1. JHB's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

«I don't know why we gotta have so much hot water when babies are born anyhow.»

2. mubianer's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

A glimpse into another era. The oldest colour film I have seen (and what colours!). Not a very strong story though.

3. Benjamin Bland's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

Beautiful to look at. Rather a shame about almost everything else.

4. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

5. Bilouaustria's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

Birth of a nation : Fonda and Colbert are the Adam and Eve of this new world in Technicolor. Ford pictures a dreamlike America, before the men, before the wars. A world full of recollections for the irish : the fields, the feasts and the dances, the church. As always, the accuracy to details and the attention to secondary characters make the finest work you will find. Minor Ford ? Instant classic !

6. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

The surface gives a clear impression, like a cold glass of water, while every profund movement is as murky as the sewer...

7. Hugo Poderoso's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

I'm always moved by the shot of the calf with the baby's cry.

8. Daniel Metcalf's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

Probably the weakest Ford I have seen so far. His first and possibly most beautiful colour film, but the characters and plot are unfortunately dull and seems too studio/costume-drama like for me, not personal or experimental enough in the way it handles Fords usual themes. At its worse it feels like an extended war scene, with the Indians and English enemies given no motivation or consideration.

9. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

All of Ford's vices, and scant few of his virtues. You get a good action finale plus his way with landscapes, but you have to take his most boring characters and sloppy construction. Fonda is a stiff, and Claudette Colbert, a lively comedienne, is forced to alternate between dutiful sorrow and hysterical fainting. What's most fascinating about Ford's take on US history are all of the wishful, willful blind spots.

10. Nelson Núñez's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

Las dos estrellas van para la fotografía en technicolor; me mató el plano de Gilbert huyendo de los indios a contraluz, al comienzo de la larga persecución en el último tercio de la película.

11. Matthew_Lucas's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

John Ford takes the western into the Revolutionary War era in this magnificent drama about a young farmer and his new wife whose efforts to build a new home are thwarted by indian attacks led by British soldiers trying to open up a new front of the war. Gorgeous Technicolor palate (a first for Ford), with striking use of light and shadow, the film memorably examines frontier life in breathtaking detail.

12. codyhunter's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

13. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

The acting is so spontaneous. I remember this movie for that reason. Well, that and the colors. Just delightful.

14. João Eça's rating of the film Drums Along the Mohawk

Not as good as I remembered.