1. NUGA's rating of the film Equinox Flower

Yasujirô Ozu's first effort in technicolor leaves the vibrant pathos of different wavelengths a lot to desire. As eventless as Ozu's films might be, this one just is that much more lacking in meaning.The composition is there, the family drama as well, but I just didn't feel the emotion

2. kiptok's rating of the film Equinox Flower

other ozu movies have such plain titles as if to make this one's so a propos in their context. the seasonal metaphor is so right a way to describe this beautiful, even film that showed me everything in dual opposing motions & perspectives by the end. i love how ozu could do that

3. dordairobert's rating of the film Equinox Flower

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Equinox Flower

Encore un précieux film d'Ozu qui fut découvert en France bien après sa sortie au Japon. Une oeuvre toujours méconnue à voir absolument... www.cinefiches.com

5. tgmf's rating of the film Equinox Flower

I can't believe that was Ozu's first color film. Brillian work! Another amazing fact is that Ozu, with all his movies about family and marriage, lived and died single.

6. luz de topos's rating of the film Equinox Flower

7. Daniel S.'s rating of the film Equinox Flower

Tea, saké, beer, whisky, soda. Tell me what you drink, I'll tell you who you are. Highly recommended.

8. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Equinox Flower

9. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Equinox Flower

10. Sander Moyson's rating of the film Equinox Flower

We always linger between the strive for freedom and the need to be rooted and surrounded, between the lonely individuality and the need for warmth. Thanks to a tradition of soft and tearful resignation, the father can accept his daughter's anti-traditional choices. Ozu drifts brilliantly across this paradox.

11. Lorna Singh's rating of the film Equinox Flower

A study of social changes in post war Japan , in Ozu's first color film. Each frame is a work of art.

12. Aardsy's rating of the film Equinox Flower

The red teapot sees all and judges.

13. pirri's rating of the film Equinox Flower

14. Andrew Miller's rating of the film Equinox Flower

This one is a personal favorite, partially because of what can happen when one muses on the train...

15. OldGermanCurrency's rating of the film Equinox Flower

16. RoRoRoro's rating of the film Equinox Flower

17. chanandre's rating of the film Equinox Flower

[Cinémathèque PT #405: 35 mm] (2006)

18. Jorge Mourinha's rating of the film Equinox Flower

Three little girls growing up. http://theflickeringwall.blogspot.pt/2014/07/higanbana-equinox-flower.html

19. Stevie's rating of the film Equinox Flower

Probably a bit of a second-tier Ozu but still very good, the characters are all typically fantastic and the writing is very good. I love Ozu's rare outdoor shots, you have to relish them when they come along. 8/10 but I need to watch it again soon.

20. José Neves's rating of the film Equinox Flower

The final frame is magnificent: a train that describes an extra diegetic future and enrolls a figure (a gesture, a movement), of disruption in the film. The rest of the film is a calm beauty that installs inside a fictional conflict. Stabilizes the quiver.

21. cyrikelly's rating of the film Equinox Flower

10 ans plus tard nous connaitrons la révolution de mai 68 et l'évolution et la remise en question du mariage sous sa forme traditionaliste. Ozu a présenti ce mouvement qui bouleversera notre société.

22. Patlabor's rating of the film Equinox Flower

Society vs the individual. Ozu, this little Japanese guy didn't every marry, he didn't ever have his own kids... How could he have possibly written such insightful pieces about familial relationships? How?

23. angud's rating of the film Equinox Flower

I don't know if modern day Japan is like that but it was interesting for me to see the movie where the matter of marriage was handled like the India - I grew up in & I know India is no longer like that.

24. Travess's rating of the film Equinox Flower

I hardly see this film as "any time any where." Yes, I think you might need to elaborate Mr. Jahnke. I felt far removed from the particular generation gap this film speaks too. I saw it as documentation of post-war Japan's emerging upper-middle class society, and a generations' desire for independence from their parents conservative ideals. A beautifully shot film. Did Ozu ever work in other aspect ratios?