1. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Land of Madness

Luc Moullet shares stories of rampant mental disorders plaguing a region in Southern France. But the way that he presents the stories, in miniature stories narrated by various people set to simple shots around the countryside keep the film, alive and fresh. The delivery in the voices of the narrators add so much to the success, making it a strange but very welcome watch learning about these various tales.

2. David R Williams's rating of the film Land of Madness

Certainty has its moments but overall I feel a lost opportunity that set my mind wandering rather than pondering.

3. Greg Shields's rating of the film Land of Madness

This movie was just so cute, and loaded with nuance about French Culture. I learned so much, but Father I still know so little. But now I understand why gun laws in France are so strict!

4. cesheri's rating of the film Land of Madness

tellement de drôlerie ...

5. Michael Goetz's rating of the film Land of Madness

I can't help thinking this was something of a lost opportunity. The idea of madness springing cthonically from a blasted region of the natural realm is a good and spooky one, and there is always something to be said for deadpan, of course. I just wish the autobiographic impulse had come through a little stronger. It must be very strange to think you are the descendant of an accursed and doomed lineage.

6. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Land of Madness

Series of interviews that tell stories of murder, mayhem and madness that lie in and around several towns in the Southern Alps. Luc Moullet is the quaint old man (onscreen) narrator who walks us through the narratives of these stories. The stories are entertaining and curious enough to engage. Although Moullet might think that the Madness of the area is all connected, my thesis is: people just be crazy.

7. caitlin.f's rating of the film Land of Madness

8. panagiotatos's rating of the film Land of Madness

9. msmichel's rating of the film Land of Madness

The director and his main subject try to make a case that the geography and weather of the southern Alps have helped create an imbalance of madness and murder. Despite the many macabre stories told no true evidence involving science or common sense is presented, which is even acknowledged by the filmmaker before the end. Not worth the effort.

10. captainfez's rating of the film Land of Madness

You don't have to be mad to live here, but... wait - yes you do.

11. Renton47's rating of the film Land of Madness

Documentary of the subjective sense, Moullet traces his own family origin through the land of madness in a search for meaning. He may end up blurring any hope of that, but at least by the end we see that might be willful construction on his part. Shaggy, grass-roots (deeply personal) affair, entertaining if a bit one-note.

12. @frassivan's rating of the film Land of Madness

13. Jenny Coldpussy's rating of the film Land of Madness

I loved how you never feel the pretensions of objectivity or revealing "the" truth, that plague most modern documentaries. This guy tells us "his" truth, "his" motives and feelings about the things he chose to reveal, and he's so humble and transparent, you can't help liking him, even in the scenes where he makes that "I kinda feel like killing people on windy days" face.

14. Comadozer's rating of the film Land of Madness

"There are quite a few immolations around here."

15. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Land of Madness

Very interesting. I normally associate violent psychosis with urban dwellers in big cities not the Southern Alps.

16. Jason's rating of the film Land of Madness

So epic in its deadpan rakishness that the vast majority of viewers may well interpret it to be dead serious. Their loss. Moullet has always been a master of form. Not many filmmakers effectively use film form itself as a rich source of sophisticated humour. Moullet is the master of this. Basically this is a digressive 'pataphysical investigation (grounded in a personal reckoning) of madness in the French Alps.

17. Vinfilm's rating of the film Land of Madness

Interesting subject but it feels very random and therefore quite boring.

18. Aube James's rating of the film Land of Madness

Föhn Winds seem to cause ennui, or drive people criminally insane at the Southern (French) Alps. Moullet's video essay combines anecdotes and case studies in a clear and eerie manner. As if he's claiming sanity is normally lost on the areas he charted.

19. Ptakosz's rating of the film Land of Madness

Very interesting subject, but perhaps more suitable for an article than a feature.