1. gaporama's rating of the film Diabolique

Apart from the rushed ending, a perfect thriller!

2. lbunuel's rating of the film Diabolique

The last three minutes just ruined this for me. I give it to Clouzot: the mood here is spot on and there is serious mastery at work in the mise-en-scène. But in the end it feels like a gimmick, pure and simple - we were just being tricked, and as we learn the truth the film loses all of its significance and charm.

3. Tyler Barton's rating of the film Diabolique

Nothing is better than when you don't see a twist coming.

4. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Diabolique

Still the most effective "we lost the dead body" thriller that is made. The ending still kicks a punch in the gut even if I know how it ends and show how normal contact eye lenses can scare more than a million made up monsters. Vera Clouzot is also so gorgeously vulnerable in this movie it is hard not to love her. Only the police investigator appearing at the end feels like a forced after-thought to the movie.

5. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Diabolique

Watched this in an old cinema off the Bvd Saint-Michel. Sometimes a screenwriter and a filmmaker just give a damn, and the result is nothing particularly meaningful or historical, but entertaining. And isn't that what cinema is all about?

6. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Diabolique

7. pintobean's rating of the film Diabolique

The last 10 minutes took this from a 4 to a 5 and back down to a 4 in my mind. There's so much there and, to mirror what others have said about ambiguity, I feel it would have been infinitely more thought-provoking had the ending been left more open. Alas. Still a gem of a film, with a knot of tension at its core directors have been trying to replicate for decades.

8. patríciapinho's rating of the film Diabolique

i don't like this concept. women pretending to work with each other whilst secretly plotting with an abusive, cheating, shrimp dick of a man?? this is the reverse gone girl i didn't ask for

9. abyantama's rating of the film Diabolique

10. Enrico Gaudenzi's rating of the film Diabolique

11. MistaRichard's rating of the film Diabolique

A criminally underappreciated suspense masterpiece. It's amazing to see the influence this had on Hitchcock, clearly noticeable in his following work ("Vertigo" and "Psycho", just to name a couple...); and that final scene...

12. yovargas's rating of the film Diabolique

A murder mystery with a couple good twists but slow, listless pacing ruins the intended moody atmosphere. The ending is a knockout, delivering some genuine edge-of-your-seat thrills, but it's not worth the long, dull ride to get there. This one gets a C-.

13. FISCHER's rating of the film Diabolique

Une splendide oeuvre vénéneuse et intemporelle qui se regarde chaque fois avec un plaisir accru et un délicieux frisson rétrospectif. On se souviendra longtemps de la fameuse scène anthologique de la "résurrection" de Paul Meurisse hors de la baignoire. www.cinefiches.com

14. wiwitaek's rating of the film Diabolique

at first, a character Véra Clouzot plays was really annoying to watch, made me want to slap her hard and it was put a great deal of shadow of horrible judgement about this movie. After a while, I began to think, damn, it's the whole point, right? And that's exactly moment I love Diabolique instantly. Anyway, I'm afraid its way better than any Hitchcock's suspenses.

15. Renton47's rating of the film Diabolique

'Diabolique' now feels familiar, it's no longer novel to have us follow and sympathise with victims plotting a murder. Here the layering builds mystery, as we slowly understand the dynamics and the extent of the crime; it still seems remarkable to have such an open understanding between the wife and her husband's lover. So I admire but don't adore - a little slow, a little unsurprising for today's expectations.

16. Muraki's rating of the film Diabolique

diabolical..loved every bit of it..the ending scene was truly great & mind blowing (the kid scene)

17. Chris's rating of the film Diabolique

wow... absolutely perfect acting, twist(s) very unexpected

18. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Diabolique

19. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Diabolique

Didn't want to like it, because it was recommended to me by a snob. It was undeniably good.

20. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Diabolique

The original twist! 'Diabolique' went where no film had gone before (at the time), telling its viewers a story, only revealing tot them in the last few moments that an entirely different story was being told the whole time. The idea of such a dramatic plot twist, a complete 180° turnaround from the perceived understanding of events, was unheard of at the time, and in fact paved the way for so many films to come...↓

21. James Mackin's rating of the film Diabolique

A stellar horror film from the master of tension.

22. ceknklsn's rating of the film Diabolique

23. ammar's rating of the film Diabolique

24. cherbourgdoll's rating of the film Diabolique

the end was honestly so unexpected for me

← Previous 1 3 4 5