1. Naoya Kugimiya's rating of the film Elle

2. auloel's rating of the film Elle

3. Richmond Hill's rating of the film Elle

The blankest black comedy; modern dysfunctions & older urges. No Jacobean revenge here - too easy a route - instead a 'mind fuck' let alone rape fantasy that (as per the film) 'crushes' norms and expectations with sex abstracted from love into the unsafe territory of raw sensation. The power play is thrilling with control see-sawing with steely precision. Verhoeven's best to date; ditto Huppert. Black coffee indeed.

4. Daishi's rating of the film Elle

5. Sara Sousa's rating of the film Elle

2.9 I wasn't surprised to find out this was written by a man.After all, this is a male fantasy, disguised as story about female strength and revenge.Michele doesn't react as your typical rape victim; no, she's cool and sexy, giving her rapist various opportunities to assault her and maintaining a blank face afterwards. Where's the humanity? She's an interesting woman; she deserved more depth.(continues)

6. Victor Morosoff's rating of the film Elle

7. Graham Ball's rating of the film Elle

A very strong 4.5 (possibly 5 on a repeated viewing)! Huppert is amazing in her role and is so uncompromising in her portrayal of a highly damaged (yet strangely hyper functional character). The character is strong and such a force to be reckoned with that she faces the horrendous events that are thrown at her through life!! With Rebecca Hall in 'Christine', Huppert's performance is my favourite of the year so far.

8. Stein Ove Lien's rating of the film Elle

9. Mugino's rating of the film Elle

Weeks after viewing, this film still clatters around my head like an itchy scab that won't heal. The incomparable Huppert is the inscrutable, aberrant Michelle, who I can only describe as the antithetical woman. She has none of the expected traits of the postmodern woman except for sex, which makes her actions and reactions such an all-consuming paradox. It's this dissonance that both vexes and intrigues.

10. Giacomo Pozzi's rating of the film Elle

11. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Elle

She never fails to amaze me. She's so unpredictable. I thought it was going to be one of those revenge thrillers, but it's not. It's so much more twisted and strange. Those final scenes were amazing.

12. Daniel Garcia's rating of the film Elle

13. TZUHSIEN TANG's rating of the film Elle

14. felisaf's rating of the film Elle

Twisted. Unsettling. One hell of crazy plot.

15. spasmolytic's rating of the film Elle

Cool stuff that caught me off guard like with Holy Motors, but it's a really bad example of subversion containment. Should've gone full subversive instead of flipping it at the end to try and moralize in some idiotic way to try to add depth.

16. Dan's rating of the film Elle

Yeah, it IS twisted, Michèle. Isabelle Huppert is an utter badass. I was left withered and in awe of her gaze.

17. Célio g.'s rating of the film Elle

It just fall's off in the latter parts.

18. k t's rating of the film Elle

ok i see the rating's not so good, but wow??? loved it

19. Eugenia Barr's rating of the film Elle

At the edge of the chair the whole time. I love Emma Stone but I think isabelle Huppert deserved the Oscar.

20. Barrett.'s rating of the film Elle

I honestly think I would've hated this if it wasn't for Isabelle Huppert.

21. kyrlice's rating of the film Elle

22. Lance L O T's rating of the film Elle

Why 2 stars?I wasn't wowed by the performance of Hupert and the whole idea of the victim who is not or that who is trying to adapt to this idea of not being helpless does not bode well with the thing itself.Rape is so serious,it needs to be addressed as the elephant in the room and in this film it is a device and the idea of following around this woman who is not real, perhaps never was, does not convince me.Sorry.

23. redux's rating of the film Elle

Elle est une tough pussy. Not as tough as Stone('s), but tough enough not to care much about being repeatedly raped. She had a psycho killer father, you know? Critics' darling, 2017.

24. lucia lurzo's rating of the film Elle