1. Kelley Dong's rating of the film Dope

super funny and in GENERAL it was good - that being said, some parts were way too fully realized (too much) whereas others (backstories for minor characters, complex moral development) were way too underdeveloped

2. Zac Weber's rating of the film Dope

Full of energy and never dull, Dope is a prescient piece of contemporary filmmaking. The three main stars' spirit and out-of-the-box style drive the film, and it was refreshing to encounter black characters without deep discussions of race for the audience's sake. I also enjoyed the playful elements, such as the freeze frame of Malcolm driving the yellow mini, or when he's dreaming on the bus ride home.

3. Toni Nordli's rating of the film Dope

Black nerd wins in life by becoming gangzta: selling drugs & scare the bullies by pointing a gun at them. Leaves the original self to become a standard dude and gets the lady in the end. How can he write an analysis of what Ice Cube meant was a Good Day be a grade A student. How can he end up in Harvard by writing an entry essay to them ending with: "if I were white, would you even ask me that question?". Dope

4. smeef's rating of the film Dope

2.5, this film was hilarious but the plot was a ridiculous mess and i didn't get as much out of it (in terms of a race discussion) as i feel like i should've

5. Sarah Fonseca's rating of the film Dope

My favorite 'Different World'-influenced film so far.

6. Olivier Bélanger's rating of the film Dope

7. flamingo jones's rating of the film Dope

Incredibly disappointing, as I was really looking forward to this movie. Messy, confused story (or lack thereof), excruciatingly long setup, weak acting from most involved, and problematic racial politics made this a boring, frustrating viewing experience. The movie tries to make a statement in the final 5 minutes, but it's too clichéd and too late. Famuyiwa focused too much on style and atmosphere, sacrificing plot.

8. ramosbarajas's rating of the film Dope

The plot was good, even if it did drag from the middle towards the end. However, the fact that we have a story featuring black and latino kids is awesome. It feels very vibrant and stylized, and it carries that great energy throughout.

9. Scotch's rating of the film Dope

The film is rich in exploring race, class and the lack of upward mobility in some of these neighborhoods with cool cat color and some lol jokes. The Bitcoin bit dragged though and the PSA ending felt #awkward. But finally, some kids of color in a coming of age flick or really, any fucking flick at all. #thatmollythough

10. A.B. II: The Return's rating of the film Dope

This film is certainly not lacking in ambition, mixing elements of hood dramas, film noir, dark comedy, and social commentary. The trouble is, it doesn't mix those elements together particularly well. The grittiness of the dramatic moments clash too much with the silliness of the comedic moments, and the social commentary lacks substance in its convictions, to the point where the "message" feels tacked on.

11. knockkneed's rating of the film Dope

this film is a mess. obviously crafted from a film school cookbook. tropes strewn about, unjustified with little unification. the soundtrack is too illustrious to represent a "hip-hop geek," though props for the unusual use of Freak on a Leash. it especially fails in its discussion of race and queer issues. the commercial success would have been impossible without the beautiful work of the fashion department.

12. mixn's rating of the film Dope

This could have been AMAZING.

13. Carlos Filipe Freitas's rating of the film Dope

“Dope” is a teen pleaser, and Mr. Famuyiwa gives a positive step in a directorial career that had been trivial until this release.

14. kzrmgm's rating of the film Dope

I suppose this was comparatively better than most "high school" movies, but the script is terrible and unbearably cheesy. All the actors are beautiful, but I couldn't stand their characters (loved Asap Rocky's and Blake Anderson tho)

15. Filipe F. Coutinho's rating of the film Dope

There's a lot of wit to the characters and some smart screenwriting but overall Dope is quite uneven, denoting pacing issues and a muddy message. Still, what a star making performance by Shameik Moore…!

16. Film Aficionerdo's rating of the film Dope

Dope is a mix between Boyz N the Hood and House Party by way of Soderbergh's Out of Sight. It's a fun urban adventure with a strong message about stereotypes. Director Rick Famuyiwa may have directed Carlos Mencia at one point but his stylistic approach here made up for any past mistakes. Dope is all over the place in story but it's cohesively put together. The cast is hilarious, but also incredible new talent.

17. Joe Hackman's rating of the film Dope

Charming , intelligent, and very entertaining. Performances are good all around, especially Shameik Moore as Malcolm. Even A$AP Rocky is great. Favorite quote: "I'm George W. Bush, motherfucker, I don't care about no vote!"

18. Joey Wright's rating of the film Dope

Most comparisons I've heard have been to Boyz in the Hood, which is not inaccurate. However, I found it to be a much smarter film, although not as brash. Still has a very bold message. Great performances throughout. Hard to not like a film that ends with my favorite hip hop song of all-time. Working my way through a bunch of 2015's earlier offerings, but this one stands out as the best of the year (so far).

19. Mcpeer's rating of the film Dope

The Sundance smash did not disappoint and certainly was able to meet the hype. It's a classic coming of age story told in a brand new coat of paint. The style, tone, and feel is fresh and invigorating. The film does so much right that it makes it hard to ignore the familiar structure and faux sentimentality.

1 2 3 5 Next →