1. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Documenteur

Although the sound dubbing and editing is rough, there is a real warmth to Varda's treatment of this simple story - actually, more a picture than a story as such. She uses the camera in an empathetic yet unsentimental way, occasionally pausing space and time to focus on the human figure in both studied solitude and loving union, allowing Emilie's internal world to emanate subtly from the screen.

2. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Documenteur

2.8 stars. Varda's cinema at its most muted and gloomy. It is as though the poetic impulse has been thwarted, tripping over itself in endless language games. Semiotics is bad for your mental health! Still, Varda never ever bullshits and that is always appreciated.

3. Ariel Rowan's rating of the film Documenteur

the best portrait of quiet emotion

4. James Green's rating of the film Documenteur

Very off-putting narration, deeply clunky poetry. I considered silent moments respite

5. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Documenteur

Mamou's performance is so miserably erotic, it's believable. The relationship between her and the only thing that gives her purpose (her son) is waning and brims with chemistry. This is partly due to the impressive work by Little Demy. Recommended; particularly if you like Jonas Mekas.

6. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Documenteur

Written and directed by Agnes Varda, Documenteur is a good, but not great, mix of mood and character. The short runtime doesn't really feel suited to the languid mood, but lead actress Sabine Mamou makes the whole thing more enjoyable and interesting.

7. Yanyu Sun's rating of the film Documenteur

-I love it when you smile. Why don't you laugh more often? -Sometimes I forget.

8. Simon's rating of the film Documenteur

9. Jeremy's rating of the film Documenteur

Loved the look and mood of this, the cinematography and direction are outstanding. It almost has a Rohmer-sque feel. Definitely not what you'd call a feel good movie but there's a desperation, an ennui that feels compelling and real.

10. Issy Chan's rating of the film Documenteur

I can only offer my opinion as I respect Varda's work and wouldn't feel it my place to critique it, but I'm not sure her style is to my taste. I understand we are studying the inner workings of woman in a lonely period of her motherhood, but perhaps it's just dated, or perhaps I just didn't buy the poetry in her meandering thoughts. OK.

11. Robert H's rating of the film Documenteur

A poetic and gentle perspective of a settled expat after a divorce. I had a few minor audio problems with the stream but enjoyed the tenderness of the mother-son relationship and the bond she was trying to break.

12. jurism's rating of the film Documenteur

Beautiful observation of intensity of single parent and child relationship, self perception and everyday life in coastal California in 70s.

13. The Society of Malcontents's rating of the film Documenteur

'Our foreignness to the world consists in the fact that the stranger, the foreigner, is in us, in the fact that in the world of the authoritarian commodity, we regularly become strangers to ourselves', (Tiqqun).

14. FISCHER's rating of the film Documenteur

Admirable petite production faite de finesse et de spontanéité ! www.cinefiches.com

15. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Documenteur

16. DrFirestone's rating of the film Documenteur

A film about separation, loneliness, alienation. While this sounds rather depressing, the tone here is warm and filled with hope - so typical for Agnès Varda. Beautifully charming portray of Los Angeles 1981, I loved the technicolor images - the composition, framing, and camerawork are absolutely fantastic. Excellent film about difficult matters, with nostalgic, yet still positive and uplifting notes...

17. mciszczon's rating of the film Documenteur

Although I had a hard time understanding some of the off-screen commentary, I loved the film for its delicacy and stillness. Emilie is shown as a very tender yet strong personality and I can't help the strange feeling of compassion and attraction to her!

18. Bilouaustria's rating of the film Documenteur

A film that absolutely refuses to be put in a box. It is about nothing really but at the same time the most personal and autobiographical movie you will find. It is both with actors, family members, close friends and strangers. It captures Los Angeles as it is and still plays on a fictional level and stylish level the way the film is tought and edited. The play with the words, the almost experimental voice over. Wow.

19. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Documenteur

Not quite sure what this supposed to be. It might have been a good essay but not necessary a movie.

20. yannisky's rating of the film Documenteur

Another gem of a film by Varda - the depression and disconnect of the protagonist is poignantly captured in striking images, narration and awkward encounters - without it ever feeling dramatic or sensationalised.

21. msmichel's rating of the film Documenteur

'An emotion picture' Varda's final 'California period' film is perhaps the most personal of the series despite it being a fiction film. Sabine Mamou plays a veiled version of Varda while Varda's own son Mathieu plays Martin, Sabine's fictional son. The film at 61min goes by very quickly and what it lacks in story it makes up for in emotion and observation.

22. EdieEmm's rating of the film Documenteur

More than the wordplay, what I think I disliked, or reacted to, was seeing a particular type of 'weakness' - a faded, meek diminishment that for me is very gendered (and that apparently seems to trigger my contempt) - handled in such a straightforward, non-judgmental way. Leave it to Varda to make me confront some internalized sexism and come away more empathetic. Still, not her best. Personal growth notwithstanding.

23. Chris Landry's rating of the film Documenteur

Agnes Varda makes films for grownups. She is as great as Tarkovsky or Bresson.

24. Kamran's rating of the film Documenteur

Quite thought provoking and formally provocative, but rather dry, stiff, imprecise. 71/100 - Good.