1. FISCHER's rating of the film Elmer Gantry

Oeuvre excellente, presque entomologique, sur une certaine déviance mystico-économique courante aux States qui a fait des émules un peu partout dans le monde... www.cinefiches.com

2. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Elmer Gantry

Why but why nobody is listening to me when I say that Richard Brooks is one of the most important American filmmakers? Here's a movie that has become very relevant today if not for its religious themes at least for its description of mass manipulation. Mickey (I don't want to end up in a ditch) should absolutely see it. Masterpiece.

3. Nancarrow's rating of the film Elmer Gantry

Had a mighty hard time / But I'm on my way / Had a mighty hard time / But I'm on my way / It's a mighty hard climb / But I'm on my way / On my way / Glory, hallelujah-

4. Michael Harbour's rating of the film Elmer Gantry

A powerful tale of a con man who leaps into the tent revival game for money and a woman, the people he's used along the way, the people he takes in (and doesn't), and the woman who becomes fatally convinced of her own divinity. A few moments go over the top, but Lancaster's bombastic performance is mesmerizing and the rest of the cast lends it solid support at every turn. Elmer seems emerge ... http://bit.ly/1fiPvMp

5. Byron Brubaker's rating of the film Elmer Gantry

Religious satire, I love it! Gantry has an image to uphold for his flock, he has the skills to be a dynamic preacher, but how long can he keep fooling the flock because he's really a conartist.

6. Zissou's rating of the film Elmer Gantry

4 1/2. The roots of USA. Gigantic Lancaster.

7. Algitya's rating of the film Elmer Gantry

although the main plot and the whole plot was seemingly unrelated. This gem brought a Magnetism performance Burt Lancaster ever did. Shine.

8. Francisco R.'s rating of the film Elmer Gantry

Burt Lancaster is brilliant as Gantry and the movie is great as well but I found it too inarticulate at times, some scenes either came too abruptly or they seem completely artificial compared with the tone of the story, but those are minor complaints. The dialogue is also worth mentioning.

9. Denis K.'s rating of the film Elmer Gantry

Only few times I have been struck by an actor's performance so profoundly. Lancaster is pure energy - take Duvall in "The APostle", multiply it with 1000 and there you have Burt praying to the sinners of rural america like God's best salesman.Havent read the book yet so I can't compare, but I ordered it straiht after watching the film. But you have to be a sucker for evangelical fanatism to appreciate the film fully.

10. chanandre's rating of the film Elmer Gantry

[Cinémathèque PT #431: 35 mm] (2006)

11. Robert Regan's rating of the film Elmer Gantry

Isn't it like the Academy to honor and actor for what may be the least subtle performance of his career?