1. Vinegar Factory's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

a superb film. absoutely worth the watch to experience a unique human as well as the work of a unique film maker. this film is also a beautiful homage to the western front.

2. Dave Muñoz Velasco's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

A film from another time. A very well executed bio-documentary about a man whose vision and creativity matched his extremely interesting personal life and work. Filled with experimental images captured in film, it manages to create the perfect atmosphere (and temporality) to perfectly commune with the music created by Bartlett and his instrument/machine.

3. alnsferraz's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

#nós #cultura #cinema #documentário #biografia #experimentação #mubi #electro-pythagorus #aportraitofmartinbartlett #martinbarlett #música #eletronicmusic #eletrônica #artes #poesia #concretismo #guilhermevaz #autômato #experimental #java #índia #europa #folclorismo #músicasocial #humanidade #igualdade

4. Matt's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

Very happy to know that many more people are now discovering Martin's music and ideas thanks to Fowler's deep trawl through his archives.

5. Quattro's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

Reminded me of 15 corners of the world, which I saw here on Mubi, too. Interesting, I guess the guy was some kind of genius. And I loved his writing style. My only doubt is about the images, that often seemed pretty random to me, and made the movie feel less like cinema and more like an audiolog-with-cool-shots. Maybe I wish it was more about the music itself. Anyway a solid documentary, could have lasted more.

6. sodonic's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

The film played the contrast between the electronic sound and the analog visual well.

7. guillermo's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

Wondeful portrait of a radical musician. A deep insight into sounds, forms, cultures, and emotions. However, this is not formalist at all. The beauty of math under the form of sound takes place in the context of society, it is created by an artist. It is all in this documentary, capitalism, market, sexuality, politics.

8. EdieEmm's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

I could've watched that all night. A visual treat; some of the best video essay type work I've seen. That + Bartlett's brilliant black box compositions/interactions (via its Deleuzian "topography of uncertainties") & I easily got through his annoying chant-lectures & past the drippy-voiced narrator of initially-insipid letters, and into what turned out to be a pretty compelling bio. Hope he got that professorship!

9. Kamil's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

10. Jacques de Villiers's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

You know you're far gone in cinephilia when you feel like this should be the default approach to biographical documentaries. Time, memory, and words all seem to skip along musical stones, and the whole thing is so thoughtfully wrapped up in its chosen aesthetic. Makes me want to see more of Luke Fowler's stuff. Makes me want to make music again.

11. Michael MacDonald's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

Movies about music usually spend too much time either talking about the composer or the notes. Fowler avoids both problems by finding the space where musicking happens, in the mysterious space where creativity, opportunity, experience, existence, eroticism, and dream manifest in sound.

12. David R Williams's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

There's an interesting story here that unfortunately gets lost in the technique. We see masses of letters, correspondences, and notebooks, we see personal photos, interviews, lectures and performances, and we hear the music...but I do not come away believing I know any more about the man or his music then when I went in.

13. msmichel's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

An unconventional portrait of musician Martin Bartlett told through collage, music and letters. A must see for fans of electronic music but also for cineastes who have a fine taste for the innovative.

14. Jessica's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

Right from the beginning I was already curious about what was going on in the film. I find films with avant-garde elements so interesting because they are so creative and different compared to your usual film. I didn't like some of the background sounds like the one note getting louder but I did like when it was a combination of different sounds at once. I also enjoyed the shots of the printed out photographs.

15. DrFirestone's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

Intriguing documentary - instead of typical narration plus footage or interviews, what we get here reminds me of a collage of memories, fragments of the lost moments of someone's life (Martin Bartlett's life that is). Perhaps, this this is the natural way to remember an artist, a free spirit. Unique experience, definitely not in-your-face, requiring an open mind and a bit nostalgic in its core.

16. Fab S's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

Intéressant pour l'OST. Portrait très personnel, qui ne se soucie pas de la chronologie. Plus un patchwork d'évènements qu'une biographie officielle.

17. Sergey Belov's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

Luke Fowler is a director who hard to watch for the first time if you are not prepared. Go read wiki or google some articles before watching. It would help a lot. Otherwise just don't waste time on this and skip.

18. Yash Bhati's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

"The intimacy of handcraftedness softens the technological anonymity creating individual difference making each instrument a topography of uncertainties with which we become acquainted through practice"....

19. bb2016's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

20. ejonline's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

It seems like Bartlett tried (in part) to create audio performance systems in which computers could make choices and respond to external stimula, and thus be programmed but non-linear. Not sure if Fowler was attempting something along those lines with the non-narrative structure and manipulated images. Watching it felt like wandering but not discovering anything in particular - still a fine way to spend some time.

21. 7777777's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

I'm glad that films like this are made. The vibe is impressionistic, mosaic-like, free... just like an artist. This is the kind of stuff I used to watch late at night on Channel 4 in 80s/90s England.

22. Jj's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

23. Mcgruck's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

Though the music was not appealing to me, the subject and the artistic direction of the portrait was interesting and increase my appreciation of artists and art.

24. Victor W's rating of the film Electro-Pythagorus: A Portrait of Martin Bartlett

Personally, Avant-Garde films are not my favorite genre of films. Main reason being that theyre not informative or structured kind of almost like watching a music video. However, this film was well thought out. I felt the passion and thought put into this film, the organization was good; felt as if i was listening to a story. One thing that stuck out to me is the diagetic narration, an important element of Avant film