1. ‏ㅤ's rating of the film Elegy

"I saw you today on television playing the wise old man who knows everything. The one who always knows better. The one who knows what's good culture, and what people should read, and all about music, all about art...You know so many things. But I'm here, trying to celebrate this important moment of my life. And I decide to have a party and I want to have you here. Because you mean everything to me."

2. CafeGradiva's rating of the film Elegy

3. xPanchi's rating of the film Elegy

Otra peli para llorar...pq el amorsh es asi,,,dificil?!.....si los dos se quieren que mas da el resto....si se puede ser feliz de una vez. .....el profesor engrupido con su alumna nunca piensa que se puede enamorar de ella y lo hace, ahi queda su cagada interna porque se sabe muy independiente y bkn y solitario y mujeriego.......las cosas cambian y hay que asumirlo cuando es para bien (o no?)

4. Gloria Shealtiel's rating of the film Elegy

5. Lorna Singh's rating of the film Elegy

Did not read the novel,but got the impression this did not translate well to the screen.Ben Kingsley,in nearly every scene,is convincing,but there is no chemistry with Penelope Cruz. But,it did tackle the subject of teacher-student relationships seriously. Would have liked to see more of the wonderful Patricia Clarkson.

6. Adam GR's rating of the film Elegy

What's not to love about Penélope Cruz and Ben Kinglsey? The cinematography is gorgeous. A hearbreaker that fluidly unfolds. This movie cut a good chunk out of my heart. I took Isabel Coixet very seriously afterward.

7. Starshine's rating of the film Elegy

8. Olli Herranen's rating of the film Elegy

Somewhat boring but still quite thought provoking drama about the foundations of human relationships. Love, sex and friendship - lust, trust and responsibility. These topics are presented from subjective perspective without ready or easy answers. On the other hand, I do criticize the overwhelming upper-middle-class point of view which enables full break away from questions concerning ones position in society.

9. Johnny K's rating of the film Elegy

Another unsuccessful Philip Roth adaptation. Nevertheless, it is a solid effort with great performances from Ben Kingsley and Penélope Cruz.

10. Caden Cotard's rating of the film Elegy

A vicious and biting drama, the best kind. Chock-full of brilliant performances from everyone involved, Elegy is nothing short of extraordinary. Ben Kingsley, especially, as a misogynistic professor profoundly changed by his student (Cruz) is top-notch. And Meyer, who directed Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, makes a 180° turn from sci-fi to write one of the best screenplays of 2008.

11. Joaopa's rating of the film Elegy

"As if life were a constant unveiling of ourselves and our dreams. A process of destruction of the foundations we build to keep up the fortresses that protect us. Before becoming a film about a story (sad) love is a movie about human frailty. Recommend." www.cinemadebuteco.com

12. Sheeps's rating of the film Elegy

The film's speed was quite good. It was pensive, yet ongoing. Camera-work was also very good. My problem was the character build-up. While Ben Kingsley was spot on, Penelope Cruz changes from shy, to subtly flirty, to passive; probably an effect of bad actor-direction. It causes a bit of awkwardness that makes the whole thing lacking in chemistry.

13. Reginald Healer Marcellin's rating of the film Elegy

disappointing towards the ending, but I enjoyed the camera work and editing that despite the slow pace, the new wave'ish mood/ techniques kept me around

14. fortytwoshadesofblue's rating of the film Elegy

Watching Ben Kingsley do this role was a pleasure. Penelope Cruz and Dennis Hopper did a great job too, but the film is slow and I felt that nothing was at stakes. A bit pretentious in my opinion, definitely a signature Isabel Coixet film. I don't really know what to make out of the film.

15. Nutter Jr's rating of the film Elegy

There is one main ingredient missing to make the whole thing convincing: pathos. And since there is hardly any chemistry between the protagonists the end result is rather unconvincing.

16. Joshua Dysart's rating of the film Elegy

Captures none of the intellectual force and raging spirit of Philip Roths novel. Weak use of two great and sexy actors.

17. Joe Bowman's rating of the film Elegy

I don't know how I feel about Debbie Harry and Dennis Hopper as an old married couple. Most of what happens near the end of the films squanders the otherwise great performances from Penélope Cruz and Ben Kingsley.