1. Elena's rating of the film Effi Briest

"I never was a was a very good Christian, but perhaps we do come from up there, and when is all over here, we'll return to our heavenly home, to the stars up there, or beyond."

2. Philippe Lajède's rating of the film Effi Briest

3. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film Effi Briest

4. Ashley Spendlove's rating of the film Effi Briest

Fassbinder develops an aesthetic which, with distancing effects and an uncompromising commitment to short "anti-dramatic" scenes separated with fades to white, forces us to engage with an uncomfortable detachment. By no means easy to watch in one go, one can argue the film invites you to sample it in small doses as if reading a novel - to contemplate both the social dialectic and the brilliant visual composition.

5. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film Effi Briest

Beautifully composed, tonally exquisite and probably my favourite Fassbinder (I admit to being rather less than a huge fan in general) but it still seems quite a hard watch. Took me a few goes to make it through.

6. Dan and Val Freeman's rating of the film Effi Briest

Slow but give it time ... amazing cinematography ... practically every frame is perfect.

7. DanielSpeight's rating of the film Effi Briest

8. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Effi Briest

I can see Rohmer directing this one too. Beautifully made.

9. nouvelle vague 1960's rating of the film Effi Briest

Effi Briest is a carefree young woman,who marries an older upwardly mobile aristocrat.She accepts her new life,but forms a relationship with a known womaniser.Fassbinder not only shows effi's alienation,through his use of camera and mise en scene,but he also intentionally alienates the viewer through what he chooses to show and not show.We are voyeurs looking through the camera.We are the reflections in the mirrors!

10. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Effi Briest

It may seem dull and tedious to some, but Effi Briest is another film from Fassbinder that I ended up falling in love with. The framing of many shots, often dividing characters with reflections, is gorgeous, helped by the simple black and white look throughout. Solid performances help keep viewers entertained during the more meandering moments. I feel this would make an interesting double-bill with Barry Lyndon.

11. Superfrog's rating of the film Effi Briest

The image is great, scene composition is sometimes impressive. I have failed to give a flying whatever about the characters or the story though.

12. Belle Ombre's rating of the film Effi Briest

According to Mubi, 'The German enfant terrible takes Fontane’s 1985 novel to the screen'... in 1974! Avant garde indeed!

13. Christofi Cotonou's rating of the film Effi Briest

In two minds about this film really. There were times I thought it was average, and times when I thought it was exceptional (them mirror shots!) so it gets a four. It's a film likely to improve with retrospect. Solid drama about the manipulation of youthful naivety. Hanna Schygulla reached her performing apex in this film.

14. Tja's rating of the film Effi Briest

Unusual treatment of a linear narrative, where the narrator is dominant and the images form a moving tableaux illustrating the main events. Ok for a while, but 140 minutes of this monochrome artifice is too much for my taste.

15. Yvonx S's rating of the film Effi Briest

The only good thing about this long-winded drama of manners was the hats. Effie wafts about looking into the far distance, with 70s glossed lips parted invitingly,'spontaneously' offering her gloved hand, and throwing herself at her man's knees until you want to scream. She finally acts like flesh and blood but not before endless scenes of repressed propriety. The end was predictable and didn't arrive soon enough.

16. palombellarossa's rating of the film Effi Briest

So beautifully directed. Intense and philosophical. Schygulla is perfect. Every Fassbinder's film seems to teach you something about human feelings that you've forgotten, or to ask you to stop and think about them. It took me a while to watch entirely this film, but it's highly recommended.

17. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Effi Briest

Eine großartige und filmisch vielschichtige Literaturverfilmung, deren ruhiger, in viele Handlungsfragmente aufgespaltener Gang jedoch einige Geduld vom Zuschauer einfordert. Fassbinder bricht Theodor Fontanes Romanvorlage durch Stimmen aus dem Off und Texteinblendungen auf und akzentuiert mit diesen medialen Besonderheiten bestimmte, auch für die Entstehungszeit des Films typische gesellschaftliche Verhaltensmuster.

18. FISCHER's rating of the film Effi Briest

Un des films les plus "sages" de Fassbinder avec une Schygulla parfaite... www.cinefiches.com

19. Rodrigo's rating of the film Effi Briest

With all due respect: this was torture. Like watching paint dry. (Also: What's the point of adapting literature to cinema if you use literary narrative techniques instead of proper cinematic ones? This is barely a film, it's an illustrated novel. A pretty one, for sure).

20. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film Effi Briest

Near perfection. Slightly different to other Fassbinder but surely my favorite. Very refined and beautifully treated drama.

21. Mihai Cristea's rating of the film Effi Briest

According to Schygulla's autobiography (http://digitaldacapo.com/hannaschygulla/de/das-buch.html) she had a nervous breakdown while finishing shooting this movie and even considered giving up acting for good. She took some time off to finish her studies, struggling with writing a final paper on schizophrenia and the link between art and mental illness.

22. "O" Luís Miranda's rating of the film Effi Briest

23. El Biffo's rating of the film Effi Briest

Sometimes a simple story is the best. And Fassbinder does so much with it. Hanna Schygulla is beautiful, this is entirely her show. 4.4 stars

24. alice's rating of the film Effi Briest