1. hemachandra's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

my basic review of a transcendental filmé: a psychedelic masterwork that explores the themes of tradition, colonialism and memory

2. Trunfos's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

3. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

Karamakate had quite a job dealing with these whites. Hard to know which was worse, the missionary or the Colonel Kurtz character. I liked the parallel structure of the stories. What was clear was the devastation that had been wrought by the various outsiders. Gorgeous cinematography.

4. Alvise Narduzzi's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

Li ho trovati quasi arricchiti, i colori dell'Amazzonia, da questo spettacolare bianco e nero, che filtra in modo fenomenale la ghermente narrazione del film, la quale tocca con sensibilità pregevole gli aspetti storici, politici e spirituali di una popolazione che ha sofferto fin troppo per mano di culture altrui. Potente quanto la morsa del progresso malaccetto intorno alle vite dei poco vestiti indigeni Cohiuano.

5. Jason Av's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

6. mpiaalva's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

7. Stefan Stefan's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

8. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

Good disuse of metaphor. Those mountains were heroic. The only bit I wasn't sure about was the scene with the deluded self-proclaimed messianic missionary, too heavily reminiscent of 'Apocalypse Now', which felt outside of the film's anti-symbolic remit; though I did appreciate its straight-faced portrayal of Christianity *as* cannibalism since it is rare that Christianity gets exoticised at the movies.

9. Tatami's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

I honestly don't remember much about this one. I think it tried to be something bigger than it was. From memory I recall the mixed story-lines didn't work all that well, although it was interesting to see the change of the shaman. The "Jesus Christ" scene was unnecessary and a low point. That being said the film does look great and there were some interesting ideas.

10. Catarina C Gomes's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

11. anacecil's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

Excelente !!!! El Amazonas en todo su esplendor y la selva Amazónica, recrean esta historia en dos diferentes épocas en busca de la magia de la Selva

12. Joana China's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

the devastation of colonialism, the extinction of soul and spirit. the gorgeous black & white cinematography offers an ethereal darkness.

13. abc's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

Incredible film with nature as its backdrop and showing outsiders's impact on the natural and indigenous world. Was beautiful, but a sad reflection of outsiders trying to control what is not theirs. Karamakate is an incredible character who is our guide for this story of different times in this beautiful world.

14. Bernard Batubara's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

15. Valentina Sanchez's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

16. João Martins's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

Full of 'real' legends and myths, the movie is set in the early 1900s. Gorgeous landscapes of tribal Amazonian Colombia, where the story of a shaman from an isolated tribe who leads white men through the jungle takes place. The black and white imagery is beautiful!

17. Konrad Szlendak's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

The main flaw of this otherwise very interesting film is lack of cinematography that could match the plot and the mood. It's also over the top in scenes which are supposed to be grim and downward dark. Hovewer as a perspectivist voice in international cinema it's very fresh.

18. Cependant's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

19. Dan's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

Absolutely great, I was very very moved. Really good double story line comes together nicely enlightened eeeee

20. Balthaz21's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

21. DenoResandono's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

There aren't many movies about colonialism. If you wanna find a movie about it, Embrace of the Serpent would be the one. It contained a beautiful cinematography (in black and white). This movie gave you a story about colonialism and its damage. Too bad, I think that the storyline less engaging. It's still worth to watch...

22. Jinsie's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

Read Eduardo Galeano. A powerful, last-gasp entreaty for humankind to heed aboriginal knowledge - ancient instincts of sustainability buried in our genetic coding. After centuries of the mortal horror of expansionism, our planet is at a turning point, and indigenous frontline communities are still spilling their blood for us. As the snakes have come home to criss-cross the Western heartlands, it's wakey-wakey time.

23. Sergio Fernandez's rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

24. (arc)'s rating of the film Embrace of the Serpent

seven stars. the artist's function right here.

← Previous 1 3 4 5