1. Le Ciné Chez Nico's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

2. Rémy Le Coze's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

3. SpacePirate's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Prob my second fav Bunuel, which is uncharacteristic in its lack of surrealism on display here. Moreau and Piccoli play off each other well. Idk what it is, maybe it is the non-Bunuel feel to the film that makes it feel so unique and cool in his canon. Worth a viewing. 4.5 stars

4. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Very well directed, there is some hidden Buñuel fetishism worth checking.

5. Epinephrin's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

This was my first Bunuel. I thought I will get flashed but I wasnt. The story is incomplete in my eyes. There are a lot of motifs (the different types of slimy men, the death of the child, the maid with ?? secret agenda), the frigid, antisemitism, nationalism, rich vs poor) but none of them really followed or deepened. In the end you are like - ok, what was all this about?

6. mahdis's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

7. Razna_'s rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

8. cin·aes·the·tic's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

I have to admit (once again) that I'm certain that I would've never seen some movies were it not for MUBI: this is one of them. I know the term 'realism' can be overused, but here I think it applies, even with the surrealist hints of Bunuel's earlier work surfacing here and there. No character--except the child--is morally unscathed by the end of the film. The languid, earthy countryside becomes Celestine's prison.

9. koolacct's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

4.5 / Buñuel innuendo, mystery, plaintive approach to direction and storytelling so evident. Also of note, if you like calculating but so frustratingly self-inserting characters, Jeanne Moreau will bring you such satisfying(?) immense distress

10. Nick Potter's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Jeanne Moreau existing in this film is more than enough reason to watch, but this was the first Luis Bunuel feature to begin the process of winning me over. A year and a half later, it still does the trick.

11. Lee Donowitz's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

12. mpho3's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Deeming this "a droll vision of Eden during the Fall, human privilege battling for its own existence," film critic Michael Akinson affirms that "DoaC pivots on Buñuel’s favorite subject: men twisted inside like rope by the tensions of their own absurd desires and by their preposterous presumption that they’re worthy of their own obscure objects." Great casting.

13. Ralph Melcher's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Under the surface of what could be a bourgeois soap opera is a social morass that includes rape, murder, sexual fetishism and racial hatred. Amid all of this is the almost casual rise of an intense fascistic nationalism. All too familiar. There is no justice and no one, including our tour guide, Celestine, possesses the agency to avert disaster. I loved the final cut of a mob vanishing in the distance.

14. Katya Kazbek's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Not my favorite Buñuel, but enough greatness to be found.

15. zubee's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

16. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

In a Bunuel's factory, this is a Cadillac.

17. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Luis Buñuel's black comedy is breezy and darkly hilarious and I loved it!

18. Hakan Karakus's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Luis you are amazing person. And amazing life story.

19. David R Williams's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Great piece on this film by Slant: https://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/diary-of-a-chambermaid

20. Josh the Bookseller's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

My man Buñuel really knows how to end a movie.

21. PJ's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

I love Buñuel but it’s a pretty dark time to tell you something you probably already know. The type of people he takes aim at never listen anyway - Buñuel knows that and shrugs.

22. Monica_'s rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Sexual repression here merely serves as a symbol. The murderer and the maid is the same kind of person. Both of them will do whatever they can to achieve what they want, be it good or evil. The cloud says clearly: there will be a pour.

23. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

As successful as a French battle plan.

24. adamjaymorris's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

It's fun to watch Moreau's inscrutable ennui seduce everyone else in the film, but I wasn't satisfied by the denouement.