1. Tone Ottilie Frederiksen's rating of the film El Mar

Really disturbing and depressing. One of those films in which all the gay people are traumatised, self-loathing and doomed to die tragically. Also all "gay sex" in this film is either abuse or rape. I didn't need this.

2. Pablo Emmanuel Canales's rating of the film El Mar

amazing opening sequence and the actors made an awesome performance. una delicia en clarobscuro

3. DrFirestone's rating of the film El Mar

This is a dark, brutally honest film. It deals with a difficult past, people following destructive paths of life and hopeless love. It also tells something about self-imposed (or not) religious or political indoctrination, how easily can it mislead us, when good and evil becomes one - a disorienting idea. Strong ending, and top class cinema overall.

4. captainfez's rating of the film El Mar

Great, if you're looking for more scenes of cats being kicked to death.

5. Mario C.'s rating of the film El Mar

Very dramatic and dark movie. Behind the story of a "forbidden" love, above all lies the story of young men whose lives are marked by a violent past. In this sense, perhaps the short prologue is too didactic. But the film remains interesting and powerful.

6. Juan Javier's rating of the film El Mar

7. Mario Ostrowski's rating of the film El Mar

much in poor taste, cruelty between children, cruelty to animals, enough already! all to sort out someone's sexuality. enough already!

8. Funda Can Çuvalcı's rating of the film El Mar

3.5/5. Both passionate and violent. Violence is something which can turn right back at you.

9. Samuel Donath's rating of the film El Mar

2.5 Interesting subject matter, but not the best from this director.

10. Eléonore Tain's rating of the film El Mar

Belle manière de filmer les corps

11. Michael Zyx MH Claes's rating of the film El Mar

ANOTHER GAY FLICK ... (sigh) ================= 6 films (5 gay, 1 lesbian) out of 30 films this month. Is that MUBI's specifications : ..... 20 % homosexual / 20 % oriental / 30 % French art & essai, etc etc ?

12. knb72's rating of the film El Mar

une découverte trés bon film etre sur mubi permert de voir des films rares ou de redécouvrir des films et de voir des film qui ne sont que sur mubi

13. Ludovic72's rating of the film El Mar

Avec une histoire aussi sombre, il n'était pas utile d'en rajouter ainsi sur les symboles trop voyants, les effets musicaux trop lourds et un sordide un peu complaisant... Quant à la mise en scène, elle reste trop classique et prévisible (gros plans lors des dialogues, champs-contrechamps, etc.). Heureusement, les acteurs livrent tous de belles performances et arrivent à émouvoir.

14. Jorawantstoeat's rating of the film El Mar

A portrait of violent, passionate, desperate generation of after-Civil War Spaniards. Even God turns to be helpless.

15. Max Seqgar's rating of the film El Mar

16. msmichel's rating of the film El Mar

Homoerotic tale that finds young men in a sanitorium suffering from TB while coming to terms with a violent incident from their pasts, their sexuality and their hopes for a future. Unfortunately the tale quickly runs out of steams and drags to its anti-climax.

17. Dogville59's rating of the film El Mar

I watched this years ago and gave it 4 stars which I have now increased to 5 stars because I have several film courses under my belt and so appreciated the cinematography more this time around. This is a great film made great in part by its amazing cinematography in my opinion.

18. José Neves's rating of the film El Mar

19. Pymo's rating of the film El Mar

I've lost my innocence and I found god.