1. daniroelleb's rating of the film Downtown 81

After seeing so many weird interpretations of Basquiat it was actually very refreshing and very surreal to see him on screen like this. I live in New York City now and I feel like I got some beautiful insight into the New York so many artist fell in love with in the past. I would just watch it for the feeling.. The movie is quite bad in my opinion and it fetishises white women but hey, that's none of my business...

2. Stanislav Lukianov's rating of the film Downtown 81

3. EdieEmm's rating of the film Downtown 81

This film is all the flow that graced the hustle of the Lower East Side scene in '81. Performance footage of DNA (especially) and The Plastics and James Chance and Kid Creole makes it valuable, but I won't say no to Jean-Michel Basquiat and his charming cast of cameos (including Debbie Harry as a fairy) bringing their cool to my screen. Nicely made, smooth little watch. 3.5

4. cinegeek.de's rating of the film Downtown 81

Klar, heute kennen wir Jean Michel Basquiat als einen der einflussreichsten Künstler seiner Zeit. Als er aber noch ein junger Mann war auf der Suche nach seinem Stil, spielte er in diesem Mix aus Doku und Experimentalfilm eben einen solchen jungen Mann auf der Suche... mehr auf cinegeek.de

5. Leah Xue's rating of the film Downtown 81

Jean-michel basquiat makes this film, but that's no criticism.

6. Chichago_'s rating of the film Downtown 81

"Hey Jean, wanna go out?" "No thanks, I’m already out."

7. Adam Rapley's rating of the film Downtown 81

A perfect portmanteau of self-reflexive vignettes standing as a looking-glass for inner ideals in a dichotomous 1980s New York. Backed by an incredible soundtrack.

8. chazell's rating of the film Downtown 81

Debbie Harry as a fairy... Basquiat walking this earth.. what more do you want?

9. Robert W Peabody III's rating of the film Downtown 81

Film was released in 2000, not 1981. Some of the soundtrack was lost, that is not Jean-Michel Basquiat’s voice in the film, but is a voiceover.

10. Patrick Humphreys's rating of the film Downtown 81

11. Lee Bullitt's rating of the film Downtown 81

I just like seeing Basquiat walk the earth. point blank.

12. ironbound's rating of the film Downtown 81

i really didn't like the voiceover of Jean-Michell.

13. Polyglot's rating of the film Downtown 81

14. Brown Battery's rating of the film Downtown 81

The live-in-the-studio footage of DNA at their peak is enough reason alone to see this film. I had forgotten Tim Wright's goofy/cool signature moves. As a document of a small-ish subset of the E. Village/Soho scene of the period it is invaluable and was for me an amusing reminder of some of the characters we mingled with...

15. PROKOSCH's rating of the film Downtown 81

I can really take or leave the movie, but this has one of the all-time best soundtracks. Ever.

16. ashi's rating of the film Downtown 81

Music: Vincent Gallo? He did not choose or write most of the music. Also, he wasn't in it past crowd shots/a part as an extra. He was like 16. >:(