1. EdieEmm's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

Early iteration of Bresson's awkward-yet-luminous underdog martyrs, trodden on by a hypocritical & mercenary society, poor in spirit & substance. Finding their way, despite cruelty, despite the camera's imposed austerity, despite Bresson's relentless precision - to the Sublime and transcendence. Leaving society to face its own shame... Bergman will riff on this one nicely, if less earnestly, later, in Winter Light.

2. eugenie de sade's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

best film ever made w a male protagonist

3. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

Sitting at the front in the dark room of the cinematheque, my head slightly inclined, watching a Bresson like I'm watching a religious icon. An epiphany.

4. bryanvmh's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

5. FISCHER's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

D'une grande austérité, d'un extrême dépouillement cinématographique, cette remarquable oeuvre janséniste du réalisateur risque fort de dérouter... www.cinefiches.com

6. Balthaz21's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

7. ermete polpette's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

8. Robert Burdock's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

Touches the soul in such a way that so few other films ever could. It's closing lines transverberate the heart at its very centre.

9. Gerdrût's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

"As soon as I closed my eyes, sadness overwhelmed me." Beautiful!

10. Mr. Marston's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

11. alice's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

Come in tutti i film di Bresson che ho visto, ritrovo anche qui quella calma irreale, quella recitazione rigida, didascalica (con qualcosa di teatrale, forse) che mi sembrano elementi costituenti e fondanti della sua poetica. Il protagonista ha il viso dolcissimo, inerme, esaltato di un santo.

12. ceknklsn's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

13. raghumenonj's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

14. Erik F.'s rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

I feel bad for not liking this more than I do. I've seen all of Bresson's films and this one is my least favorite.

15. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

16. Justine Vernera's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

I think I have problems with the coldness of Bresson's main characters (just like in "Pickpocket") which keeps me away from full involvement in movie-watching process although the narrative is surprisingly exciting. It seems that the thoughts of the main actor dominate over his emotions which, at times, makes it difficult to get truly absorbed in the film. Something to watch again and again to "get it" completely.

17. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

18. Christina Themeli's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

19. crnstsc's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

20. rachel collier's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

21. The Mayor Of Hell's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

Poor tormented sweet soul. Feel like that actor who played vicar actually died during this film. Method

22. Muraki's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

one of my favorite cinematic monologues.

23. TheCinemaAdventurist's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

Robert Bresson's films tend to be slow, but it manages to put you in a trance that puts you into the story that truly is inspirational.

24. Neither/Nor's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

The discontinuity of an individual: despair of the image, despair of sound, despair of the text. The image outlives its voice, and the duration of the text is an endless rupture...there is nowhere to begin the trace of difference, the sign of the protagonist was written before language... and its final, blind smile will always dream that it was imperceptible.