1. Lights in the Dusk's rating of the film El sur

Intimate to the point of privacy. So subtle & delicate in its handling of serious themes that the important events occur almost by happenstance; childhood trauma caught up in the greater flow of memories that run throughout. As a young woman looks back on an evocation of the past, the filmmakers tease out a whole tapestry of political history, familial relationships; with 'the South' itself as a yearning for escape.

2. Pymo's rating of the film El sur

My father, a secret hidden in my heart.

3. luminous's rating of the film El sur

4. Tatami's rating of the film El sur

A truly great film that should have been longer as it leaves certain territories unexplored, though it is fine as it is. The opening shots are beautiful, the use of light is marvellous. The only problem I have with the film is the sometimes unnecessary narration.

5. .'s rating of the film El sur

I wished he could finish the last half.

6. ammar's rating of the film El sur

7. FISCHER's rating of the film El sur

Une oeuvre étonnante de sensibilité, d'émotion, de tendresse d'un cinéaste hispanique génial qui nous avait déjà émerveillé, quelques années plus tôt... www.cinefiches.com

8. Loud Rocks's rating of the film El sur

9. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film El sur

Near miraculous film making. Mesmerising and heart rending.

10. LauraPalmer's rating of the film El sur

This is my favorite Erice and one of the most shocking films I've ever seen. Watching El sur is like if Erice were showing me my childhood: as if he knew my father, as if he knew who I am, I can't imagine how this film could be better: it's just impossible. One of the best (Spanish) films of all time.

11. Rhinnnn's rating of the film El sur

The fantastic visuals, the light and shadows, the sounds, the acting - everything works wonderfully to grab your senses and intellect, to ultimately make you think of all the things that you've lost, or maybe never had, but wished to.

12. redux's rating of the film El sur

Soft-spoken little sister of 'Cria cuervos'.

13. Jess PJ's rating of the film El sur

14. Marco Bevilacqua's rating of the film El sur

Erice has an incredible talent for using light when filming. This is a very pictorial movie, esthetically perfect. As regards structure and story-telling format, Erice seems to be influenced by Bergman, we can feel a huge distance in the characters and a beauty but cold atmosphere and all the scenes are imbued with a a strong pessimism in terms of family relationships.

15. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film El sur

In this I was hoping to find that mystery and magic that was in the other Erice film I've seen, The Spirit of the Beehive, but was mostly disappointed, as there was merely a trace of what that much better film had in spades. It still uses that perspective of childhood, but to a much less enthralling effect.

16. puddleglum's rating of the film El sur

There's always "magic hour" in Erice's movies.

17. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film El sur

El Sur is a bit of a slow burner. From the get go the director hands out what's happened. The rest of the movie is like putting together the pieces of a puzzle. The scenery is breathtaking and the overall look reminds me a little of Tarkovsky.

18. el.'s rating of the film El sur

Once in a while there comes a time when one is given the opportunity to witness a special kind of other world with such a strong aura. This one deals with existentialism through the eyes of who once was a child and grew to be an individual who made their peace with life. Not all is said and it need not be - it is only important to understand what is given.

19. Àlex Frias Haro's rating of the film El sur

Con ecos a "El Espíritu de la Colmena" (una de las mejores películas de Victor Erice), la historia, con un aire nostálgico y de tributo al cine, se queda muy corta en comparación, a pesar de tener algunos momentos encantadores.

20. Erik F.'s rating of the film El sur

The subdued melancholy of this really makes you ache and yearn. Erice should have made more films, methinks!

21. Ayinde Anderson's rating of the film El sur

Great direction and cinematography. Loved how every scene lived deep shadow. Great view on how our perspective of the people around us change and develop as time passes on.

22. El Biffo's rating of the film El sur

Pacific Film Archive 31 July 2015 Victor Erice appeared in person for this screening. He spoke extensively about the second half of the film, which was never made, in which Estrella goes to Andalucia, and meets Irene Rios. This film is so beautiful to look at, the use of light so eloquent in every frame, that I could hardly bear to look at the subtitles. Sweet, sublime, mystical and melancholy.

23. paxy's rating of the film El sur

24. ASHES IN THE HOURGLASS's rating of the film El sur

Following Spirit of the beehive seems suicidal, but the beauty of Erice prevailed in the long run. Who the F cares that it's an incomplete film. Frankly, there is more fear, joy, discovery, sorrow in here than almost any so called finished films. The characters have been brought to life with such warmth that I wish all the more to be able to be there and to share the ups and downs of this family's life. MUST SEE