1. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film Double Suicide

An incredible blend of cinema and theater. While the acting can be a bit melodramatic at times, Double Suicide is worth the watch for the brilliant direction and creative use of space and composition. Shinoda is a master.

2. Barrett.'s rating of the film Double Suicide

Quite frustrating how visually impressive and well executed this is that I didn't fully connect with it, 40% of it seems to be characters either crying or screeching, which irritated me as I didn't really care for them. I'm willing to give it another chance since I love Pale Flower. I know how great Shinoda can be.

3. Aardsy's rating of the film Double Suicide

4. peaches and plums's rating of the film Double Suicide

5. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Double Suicide

Some cool stuff, I like the stage play setup, but in the end I found it mostly irritating, due to the over the top acting.

6. $ROBINROSA$'s rating of the film Double Suicide

layers and layers of vertical lines

7. A47's rating of the film Double Suicide

Film on a lazy susan. Drama dead-on. A cubist approach to story. A staged play tied up in love.

8. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Double Suicide

Even as the sometimes maddening plot threatens to derail, the viewer is pulled back in by the lustrous shadows, brutal performances and nightmarish soundtrack by Toru Takemitsu. An uneven film, but confounding in the way that a dark dream is, and just as memorable.

9. James Mackin's rating of the film Double Suicide

It's kinda like Romeo and Juliet, but far more interesting, and definitely not supposed to be happy in any way.

10. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Double Suicide

I saw images from this in a textbook as an undergraduate-- the very definition of "wonders to discover." Turns out the images serve a stately dance of death.

11. paxy's rating of the film Double Suicide

12. chickenwing's rating of the film Double Suicide

13. Victoria L.'s rating of the film Double Suicide

I got the strongest impression of false sentimentalism.

14. M Klein's rating of the film Double Suicide

Now I understand why people get cross when films are projected in the wrong aspect ratio. Saw this with the ends cropped off, and boy does it make a difference.

15. pandakuma's rating of the film Double Suicide

beautiful. every single shot is like a melody.

16. sodr2's rating of the film Double Suicide

17. Chaya's rating of the film Double Suicide

Suicide isn't always needlessly selfish. The bunraku theater doesn't appeal to everyone but it's executed here with detachment—you're left to watch tragedy unfold.

18. LaurLaur's rating of the film Double Suicide

I HAD to watch this movie. If that was not the case, I would have turned it off within the first 20 minutes. Not good. Very disappointed since Pale Flower is one of my favorites...

19. Daniela's rating of the film Double Suicide

It's great, especially if you know about bunraku :D

20. Arash Naim's rating of the film Double Suicide

21. Dionisius Amendola's rating of the film Double Suicide

Owes too much to theatre to be called cinema. A tale of obsession and passions that drive/make us weak and fragile.You must be in the mood to realy appreciate.

22. Adam Suraf's rating of the film Double Suicide

Chikamatsu's 18th century Kabuki classic, re-told by Shinoda with abstract realism and a haunting poetic irony, blending stage theatrics and modernist set design with real world situations. Shinoda's most famous film, and a late landmark of the Japanese New Wave.

23. julianross12's rating of the film Double Suicide

http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/bfi_southbank/film_programme/august_seasons/shinjuku_diaries_films_from_the_art_theatre_guild_of_ja The film will be screened at BFI Southbank as part of Shinjuku Diaries: Films from the Art Theatre Guild season (1st - 31st Aug) Screening on 29th introduced by Oliver Dew (Birkbeck College, University of London)