1. Kuja's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

Jeanne Moreau, her dizzying beauty, walking around Paris at the sound of Miles Davis... forget that for a moment and pay particular attention to the last five minutes. It is Barthes' Camera Lucida in a nutshell! A singular instant registered has disappeared forever, which at the same time will remain forever and return endlessly... "The photograph of the missing being will touch me like the delayed beams of a star".

2. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

Among the most essential film noirs ever made. It is a required mood piece and the crazed couple on a road trip feels like a precursor to "Natural Born Killers". The only thing that this movie really should have used more is Jeanne Moreau. Louis Malle's direction is flawless and I like that the characters do simple mistakes as most criminals are dumb - that's why they get caught.

3. riceball's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

4. Brian Trinh's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

I enjoyed watching this impressionistic film noir unfold before me. Murder, love, melancholia, war, corruption, theft, youth, tragedy, flair, mood, modernity, this film has a lot going for it. Trapped. The characters are trapped...physically, emotionally, psychologically. Trapped by their desires, by love, by envy, by nostalgia. Whatever is going on in their minds is put on screen

5. HenriqueA's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

Now here's a weird beast. I only knew it because of the Miles Davis historic score but while very stilted and a somewhat bad pacing, the film more then makes it up with its quirks and twists that leaves us in the middle of the road between a noir film about lovers torn apart by the fallout of war and a nouvelle vague dramedy about deranged teenagers. And when you combine these two aspects, weirdly enough, it works.

6. chronoxya's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

indisputable evidence that Davis' trumpet and forlorn noctural quests are a perfect match

7. angeldromero's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

Great score above all. Impressive debut film by Malle, it has great twists and a very elegant cinematography. Running time is perfect too. Everything after that black cat outside Mr. Carala's office was chance working against the main characters.

8. tacoterror's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

9. Derrière chaque paupière des oeillades's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

10. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

Louis Malle's film is among the more mature directorial debuts I have seen- it's elegantly directed and its conclusion is morally, if not emotionally, justified.

11. Luis Pires's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

Forget Godard, this is where it's at.

12. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

Check your horoscope before planning a murder. "Today is a good day for staying inside and reading a good book." This is one hell of a debut film, starring the glorious Jeanne Moreau. It's a nail biter with great music from Miles Davis.

13. Mattia Ricotta's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

14. xuxuxush's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

most magnificent walk in film history

15. Atzin Ortiz González's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

The machinery of the downfall is quite stupendous. Not to mention the impeccable cast, cinematography and exquisite music.

16. MaryKatherine's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

The soundtrack changed my life.

17. NicoIlGermanico's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

18. David Sindmark Hörnfeldt's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

What makes what works in this work is Moreau. Everything else is whatever a 25 year old bourgeois kid thinks is cool and edgy (I should know). Malle would make very good to great films later, at least.

19. Nachtreich's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

20. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

21. VincentVendetta's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

When crime becomes comedy, when spies and killers are trapped by their own stupidity, when kids fail to become men, it's the entire image-action that collapses into itself, in such spectacular fashion!

22. †. Kennedy Pope's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

A stylish little crime drama from Louis Malle. The only thing that really bugged me about it was the criminal competence of our four main characters. Being an incompetent criminal is something that I can buy into from at least three of them; but being an incompetent person is a completely different story, and there are some completely idiotic character decisions that happened seemingly to just move the plot forward.

23. gld48's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

Jeanne Moreau's hair deserved an Oscar alone. Fantastic film. Beautiful in black & white too.

24. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film Elevator to the Gallows

The 400 Blows and Breathless are often cited as first/best of the French New Wave, but we shouldn’t forget that Malles’ Noirish masterpiece came before them. A crime story at first glance, doused in originality, sensuality and French-legend Jeanne Moreau.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7