1. mubianer's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

2. redux's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Contrary to the title, there is no confessional perspective in Bunuel's de-eroticized take, a political allegory about ineffective resistance to fascism. Moreau is inscrutability personified, moral ambiguity on two socially mobile legs. Does she have a subversive agenda or she just complies with the scum? Does she care at all? That is the question.

3. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

7.9/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-35b

4. Ameille's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

5. Diderot's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

One of my favorite Bunuel films, and certainly one of the best adaptations of this story. Bunuel's taste for psycho-sexual menace replaces Renoir's class-struggle romance, and Jeanne Moreau is as perfect in this version as Goddard was in Renoir's.

6. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

I had a hell of a time finding this version. Everyone seems to prefer the Renoir version. Bah! Renoir turned it into a romance. Jacquot turned it into a melodrama. Only Bunuel could go this dark. Moreau is perfect. In this one the subtext becomes very important. Your expectations are thwarted. It's the dark humor and fearlessness that I love about his work with J.C. Carriere.

7. FISCHER's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Plaisant et méchant ! www.cinefiches.com

8. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Gran retrato del deseo sexual masculino manifestado en una amplitud de rangos que abarca desde el fetichismo hasta la violación.

9. Aardsy's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Just like Wimpy Kid's Dairy: full of fetishes.

10. Mighty Quinn's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

My review: https://letterboxd.com/dynamitefilms/film/diary-of-a-chambermaid/

11. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

12. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

There is a great visual metaphor to depict the rape of the girl in the forest: A wild pig chases after a rabbit in the forest.

13. cherbourgdoll's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

I enjoyed it but it didn't amaze me

14. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

15. 5000yearoldbogmummy//Rhett's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

An enthusiastic two star review. A cutting look at bourgeois 'culture' through the lens of a woman navigating a terse, tight web of intrigue. It's political elements make this extremely relevant to our situation today. Some beautiful shots/camera work and excellent performances make this one to see.

16. HSBilly's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

one of my favorite bunuel films that lacks of surrealist imagery.

17. SpacePirate's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

18. letters never sent's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Everyone, being human. Others just in more sinister and evil ways. Quite straightforward for a Buñuel film.

19. Samuel Donath's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

I watch this film at least twice a year. At least. This film is fantastic. Bunuel and Moreau?!?!?! What follows is a beautiful, dark, tricky, and sexual tale. FANTASTIC! I only wish the Criterion Collection edition wasn't out of print.

20. teresa romã's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

21. mad.lucas's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

Another adorable piece of art by master Buñuel, even if it doesn't contain the elements of surrealism that are common in most of his films.

22. Valentin Alexandru's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

23. ramosbarajas's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

In many regards, a direct and uncomplicated film. Buñuel knew what he wanted to say, and it shows. And yet, it's ambiguous by choice, and this is its greatest strength. Moreau's performance is great as the complex chambermaid. The script foreshadows many details, and they pay off nicely. The critical look at society, from all angles is expertly accomplished. Probably one of my favorites by him.

24. Art Vandelay's rating of the film Diary of a Chambermaid

While superficially one of Buñuel's most lucid and orderly works, Diary Of A Chambermaid is regardlessly one of his most beguiling, inexplicable, and unsettling pictures, containing some of his most indelible and erotically-charged imagery––the snails slithering over Claire's corpse; Jeanne Moreau's lovely legs, footwear, and maid's uniform––amidst a tapestry of pastoral repression.