1. Nick Schwab's rating of the film Election

Creative in its typical inner-gangland warfare plot, and detailed if overburdened in its gangster politics, this is one of master Director Johnnie To's few overrated films, due to its indifferent emotional stakes. Once Election lingers on just a few characters instead of what seems like countless, the film has a lingering and devastating emotional power. If only the whole film had that same wallop.

2. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Election

Big D is insane. His gruesome end was fitting

3. Paolo Utili's rating of the film Election

4. Bram Vroonland's rating of the film Election

The plot was pretty generic and the symbolism was a little too thick at times. The staging, the lighting and the general quality of the cinematography however was stunning. That in itself made it a nice viewing experience. It made me hungry for more Johnnie To so if you have tips on which ones are better, let me know!

5. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Election

The film depressed me for days afterwards. Money, power, wooden fetish objects-- a maze of abstractions... and everything solid melts into air.

6. Nick Potter's rating of the film Election

My first venture into the world of Johnnie To was plenty successful. Election is much more interesting than most crime films, as the violence isn't the priority of the storytelling. Most of the time is dealt with the planning and the process, with a few key scenes devoted to the unavoidable violence, namely the beautifully choreographed machete scene.

7. ionosonde's rating of the film Election

conflict in organized crime portrayed via strategy rather than overt violence (most of the time). an interesting take on a movie that could have just been a bloodbath. entertaining, but it doesn't stand out to me.

8. T Mills's rating of the film Election

A very strong entry in the crime genre. The story moves in unconventional directions and I love the exploration of politics within the underground. This was my first experience with Johnnie To

9. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Election

Someone did their research on some of these kill scenes.

10. mpho3's rating of the film Election

"Johnnie To's gritty take on triad warfare is full of cinematic storytelling, deadpan absurdities, and disturbingly cool criminals. [Taking] a done-to-death Hong Kong genre and present[ing] it in a relevant, accomplished fashion ... Election possesses a quiet, cinematically gripping verve." - LoveHKfilm.com

11. David R Williams's rating of the film Election

An amazing film. Many characters yet even the least are fully formed. The twists and turns and newly formed alliances will make your head spin but its worth the discomfort. Sudden graphic violence that stuns in its intensity. The machete street fight is the ballet of violence in its purest form. The ending says everything that needs to be said about Triad life...and death.

12. Willyzacc's rating of the film Election

Très bon film sur le milieu des Triades, très bien filmé et un bon casting.

13. SlinkyLi's rating of the film Election

Violent and directly forceful, with nuance in the visual composition. Doesn't try to be cool, just works for it

14. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Election

A gorgeous film, but I have yet to figure out what it is trying to say (about human nature? brotherhood? allegiance and duty?). Still, riveting and very competently made. The ending is not sitting well with me, but thankfully in the good way.

15. Chris Gillespie's rating of the film Election

If you get frustrated by the slow pace, the last 20 minutes make the build up worth it. "Big" Tony Leung was great as Big D.

16. Francesco Sullo's rating of the film Election

Enjoyable. The actual title should have been "Shut up Big D".

17. thivai abhor's rating of the film Election

This film keeps you guessing all the way to the stunning ending -- easily ranks as one of my all-time gangster/crime films. If you enjoy this one you should check out the companion Triad Election (2006) which does a good job of connecting the criminal activities to a rising China's economic activities (think of the 2008 Italian film Gomorrah's portrayal of organized crime and global capitalism)

18. Shawnmubi's rating of the film Election

OMG! This movie is brilliant. At first I felt like I might need a note pad to keep up with all the characters but then as the movie progressed it all fell into place and the rollercoaster started...

19. red_c's rating of the film Election

Nicely paced triad film.

20. Anita G's rating of the film Election

This film is not one i would normally watch and I quite enjoyed it's insight into The Triads. There were some very creative improvisational murder methods which I won't forget in a hurry. Beautifully shot and some of the production design is very good. Its representation of this type of existence was very good, although I am not particularly interested in watching the sequel.

21. raggiodisole's rating of the film Election

Not entirely as advertised. There was some enjoyment, but it never really sparked into life

22. Max Seqgar's rating of the film Election

Meh, it's OK. A bit too light-hearted take on the real deal. But still a good aproximation I guess?

23. Fabio Nosotti's rating of the film Election

24. dan_mi_sun's rating of the film Election

i did enjoy watching this...