1. Nabil Hamzaki's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

""She's always in my dreams. The woman from the past. From the time of Andres Bonifacio and Jose Rizal. She looks like that. From the past. She is always sad. And crying. She's always in my dreams."

2. EdieEmm's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

If 80 minutes seems brief for Diaz, consider that it was supposed to be a 1-minute short... Meticulously constructed as a classic tripartite elegy, disrupted. Time out of order. Not flowing past, and gone, but - in a play on "revolution" - recurrent. (Crouching in the) current. In the city. In dreams (which the visitor implores us to hold on to). Space and being as time made visible. To make sense of the senseless.

3. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

Interesting that with the huge expansion of sound quality and depth, the visual range of focus and duration got compressed. With the more atmospheric sound, though, it still felt more about space than time, even with a visitor from the past.

4. David R Williams's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

Diaz long take condensed. Haunting.

5. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

I find this trend among artsier movies that they have to have long static shots and be incredibly slow, as if they have to contrast against the artificiality of Michael Bay instead of the editing Lars von Trier at his worst. I don't understand this. Not that it can't be good but that it's somehow percieved to be better and capturing life better if long static shots or something. I did however like this film, though.

6. Samuel Wells's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

Beautiful and distant. Imminent and moving. Elegy covers a wide range of themes and tones in the compact 80 minute run time. It maintains a simple narrative to keep a through line of interest, but does not settle with being overly simplistic, playing with how the narrative unfolds and keeps the story thriving. The scenery of the city feels very real, in the movie sense, a heightened and stunning reality on display.

7. Marina C.'s rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

Visual poetry that drowns you in a timeless transe of long, beautiful shots where the mundane and sublime collapse, as they do outside of the screen, where our eyes don't always linger.

8. msmichel's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

Slighter in both length and content, Diaz's 'Elegy' boasts his usual high production values and long takes but seems under realized and under thought.

9. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

The first Diaz film i watch because he must have guessed i have other things to do than siting on my ass all day.

10. captainfez's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

A Bunch Of Waiting Plus Some Terrible Guitar: The Movie.

11. zoerose's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

A significantly shorter and dully familiar (theme-wise) film where an enigmatic woman - whose attires indicate her belonging to the era of Andres Bonificio, a 19th century Filipino revolutionary for independence - wanders around modern day Phillippines with an undescribable sorrow drawn on her face. Maybe she also feels disappointed on Diaz's film. Clearly past/present is again the center of Diaz's interests.

12. Stevie M's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

For me, the thing about Diaz's films is that they don't dictate to the viewer. They present scenes, places and characters and give you the space (and time) to explore your own thoughts. Despite being only 80 minutes long, this short film presents the same opportunities - just less of them. The out of tune guitar scenes were painfully poignant. Lost in his own world, blissfully unaware of how awful it sounded.

13. fearraigh's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

An interesting conceit though, given its relative brevity, the film really feels like a sketch for a longer work. Not least because many of the scenes are as protracted as one has come to expect from Diaz. A minor work of his but a satisfying detour into a shorter form.

14. Nachtreich's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

☆ e mezzo. Belle alcune scene di inondazione e alcune sezioni della puttana.

15. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

I am not exactly sure of what I just watched, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Simple images filmed in black and white piece together to create an interesting and poetic whole.

16. ginobartolomi's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

I was wondering how this film could be such a jump at 3 stars from the rest of Lav Diaz's films which seem to average above 4 stars. Makes sense now. It felt rushed, like there was some need to complete something. I was completely enthralled by the documentary aspects of the film, the plot, however, I found completely unnecessary. This was my first Diaz experience, though, and I'm definitely eager for more!.

17. Zac Weber's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

A short film for Lav Diaz, but one that still feels familiar for audiences who know his work. The moving water and static camerawork recall the cinema of attractions tradition, something you'll also find in the director's longer endeavors. I always feel this incredible mix of mystery and intimacy when Diaz transports me to his beloved Philippines.

18. nvmore's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

i really wanted to like this // 2,5

19. José Neves's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

20. James Cesari's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

21. Levi Miah's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

Elegy deals with similar themes any Lav Diaz viewer has grown accustomed to - melancholy, poverty, loneliness, the underclass forced to resort to crime - but with a heavier dose of surrealism. Eschewing high-budget visuals and polished sound design, we're left instead with cinematic dioramas and offbeat dream sequences. Interesting and relatively short enough to digest multiple times.

22. FISCHER's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

Autant certains (fort) longs métrages du cinéaste nous avaient fasciné, voire envoûté par l'unicité sous-jacente des plans et des séquences qui se présentaient en liminaire apparence comme disparates, autant cette "courte" mouture en forme de triptyque bancal, donne la curieuse impression d'inachevé, d'être une sorte de structure filmique hybride aux potentialités biaisées et clairsemées. www.cinefiches.com

23. McOpinionated's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

this was so clearly not my personal taste that it feels bad to star rate it. perhaps only people who at least knew what they were getting or have some opinion or knowledge base to draw on can critique it. i have in my time sat and done nothing, for long periods, experiencing that strange state of existing non-existence. Maybe that's why I am not interested in meditation, or in this film. I don't need help to dwam.

24. AVA's rating of the film Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution

Hier genügte die Kurzform,um zu zeigen,worum es geht.