1. Ilona Tru's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

If Werner says it, it must be true

2. Aivaras_Z's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

A fascinating look at a place often forgotten. Herzog as always delivers his poetic irony to spruce up the usual documentary approach. The penguin scene is genuinely sad, while some of the people's back stories are crazy. Definitely worth watching to both the globally aware and those interested in studying people.

3. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

4. SiIencio's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

A tribute to human ingenuity and curiosity to explore the confines of our threatened world and the utopia behind our purest dreams. Herzog romanticises mankind & nature waltzing with oddballs, travellers & visionaries wandering on carpets of pristine snow, diving under domes of luminous ice, an assemble of quixotes leading the way for humanity through our last frontiers while also glimpsing at our inevitable demise.

5. Sara Lucas's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

6. pezfelinoespia's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

es como vivir en otro planeta jejejeje, documental con hermosa fotografia, con una que otra historia interesante... debo decir que el pinguino me hizo pensar muchas cosas :Þ

7. nejurgi's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

Something everyone should see

8. adalpi's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

Ennesimo meraviglioso documentario del regista Werner Herzog. Splendido.

9. Jim Fear's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

10. Mr.Pacha's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

11. consuelo's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

I was a string played by this.

12. Rafael Zen's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

Herzog puts together a beautiful documentary: it's personal and global at the same time, and it speaks to a lot of audiences. I simply love the penguins segment because it is so sad, poor crazy bird. He also meets with a bunch of cool characters, but searching for the wild life, the people and the poetry, he lost me into these paths.

13. corycorycorycory's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

AN ETHEREAL TRIP TO ANOTHER PLANET WITH A MAN NOT EASILY TAKEN FOR A RIDE. From him opening with the snide penguin remark, to him including a penguin suicide march, to cutting short the interviews. This is 100% a real movie made to document something. Not a documentary.

14. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

A continuation of Herzog's grand project of reaching the sublime through a kind of absurdist rationality... I just don't reckon I'm that fussed about ice, is all. I enjoyed the Lovecraftian horror though!

15. ghinnet's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

A beautiful, vague journey through human dreams, which seemingly can manifest only in a land like Antarctica: a vast, white, cold, blank space at the bottom of the Earth.

16. Conor Black's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

17. keremebrulee's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

18. Levent Güçer's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

19. Mario Tomchev's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

a film about the universe as told by professional dreamers. never forget: only werner herzog could make you laugh and cry about a penguin.

20. EdieEmm's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

I've watched this film half a dozen times. I think of these people, in the course of my life. I think of ice cream in Antarctica, evolution as escape from horror, the obstinately dapper vulcanologist, the nihilistic penguin, the well-preserved sturgeon, the packed bag, Shackleton in the styrofoam... Every scene is iconic. "Rapturous truth that transcends the factually mundane" says Roger Ebert. Documentary poetry.

21. Leif Erikson's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

I think that there is many different ways for the reality to bring itself forward, and dreaming is definitely one of those ways.

22. Nathan Hopkins's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

One of my personal favorite Herzog films, and one of his best documentaries. Through a moving soundtrack and engaging imagery, Herzog conveys the story of the people living in Earth's most inhospitable place: the researchers of Antarctica. Conveyed with Herzog's cerebral style, it is a delight to the senses, and a story for the world's beautiful, mad dreamers.

23. Alex Mitici's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

24. Alexander Dunkelberger's rating of the film Encounters at the End of the World

An insightful and interesting documentary covering the vast expanse of the antarctic, and the strange and diverse creatures that populate its desolate landscape. Werner Herzog has a unique voice, both literally and in his direction, and this shows him to be a great narrator and a powerful filmmaker. The film itself is indeed fascinating, but not a masterpiece, or even quite great.

← Previous 1 3 4