1. Quincy Houdayer's rating of the film Earth

I love pre-Stalin Russian cinema. The utopian dreams of a nation are captured in this film. The famine that followed later is the most painful irony.

2. Lex Lucas's rating of the film Earth

Visually stunning. The apples in the rain. The whiteness of the image... Everything is smooth. It all makes me forgive its propaganda.

3. Viola42012's rating of the film Earth

Grande pietra miliare, parte delle fondamentali opere dei grandi teorici russi (Ėjzenštejn, Pudovkin, Vertov). Temi comi il ciclo della vita, l'importanza della terra, la coltivazione di essa, i conflitti generazionali e sociali per il dominio dei campi, fusi in una pellicola che regala momenti di intensa commozione (la scena iniziale, l'epilogo, la morte del protagonista) in cui la propaganda fa spazio alla poesia.

4. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Earth

5. B o g d a n's rating of the film Earth

6. Diderot's rating of the film Earth

The best political Soviet films transcend the kitsch that underpins them. There's an orgiastic quality and sensuality to this film that is at times exhilarating. But the kitsch is there as well.

7. Rui Oliveira's rating of the film Earth

First time I saw this Soviet Union classic from the silent era. It's basically poetry in images, reflecting the social and political struggle of that time. Not to be taken literally, but a powerful metaphor.

8. Diogo Pires's rating of the film Earth

4,5. Apesar de claramente marcado por valores da época de Stalin, Earth é um filme de uma incrível técnica e beleza natural. Tudo segue o rumo que "Dovzhenko" pretende (aqui, muito se pode discutir) para transmitir a mensagem. O que mais surpreende é, não tanto a narrativa obrigatória, mas o estudo sobre o cinema e a sua montagem. Os 10/15 minutos finais são fantásticos.

9. Marco Bevilacqua's rating of the film Earth

A deep study of human portrait. This film enhances the figure of farmers from a poetic point of view to tell their stories, no doubt there is a communist meaning like many others soviet films.

10. Dignan's rating of the film Earth

Salient film back then. Now, it's just a typical Soviet silent picture heavy on mechanical machinery, overacting and montage -- in this case to create dissonance like Eisenstein.

11. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Earth

12. Illusion Travels By Streetcar's rating of the film Earth

"'We are SMART cinephiles!'" http://illusionpodcast.blogspot.com/2015/12/episode-82-cinema-masters-vol-xi.html

13. JoaoM's rating of the film Earth

The opening scene is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

14. Kamran's rating of the film Earth

Propaganda or subversion thereof, a charged and poetic ambiguation of changing society: rise of bolshevism & science, lament of tradition & religion. 93/100 - Amazing.

15. TheCentralRuhr's rating of the film Earth

re-watched this once in a class and I was brought to tears. I couldn't function properly for the rest of the day, my mind was still inside the film.

16. Cid Medeiros's rating of the film Earth

Undoubtfuly it carries a stunning and hunting photography work. It places the rise of communism in parallel with the cultural and political aspects of Ukraine's inhabitants. It depicts part of the resentment eastern Europeans hold in regard to Russia.

17. nein's rating of the film Earth

I think that's my favourite Soviet movie. It outclasses Eisenstein's Potemkin for me. Very poetic, original and beautiful. Also, the ambiguity of its message stirs things up. Simply outstanding.

18. AdrianM.'s rating of the film Earth

"That's all vrey well if there is no god...But what if there is?"

19. João Eça's rating of the film Earth

Too many symbols and too much abstraction for me. The first sequence is overwhelming in mystery, beauty and possible meanings. The rest is somehow a group of images that compose neither a story nor a free abstract representation of nature, earth or whatever. Lost between this two possibilities and with some ideological intentions that don't add nothing to it, "Earth" is the weak version of Eisenstein's "Old and New".

20. Lthm2's rating of the film Earth

So thematically outdated it's hard to even realize what ideology is presented. Technically the copy is also very old and it happened I didn't even see the action. But still, despite that, the movie seems to deserve attention.

21. spierpijnverhelpen's rating of the film Earth

The movie gave me a great look at the history. Great movie <a href=”http://spierpijnverhelpen.com”>health</a>

22. msmichel's rating of the film Earth

Stunning visuals indeed in this ode to collective farming and attack on landowners and religion. Photography is often breathtaking with amazing use of extreme closeups. However it may just be one of those pictures whose reputation makes one look at it with rose coloured glasses. Wasn't as taken with this as I expected to be.

23. Bubi girl's rating of the film Earth

picture of a unique subtle, transcend rythm most deeply reflects a poetic ukrainian soul, a sensitive hymn to Human, Nature, Life, Eternity full of love to native land and people

24. affasf's rating of the film Earth

Esoteric, contemporary, astonishing and true unconventional filmmaking. My favorite silent film so far.