1. DebraM's rating of the film El sopar

This was an excellent political documentary but I really would love to hear more from Lola Ferreira, the only woman at the table - she was fantastic!

2. Mitra Yousefi's rating of the film El sopar

I loved the last speech of Lola Ferreira that left his companions speechless: «In the revolutionary fight there is an enthusiasm for life».

3. dionysus67's rating of the film El sopar

Thoroughly absorbing documentary and, given the sensitive subject-matter, totally purged from sentimentality. The ex-political prisoners engage in an exchange of viewpoints that raise all sorts of thorny issues about resistance, social change, oppression, gender and class. Portabella punctuates this longer and 'dark' segment with a luminous prologue and a sadder epilogue about the plague of resistance in Spain.

4. Pantso-for-the-win's rating of the film El sopar

5. lesminho's rating of the film El sopar

6. Jason's rating of the film El sopar

"Sopar," Catalan for "dinner." In 2018 we can not only look in on this fascinating meal; we're treated to two afterwords, as it were, the second bringing to bear the ongoing Catalan crisis, putting the whole undertaking squarely in the same universe as Portabella's recent INFORME GENERAL II. Wow. The emancipatory projects of the twentieth century persist in staging themselves, often as not around a table. Big love.

7. Victor Gonzalez's rating of the film El sopar

Interesting document about the last anti-Franco fighters.

8. Renton47's rating of the film El sopar

I think something in the set-up advocates a degree of posturing amongst the men which you can see when they try to bypass martyrdom to touch on the personal cost of imprisonment. Perhaps a casualty of living under totalitarianism is the sacrifice of personal worth? The fact that it exists is remarkable, in the moments of quiet we sense a reflection that all the talk is trying to conceal.

9. malachiesipucheala94's rating of the film El sopar

esta película me hizo querer releer algunos cursos universitarios lol-in-spanish

10. Epinephrin's rating of the film El sopar

11. nica's rating of the film El sopar

What makes this absolutely excellent to me is the way Portabella catches (and chooses to show) the little patronizing reactions, smiles and looks between the men every time Ms. Lola Ferreira speaks. (Revolutionary men are still men after all.)

12. Sin título.'s rating of the film El sopar

13. Bonnet Michel's rating of the film El sopar

14. ritmo's rating of the film El sopar

relevante. cumpre a missão de manter aqueles momentos presentes.

15. Alex Khype's rating of the film El sopar

Interesante reflexión sobre la lucha política, aún relevante si tomamos en cuenta la cuestión tibetana o la situación política en México. Sin embargo, también cómo el aferramiento al concepto de "enemigo" lleva a algunos de los participantes a enfrascarse en sus propias ideas y no poder escuchar las reflexiones de los demás.

16. josé neves's rating of the film El sopar

Filmed clandestinely during the Franco regime, with some of its political prisoners. After an introduction of space and characters, when they talk around a table, concentrates on some cutting frames and two side travellings parallel to the table, accompanying the talk and shaping them in space, giving the physical dimension that their existence of repressed permanently refuses. An act of political aesthetics.

17. Olivia Reneé Saldívar's rating of the film El sopar