1. Lola Finch's rating of the film Empire of Passion

loved it but not sure about the voice over

2. Jordan Kaltz's rating of the film Empire of Passion

3. Superfrog's rating of the film Empire of Passion

Absolutely stunning photography again, bit even more disjointed script than the previous film. A retired soldier rapes housewife, they fall in love, kill husband. Bad things happen from there.

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Empire of Passion

>>> Une oeuvre solide, bien maîtrisée et de bonne facture... www.cinefiches.com

5. V.S. Luoma-aho's rating of the film Empire of Passion

The cinematography here is exceptional; of smoke, snow, earth and water. But wind? Never. No wind for these stale lovers, for the rotting leaves. The narrative drags a bit towards the end, as the eroticization overshadows the haunting beauty of the ghost story.

6. vxpl's rating of the film Empire of Passion

mystical and ghostly. same motives throughout the movie really impressed me.

7. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Empire of Passion

8. Graf von Zahl's rating of the film Empire of Passion

Not exactly the movie I was expecting. I think I looked like I saw a ghost when the ghost appeared on screen. Amazing pictures.

9. lauramboria@utexas.edu's rating of the film Empire of Passion

10. mciszczon's rating of the film Empire of Passion

This is great. I love Japanese cinematography, it really has something to it. And this film proves it once again. An old's woman tale of love, passion, sin, murder... Tale of life.

11. Rikard Westeman's rating of the film Empire of Passion

A tale of passionate love mixed with an affecting ghost story. Atmospheric and darkly beautiful. I much preferred this to In the Realm of the Senses.

12. Francoise Mees's rating of the film Empire of Passion

A mon avis, plus intéressant que l'empire des sens, car plus symbolique et nettement plus fouillé dans les arcanes de la conscience humaine.

13. Carlos's rating of the film Empire of Passion

14. Ulises's rating of the film Empire of Passion

I wonder why Ôshima lost his way after this

15. captainfez's rating of the film Empire of Passion

Mental note: watch your shochu consumption.

16. ADZERTY's rating of the film Empire of Passion

Comme un air deThérèse Raquin japonaise...

17. Maike Lüdenbach's rating of the film Empire of Passion

18. Aube James's rating of the film Empire of Passion

What more can I ask for in an Art Film? "Empire of Passion" is a Japanese period piece. A domestic-anxiety drama & crime thriller that is erotically-charged, supernatural, and theosophical. I watched a unique, intriguing, and beautiful film. Perhaps this started the craze about unsettled spirits of murdered people, later seen (or rumored) in other Japanese movies.

19. Darko's rating of the film Empire of Passion

Some of most beautiful frames I've ever seen photographed on film.

20. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Empire of Passion

21. Dogukan4Ever's rating of the film Empire of Passion

22. Alexis Feix's rating of the film Empire of Passion

Douleur sublime des cris qui déchirent les corps et les paysages. Les oiseaux sont là, leurs chants et leurs cadavres, manifestent la présence de la mort et du tragique. Pas même la chaire peut conjurer la souffrance; elle en montre la beauté. La maison est un exemple d'harmonie entre l'architecture et le paysage, éloge de l'habitat où les gestes du quotidiens donnent vie aux choses mais le quotidien est là anéanti.

23. jonijtr's rating of the film Empire of Passion

A great combination between an erotic melodrama and a ghost tale. Have to explore Oshima more

24. tangoletal's rating of the film Empire of Passion