1. FISCHER's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

Le renouveau du cinéma anglais dans toute sa variété et sa richesse... www.cinefiches.com

2. Nachtreich's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

3. P D Dawson's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

A powerful return to the past through characters that sing and are merry, but beneath the surface there is unhappiness and melancholy. An open front door features early in the film and we see through it as if this were the lens through which we see this family, from deaths to marriages, all pass through this door and we watch on looking into the past. Brilliant film that feels so real we feel like voyeurs looking on.

4. nessmj's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

Davies has given us a gift of a musical with an unerring camera documenting an imperfect world. The lack of camera movement gives such a sense of calm as to nearly unnerve us in moments of horror with stories revolving around the nucleus of a patriarchal terror or the same lives in a world without him. We cope with these people through music, one can't help but want to sing with them as we face our own tribulations.

5. smndvdcl's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

Terence Davies' magnum opus - poetic realism that highlights the harrowing plight of domestic subjugation.

6. Kamran's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

My experience with Terence Davies' Distant Voices, Still Lives, and how it became a 100/100 film: http://bit.ly/22EeS65

7. lamouchequilouche's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

Dexterously blending nostalgia and family drama, Terence Davies' working class chronicle is a family epic told in just 80 minutes. Strong performances by the whole cast.

8. Chris_Parker's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

One of the most emotionally overwhelming experiences I've ever had.

9. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

"There's no MGM musical scored to a gay romance, you know?" illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2014/09/episode-30-first-terence-davies-episode.html

10. Mtume Gant's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

Davies masterwork. One of those pictures that stick to your bones and moves you to your very core. Culturally specific but a subject anyone can understand. I love this film

11. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

What an excellent film from Terrence Davies, featuring some of the best framing I have ever seen! This is my first of Davies' oeuvre, but certainly not my last!

12. CarlosEsquives's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

Nuevamente Davies dialoga con dos tiempos: el pasado y el presente. Sus personajes, una familia de clase trabajadora, atormentada por un padre que castiga, pero que en ocasiones sorprende con ternura y hasta redención. Hay una necesidad por manifestar una dicotomía, el amor y el odio, como el que sienten sus hijos hacia el padre. La luz juega un rol interesante. Los protagonistas siempre andan en penunbra, lo trágico

13. Bjanicas's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

Sing-along cinema. Everything that we see and, specially, hear in this movie has the shape and feel of events sifted through memory. Terence Davies uses music to build remembrance and develops a masterful way of framing to bring those distant echos to the inside of the still frames of his (said-to-be) family life. The final result is not perfect, sometimes uneven, but it certainly is painfully beautiful.

14. cubapuddingjr's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

completely floored me. freda dowie's character possibly greatest depiction of dignity in age besides alvin straight. also sort of marvellously beyond description (non-linear, fragmented, fake-auto-bio, stream-of-whatever). seldom ever seeming too much directed at all, except for when it is: christmas sequence one of most beautiful takes oat.

15. REH1101's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

I keep missing this when they show it on IFC. Anyone know where it can be downloaded or purchased?

16. Trevor's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

Davies' most perfectly realized film and an absolute masterpiece. Almost unbearably moving and gorgeous, with a stellar cast. Hard to believe it lasts only 85 minutes, as it feels like a film that could go on forever.

17. Jesse Furgurson's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

18. universe.'s rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

Too fragmentary for my taste.

19. Laurs Kemp's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

20. Ingrid Bergman's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

This is a very moving and personal look at a family that would have been too harrowing to watch if it were not for the genuine compassion of Terence Davies for the characters and his brilliant and innovative use of the musical score.The score provides a soft focus lens for the brutality of the patriarch of the family and the ongoing consequences in addition to an accurate timeframe for the unfolding drama.

21. elmer_fishsticks's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

It's just like if Tree of Life were good.

22. SAMMAX's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

It's just like a ripple on the stream of time.

23. comeandsee's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives

I feel this film was excellent in parts and at others got the tone badly wrong. the first section was almost relentless in the sorrow it presented and this sort of overwhelmed me at the time. the performances were excellent and some of the framing was masterly. the need for songs every five seconds also seemed a bit too contrived. compared to a similar format of autobiography in Tarkovsky, it lacks somewhat.

24. maurino's rating of the film Distant Voices, Still Lives