1. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Digging for Fire

Had many expectations from this one. Disliked it, apart from some clever dialogue. 2,4/5

2. Rafael Zen's rating of the film Digging for Fire

This time, Jake Johnson and Rosemarie DeWitt's charisma couldn't save a film from tasting bland. The intention is nice and the couple going separated ways on a weekend reveals a little of both, but nothing memorable or deep enough. Although I enjoy Swamberg's work a lot - this is just a regular film with a great cast.

3. saitosouta's rating of the film Digging for Fire

4. InsertOzuReferencehere's rating of the film Digging for Fire

One of Swanberg's most refined films. Obviously, his type of cinema wouldn't work if it was too focused or disciplined. Reminds me a little of an old Hong Sang-Soo or even a Suwa. The ending worked beautifully - poetic without being too sentimental. Like all of Swanberg's good films, I'm going to have to defend this to death, I'm sure.

5. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film Digging for Fire

The protagonist is digging for something...I can't think of a more egregious symbol of something being wrong in a protagonist's life; on top of that everything about it just seems kind of pointless.

6. Renton47's rating of the film Digging for Fire

This film felt very real to me, that feeling of breaking rhythm with your everyday life to have an out of character experience which of course brings you temporarily closer to the sentiment of home... A nice film about who we are with the ones we love and the self we lose in that essence. I prefer the focus of 'Happy Christmas', but I am just happy watching Swanberg actors drive around with pretty music playing.

7. filmcapsule's rating of the film Digging for Fire

A bit shaggy for my taste, but I can totally understand others finding this relatable and moving. It ends on a sweet note and has a genuine interest in the independent lives of each character, but it explores these threads to the detriment of the (ostensible) primary narrative of Johnson and DeWitt. It becomes a bit silly to have every Uber driver bare his or her soul.

8. Craig Knittle's rating of the film Digging for Fire

One of Swanberg's more meaningful films, that meanders aimlessly for a bit, but packs a surprisingly emotional ending.

9. courtneylesueur's rating of the film Digging for Fire

I'm a fan of Swanberg's trademark improvised dialogue, and I'm a fan of every single person in this film. BUT, there was nothing there? At all? Besides mountains of symbolism. Meh.

10. dave gunn's rating of the film Digging for Fire

One of my favorite Swanberg films, and proof that he is capable of getting better. Plus, so many people I like are in this. This is about one weekend wherein a married couple rediscovers what it means to be individuals outside of their partnership.

11. kian94's rating of the film Digging for Fire

joe swanberg has some problem with performing his brilliant ideas,and somehow with some extremely simple mise en scene! anyway in this one his good enough to forget about that

12. thomasjeff16's rating of the film Digging for Fire

The struggle between the individual and the collective.

13. Laurence Hervieux-Gosselin's rating of the film Digging for Fire

14. La Schiff's rating of the film Digging for Fire

i appreciated the absurdist allegory- a certain understated comedy about it. happily surprised by the depth, that i wasn't necessarily expecting from seeing trailer. i also just appreciate this film's morals, it stands out in the pack. tactfully shot as well.

15. f-nanda's rating of the film Digging for Fire

I can't believe I waited so long for this. REALLY. The only great thing is the cast but MEH they don't do shit. I'm really pissed about this one. WHERE'S THE FUCKING MAGIC?

16. lepetitjermey's rating of the film Digging for Fire

17. Nathan Grey Hollis's rating of the film Digging for Fire

I really enjoyed the first two acts of this film. Then he buried a jacket.

18. Warren Spratley's rating of the film Digging for Fire

The cosmos, two members of the human race, one reaching inward, the other outward, both toward some conceptualization of the sublime, which is of course also oblivion. Joe Swanberg's ideas are vast; his is a state of mind which constantly, unassumingly seeks the fleetingly revolutionary, the origins of man, the dichotomy between identity & community/family. Swanberg does so much with performances, with environment.

19. GoSpeedGo!'s rating of the film Digging for Fire

Now it's obvious that Drinking Buddies was - in a good way - a total fluke that Swanberg may not be able to reproduce. That "magic" he talks about in interviews simply isn't there; chemistry between actors is mostly nonexistent; plot is a lesser variation of what we've seen before; music doesn't fit. Such a shame, though, because I still kind of liked it.

20. Rocco's rating of the film Digging for Fire

A surprisingly dense film considering that it's from the director of Drinking Buddies. Not only is this a better film but it has a clever hook which gives it a more metaphorical edge than most indie comedies. I love the separate existential journies the two leads take especially since a less assured director would have had them discover these things together in a more melodramatic fashion. Very promising!

21. Joe Hackman's rating of the film Digging for Fire

Neo-magical realism as only Joe Swanberg could do it. I love seeing famous actors like Sam Rockwell and Anna Kendrick and Orlando Bloom do naturalistic acting; it's a simple pleasure in this world of explosions and VFX and structure.

22. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Digging for Fire

Strong symbolism in an ordinary story that just lulls along without interest. While the themes of coming to terms with your past as well as maintaining identity in marriage and parenthood are well developed, it doesn't push many emotional buttons due to its dull and obvious typicality. It may have much to say about personal growth, but Digging for Fire offers little surprise or divergence from similar films.