1. Denis Zordan's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

2. dionysus67's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

Even if the first-person narration cannot be seen as a thoroughly absorbing device, and even if Bresson's visual poetry has not fully articulated the spiritualization of matter, this early exploration to the evil's habitat in the French countryside has an interiority that remains unmatched. The accumulation of moral cracks on the young priest's faith is one that pushes the ascetic calling to theodicy and sacrifice.

3. Ethan's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

This is a beautifully haunting film that intimately shows one man's dedication to his faith. Bresson had the ability to make you feel the agony drip off of the screen. Paul Schrader must have been heavily inspired by this film when he did First Reformed.

4. martial canterel's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

The voice-over method of the movie which rearranges border between the image was presented and the image which could have been deliberately imagined and text as narrative framework of dearest priest are correlated within the particular dimensions rather than following each other, the past theme of diary cannot be tangible in the moment of the present. I assume his asceticism also reflect on contemplative mystic act.

5. MisterColo93's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

6. $ROBINROSA$'s rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

White faces, empty/dead eyes. The tribulation of physical life. The cult of death. Powerless.

7. Renton47's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

To say little of the film, I stumbled in right as the film was beginning, sneaking off a bit early from my volunteer shift at the museum. It struck me as somewhat punkish, exhausting edits giving a sense of rebellion. I drifted off for a solid 20 and awoke very sad, a post-shrooms haze that shifted my thoughts between the slow death of the film and personal dramas. I considered leaving. Think I will love this soon.

8. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

2.2 stars. It is perhaps unreasonable for me to give such a low score to a film so immaculately acted & staged. The fault here is not Bresson's, but that of Georges Bernanos. I passionately disagree with the film's life-denying theology. I fear that maybe Bresson is taking a critical stance that I'm missing (I hope so!) but it seems like a faithful adaptation of the novel's religious intent. (I am a Unitarian, obvs)

9. Seesaw's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

What does it matter? All is grace under the gaze of omniscience Camera.

10. el.'s rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

By far my most favorite Bresson film.

11. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

12. film_frame's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

Are you there God? If not, i'm fucked!

13. jewelsofglory's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

A powerful existential piece. Incredibly moving film that tosses between commitment to faith and apathy. Brought by physical pain and the death of his contemporaries torments a priest to question his belief. Alone, he feels he cannot turn to anyone besides God for Love. Yet, he is tortured by His silence.

14. Doğukan Doğu's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

Après avoir regardé ce film, je dis juste que je suis décidé à rester désormais étranger à toute polémique humaine.

15. Luca Angelini's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

16. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

17. Riddle, van, stellar's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

18. EdieEmm's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

An early iteration of Bresson's awkward-yet-luminous underdog martyrs, trodden on by a hypocritical & mercenary society - poor in spirit & substance. Finding their way, despite cruelty, despite the camera's imposed austerity, despite Bresson's relentless precision - to the Sublime, and transcendence. Leaving society to its shame... Bergman will riff on this one nicely (if less earnestly) later, in Winter Light.

19. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

I sincerely believe that love is what all religions are based on but over the centuries people have turned that pure love into a product or a thing, and destroyed the meaning of that love, where it comes from and its importance. The film is a lesson all of itself, never forces Christianity onto its audience but merely examines its pros and cons while striving to alleviate the fear of death.

20. eugenie de sade's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

best film ever made w a male protagonist

21. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

Sitting at the front in the dark room of the cinematheque, my head slightly inclined, watching a Bresson like I'm watching a religious icon. An epiphany.

22. bryanvmh's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

23. FISCHER's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest

D'une grande austérité, d'un extrême dépouillement cinématographique, cette remarquable oeuvre janséniste du réalisateur risque fort de dérouter... www.cinefiches.com

24. Balthaz21's rating of the film Diary of a Country Priest