. Leroy Martin's rating of the film Desperate Living

10. Videograms's rating of the film Desperate Living

I HATE THE SUPREME COURT!!!

11. Joe Hackman's rating of the film Desperate Living

Delightfully crass/silly/disgusting. This has to be some of Waters' most outrageous work. What's most impressive is the scope of it all, especially considering the DIY nature in which it was all made. The sets have a charmingly derelict quality to them. If you just accept Waters' vision of a trashy kingdom replete with lesbians and rats and Edith Massey as their queen, then you'll have a good time, too.

12. sarah deetz's rating of the film Desperate Living

I am not prepared for any of this, but I think I'll love it.

13. El Biffo's rating of the film Desperate Living

"Go tell your parents I'm not running some kind of communist daycare center!"

14. Harry Rossi's rating of the film Desperate Living

My god this has got to be Waters' grossest and most morally repugnant film I've seen yet! And that is exactly why I loved it. Perhaps not my favorite by him but still great. Waters really knows how to push the limits of good taste to the breaking point while still keeping his film humorous and fun to watch. Also Edith Massey is a god. Gotta love this fucking gross little movie that seems to operate on its own logic.

15. Clarissa's rating of the film Desperate Living

One of the best quotes from this movie: "I am sick of listenin' to your bitchin'. The next time you feel a fit comin' on, go outside and bitch. Bitch at the air. Bitch at the trees. But don't bitch at us!"

16. sister chromatid's rating of the film Desperate Living

I don't think I was at all ready for this film at the age that I watched it (around 17). One of my first tastes of trash, though not one of my favourites from him.

17. Tabikenezer von Higglesbloom's rating of the film Desperate Living

MAN-HATING LESBIANS OVERTHROWING A MONARCHY RULED BY EDITH MASSEY. WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE?

18. Benjamin Oaks's rating of the film Desperate Living

19. Cynthia's rating of the film Desperate Living

20. nothere's rating of the film Desperate Living

It grew on me over time and its one of Water's most fun films.

21. Andrés Pff's rating of the film Desperate Living

i thought this was the worst john waters.

22. Garçon Manqué's rating of the film Desperate Living

this is so bad, i'ts good. dirrrrty.

23. Ally the Manic Listmaker's rating of the film Desperate Living

24. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Desperate Living

Not quite Dreamland. The end of the line for the underground films before the jump into the semi-mainstream of Polyester. A grungy fable laced with the usual mordant humour and trash aesthetic. Divine is sorely missed, although Stole equips herself well as the shrieking harridan, Peggy Gravel. A satisfyingly dirty mix of mild digs at social attitudes, exclamatory ham dialogue and Waters' upturned logic.