1. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Dune

The novel came with its own glossary, and dramatizing such mythos isn't Lynch's skillset: his Dune is a mix of clunky exposition dialogue, pure abstract visuals, and almost nothing in between. But there are enough fascinating approaches to wonder what career we could have had if they cracked the script. Take it with just music and sound FX, and there are times you might even think you're seeing something visionary.

2. Mario Tomchev's rating of the film Dune

3. Christopher McQuain's rating of the film Dune

4. NCMBianchi's rating of the film Dune

5. Achromia's rating of the film Dune

Well this was something. It was definitely not good, but there are also some interesting elements to it. I guess if I had watched this before Star Wars I might have enjoyed it a little more...

6. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Dune

It's like Downton Abbey and The Fifth Element had an Eraserhead sperm baby. I read the books and I still had no idea what was going on here. So, I loved it. The way it conjures a hypnotic state - jumbling visuals, sound and temporal space as if on different planes - actually fits with the altered states angle in the text. So it's cryptic, yes, but so is Myth. Aching for rediscovery among Lynch apologists.

7. Ethan's rating of the film Dune

This is a brilliant science fiction epic that would be even better with Lynch's director's cut.

8. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Dune

9. Alcock Hitchfred's rating of the film Dune

I wouldn't want to talk about it either.

10. nakhande's rating of the film Dune

i can't describe how upsetting i find lynch's treatment of lady jessica. she's supposed to be hella powerful, a warrior witch, but he shows her in hysterics, a secondary character with only a few moments of strength and completely without the bene gesserit self-control and wisdom. the very few other female characters are pathetic as well. it just makes me so sad since this is one of my favourite books of all time...

11. DenoResandono's rating of the film Dune

Muaaaa-dib! Muaaaa-dib! Muaaaa-dib! Muaaaa-dib!

12. Trunfos's rating of the film Dune

13. James Mackin's rating of the film Dune

I saw it as the sci-fi version of Twin Peaks. I dug it.

14. Thomas Dods's rating of the film Dune

Dune is the best space opera ever written so any film is going to risk coming up short. The visuals and the atmosphere they create are strong, but the script is very weak in places, as is the acting from the likes of Sting. A missed opportunity....

15. revelintheview's rating of the film Dune

More like two and a half... but not totally invaluable! Sometimes hilarious, but you can tell an incredibly creative person made this (I mean duh Lynch he's chill).

16. IKB 191's rating of the film Dune

I know, I know, I know. But i really liked it anyway.

17. Mark O. Stack's rating of the film Dune

Best used to replicate the feeling of having the flu and speaking with Jesus in your living room.

18. Anastasija Mass's rating of the film Dune

19. Crina Cătălina's rating of the film Dune

Disappointing, really, although I'm a huge fan of Herbert's universe. Even more so, it's extremely difficult to condone the massive disregard, with few exceptions, for the characters' physical traits and conduct as they are so meticulously described in the books. For me, they will forever look like in the 1992 PC game and I must admit I would love a remake of this movie with Stéphane Picq's Spice Opera as soundtrack.

20. sark's rating of the film Dune

Much maligned film that launched my fascination with Frank Herbert's sci-fi epic. The made for tv series was also good, but Lynch's film will forever shape the image of this universe in my imagination. Amazing amount of attention to detail: costumes, set designs, props---even the shield dagger fights look awesome. And as we all know, Star Wars is a ripoff of Herbert's Dune. Paul Muadib lives!!!

21. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Dune

I think of this as a coffee-table book for the mind: images after images, freed from their narrative shackles. I loved the book as a kid, but haven't revisited it since the movie came out.

22. Mohammad Aboomar's rating of the film Dune

I have to say I really enjoyed watching this...

23. ikkini's rating of the film Dune

Quand Lynch signe un nanar, c'est bien quand même !

24. Jimmi HRS's rating of the film Dune

This movie will probably make sense if you've read the book, but if you've read the book you probably won't want to watch this convoluted screenplay.

← Previous 1 3 4 5