1. DenoResandono's rating of the film East of Eden

EAST OF EDEN is the only movie which released when James Dean still alive. Director Elia Kazan succeed to create such a complex, yet compelling character study. EAST OF EDEN mainly focus about a young man who lacks of compasion from his parents. Led by super-saiyan level of acting from the late James Dean. This is my favorite movie from him. I think his acting in here is better than in REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE...

2. Harriehhh's rating of the film East of Eden

It's probably the best film Dean ever starred in but not exactly momentous by today's standards. Still, worth watching if you feel so inclined.

3. FISCHER's rating of the film East of Eden

Première réalisation en couleurs d'Elia Kazan qui est une superbe et scrupuleuse adaptation du chef-d'oeuvre de Steinbeck pour un drame "familial" devenu un classique américain ayant permis de révéler, de valoriser l'indéniable présence de James Dean... www.cinefiches.com

4. Santiago Roditti's rating of the film East of Eden

Best Elia Kazan film, let the actor feel... James at its finest, so Julie.

5. Terri Wise's rating of the film East of Eden

I wish I'd seen this sooner. I'm reading the book now. I love Julie Harris, and this is my favorite James Dean film.

6. patchwork's rating of the film East of Eden

7. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film East of Eden

3-4. A low-key family drama, elevated in particular by a searing performance from James Dean. I have some quibbles with the moral premises from which the movie makes some of its points, but it's fair ENOUGH that I can readily give it a pass on its themes about love and moral puritanism.

8. Roy's rating of the film East of Eden

5 for directing, 5 for James Dean, 1 for the script.

9. ANAcrónica's rating of the film East of Eden

10. TomMackAplin's rating of the film East of Eden

James Dean reminds me of a fish wriggling around out of water. Sometimes i feel the same.

11. cherbourgdoll's rating of the film East of Eden

12. SpacePirate's rating of the film East of Eden

James Dean's finest film he made during his life. A great adaptation, and one of the better films of the 50s

13. Samuel Righi's rating of the film East of Eden

14. Stefano Campagna's rating of the film East of Eden

15. Vincent T's rating of the film East of Eden

16. nouvelle vague 1960's rating of the film East of Eden

This modern re-telling of Cain And Abel with a twist,is perhaps Deans finest performance.He plays Cal/Cain,who desires nothing but his fathers love.However,its his brother Aron/Abel who is the apple of his fathers eye.Abra (Harris) creates a further jealousy between the two brothers,which ultimately switches Cal and Arons roles as bad son/good son around.Elia Kazan brilliantly directs this Cinemascope melodrama.

17. claudiaaraujo's rating of the film East of Eden

18. Howard Fritzson's rating of the film East of Eden

Oh Julie Harris...forever to be neglected, on screen at least. Her performances in this film, "The Haunting," "Reflections In A Golden Eye," I Am a Camera" and, above all, "A Member of the Wedding" should have vouchsafed her a special place. She belongs with the lyrical and poetic Vanessa Redgrave and (the also neglected) Blythe Danner...and, maybe, Lillian Gish.

19. Julie Maje.'s rating of the film East of Eden

Irrespective of it being a good or a bad adaptation, East of Eden is a masterpiece in that Kazan's sense of composition is superb. (There can only be true artistic value to a film if there is a sense of mise-en-scène, i.e. aesthetics.) Further, it is not about James Dean being a gifted actor it is about him being an element of the aesthetics of the composition. He is blessed with the potentiality of mythical status.

20. knockkneed's rating of the film East of Eden

POST MODERN, killer cinemascope

21. Giulia Galbarini's rating of the film East of Eden

This is the only one of the "big three" James Dean films to be released before his death.

22. El Biffo's rating of the film East of Eden

A bit shmaltzy, but worth seeing; James Dean only made 3 films, might as well see them and decide for yourself.

23. henja's rating of the film East of Eden