1. JoAnne Voightlander's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

Director Lamas conceived a genuine experiment for this film, and succeeded. The two halves- one monotonous & dark, the other filled with variety, color, & music- represent the lives of the people of this mining region, an existence by no means entirely torturous but also never truly free. The mountain looms over bodies & minds. Even after hours of faith & friendship, sun & fire, an open shaft waits at the end.

2. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

The film is quiet and subdued, showcasing a deep understanding of the distant and disaffected camera. Finding that emotional distance and allowing solely the actors' performances carry the emotional heft to the film raises it above many others. It strikes the balance and grows tension as the world develops. The touch and craft is poignant, though ultimately without payoff. I was left wanting something more.

3. Alejandro Zapata's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

This film depicts the perils miners not only in Peru but in other countries from south America face everyday. A culture where there are strong religious belief, alcohol, prostitution, crime, and lack of support from the government. In a few shots Salomé showed us amazing views of Los Andes, traditions, and the misery. Good documentary.

4. raggiodisole's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

5. richard east's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

An extraordinary view of a world most of us will never see. Here we can learn, amongst many life lessons, that the concept of a beautiful landscape is a privilege of the the affluent and developed world. You can learn more from this movie than can ever be learned from a comfortable education . Do not let it pass you by….grow your life!

6. A New Space's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

A gruelling but overall rewarding film. The hour long opening shot is a difficult watch, forcing the audience to endure the exhausting monotony of the lives of the miners. However, there is some respite in the much more fluid second half, with fantastic cinematography and a much more intimate look into the lives of the workers. Overall a decent effort which rewards a more patient viewer. MK

7. r u f o's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

8. captainfez's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

Tragedy vs boredom. WHO WILL WIN FIRST?

9. DrFirestone's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

A film that is very uneven - this applies both to the two parts of the film and the emotional side of it. It starts as a monotonous ordeal - series of conversations and monologues heard on the radio, while visually we appreciate miners going up and down for about an hour. Then, the film transforms, revealing the brutal reality of life in the settlement; again, in contrast to this, the scenery is absolutely majestic.

10. Dimitris's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

The first part would have sufficed. The multiplicity of the stories we hear over the ceaseless movement of the miners, communicate perfectly the themes of struggle,desperation,exploitation,faith and female endurance of the film. The second part attempts to contextualise all that, but the observational approach of Lamas, although correct ethically,is doomed to fail in representing Rinconada, its miners and their lives

11. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

Save yourself two hours. Watch the three-minute trailer. That's the whole movie.

12. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

(2.5 stars) The first hour is literally just a voiceover of stories. Not really a film that I could get into in. The second hour does contain some breathtaking vistas and lovely cinematography to capture those images. However, by that time I was tuned out... so although I was able to enjoy the imagery, there was nothing of interest for me thematically or in terms of people or their stories.

13. Kamil's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

Sorry, but that was almost unwatchable. Horrible composition.

14. Sarah Pietsch's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

Unforgettable. Mountains, mines, misery and monotonous lives. Survival and despair, struggle and defeat. The tenacity of people with nowhere else to turn, eking out a living in the harshest conditions. Joyous moments too though, the women chatting and chewing coca, and thank goodness for the burst of music and merriment at the end. Whew.

15. Jean A. Vachon's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

Long ennuyant, perte de temps!

16. Kinorodrigo's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

El Dorado XXI: un contrapunto entre la inmensidad paisajística de ese lugar tan arriba en la tierra y las condiciones de vida de los residentes (lugareños y/o desplazados) en ese mundo humano y semi-humano al mismo tiempo. Texto completo en Atalante (columna de cine): http://bit.ly/2uVJiHg

17. Levi Miah's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

The 50 minute intro is - disappointingly - probably the worst shot of the film, not only in lighting and composition but in the exhaustive monotony of the non-happenings. The accompanying sound, though enlightening, isn't enough to save it. The latter half is compromised of many poignant moments of natural human behaviour and panoramas that could've made an interesting hour, like the up the mountain tracking shot.

18. SiIencio's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

A film of two antagonostic halves, and because of that, Lamas fails to secure a clear direction. The overall intention is put into question once the first 50-minute sequence, the dramatic exposure to XXIc- barbaric conditions of Peruvian miners, ends to give way to an unclassified sort of collage of broken parts which add very little and carry little meaning. This lack of definition condems Lamas.

19. Lance L O T's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

So let's start with the first scene, very much like Plato's cavern, where it takes a while to adapt to it and to endure it, but then we get it and we are interested in it. The film is very good, as it takes us to one of the asses of the world and let us dwell there. Should you manipulate the audience? I wish I had been, since the last part of the film with the church and festivities is too normal for such a place.

20. José Neves's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

Digital. After an introduction to the documented space, the first 50 minutes of film, a single sequence shot with sound worked from various sources, is a "morceau de bravoure" that summarizes and should be the film itself. The second part, although presenting magnificently framed images, follows a more customary documentary with some avoidable folklore, which in a way denies its previous part.

21. exoskeleton's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

A segunda hora de filme tem demasiadas coisas desnecessárias.

22. Igor Ramos's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

A primeira hora de podcast foi desencorajadora, apenas balizada por dois testemunhos mais cativantes: um sobre um drama familiar narrado pela mãe e outro sobre rituais obscuros e pagãos em La Rinconada. Finalmente terminado o sobe e desce de mineiros, qualquer coisa era bem-vinda... por isso a segunda hora lá acabou por oferecer algo de mais palpável sobre as pessoas e o local.

23. Daniel Roque's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

Não acredito que passei uma hora a olhar para mineiros a subir e descer.

24. paksi's rating of the film Eldorado XXI

You have to climb very high to see how low a human being can go.