1. Duncan Gray's rating of the film Escape from New York

This is correcting a wrong. I went to see this once at the AFI Silver, only they couldn't secure a print and used a DVD instead. Naturally, I grabbed the chance to see it on film at the Aero. 35 has its problems—the projector broke halfway through, and a man yelled "It really is the 80s!" But it was a night: an immersive comic book whose little quirks get big laughs in a theater, and whose fuck-you ending is perfect.

2. Udo N. Owen's rating of the film Escape from New York

Escape from New York ist wie ein dreckiger Straßenköter, der eine gute Platte auflegt und einem dann mit Anlauf in den Arsch tritt. Ein saucooler, spannender Streifen eines grandiosen Regisseurs, der sowohl gut aussieht als auch gut klingt. 8/10

3. Stefano De Putti's rating of the film Escape from New York

3 stelle anche perché ha ispirato la creazione del protagonista di Metal Gear Solid quindi grazie davvero

4. FISCHER's rating of the film Escape from New York

Une œuvre d'anticipation plutôt prenante, des acteurs confirmés, un scénario d'une originalité évidente, de quoi réjouir les amateurs du genre... www.cinefiches.com

5. petit astronaute's rating of the film Escape from New York

6. Anca.'s rating of the film Escape from New York

7. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Escape from New York

Before John Carpenter became a name to avoid he made excellent movies. This action classic not only is atmospheric and cool it was the obvious influence to the excellent "Metal Gear Solid" video games. The cool music and style make this film work even better.

8. gld48's rating of the film Escape from New York

for Harry Dean Stanton and those sets - New York pretty much was a hellworld prison in those days

9. AwkwardZoneDefeated's rating of the film Escape from New York

I will always have a place in my heart for Snake Plissken...

10. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film Escape from New York

11. Adam GR's rating of the film Escape from New York

Is Kurt Russell not the inspiration for Solid Snake? I like the dark, 80s mise-en-scène. Video gamey. Chaotic. Harry Dean Stanton.

12. SpacePirate's rating of the film Escape from New York

Essentially a spaghetti western translocated to a desolate urban setting with Russell doing his best Clint impression. The results are ok, but nothing to be blown away by. This is a minor Carpenter entry in my opinion and pales in comparison to some of his great works, yet, he was one of the few unique filmmakers in the 80s the camerawork and macho vibe of Escape adds to his legacy in a unique way. 3.5 stars

13. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Escape from New York

14. David R Williams's rating of the film Escape from New York

15. Auranee's rating of the film Escape from New York

I liked the way people moved in this film (choreography?): intense, purposeful, sinewy. And I liked how the great synth soundtrack blended into the sounds of the film: a car backfiring, metal clanging, etc. Kurt Russell as outlaw anti-hero roped into working for the Man is a delight. Edgy, broody, and impossibly cool, but with laugh-out-loud moments, too. An exciting and enjoyable watch.

16. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Escape from New York

17. Blakevon's rating of the film Escape from New York

A John Carpenter classic. Set in a dystopian future New York, the crime rate in the United States has spiked by 400%, and Manhattan island has been turned into the country's only prison. Snake Plissken(Kurt Russel) is sent into the city to rescue the President of the United States before time runs out. Carpenter's use of shadows and darkness keep you on edge the entire film. This film keeps viewers guessing.

18. hugojude's rating of the film Escape from New York

When one thinks 80s classic, how doesn't this come to mind? Suspenseful, comical, dramatic, and a sweet soundtrack to boot.

19. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Escape from New York

Carpenter's EfNY seems to be working on a completely different operating table: an action film with no action, B-film schlock with great actors, in a slightly admirable, highly believable, dystopia. It's a game changer before the ideas seemed to matter. And while you can never say it is a great film, you can definitely see why it's a great inspiration for a million video games and films after-the-fact.

20. Nicole's rating of the film Escape from New York

So sick that Mubi has got Carpenter's masterpiece playing in the fall. Perfect timing since it's close to October. Kurt Russel's character Snake Plissken never gets old.

21. Kavionna's rating of the film Escape from New York

I loved this movie. It kept me on the edge of my seat. Carpenter really did well touching on an action film like this one and continuing to keep the suspense up. I enjoyed the suspense of the main character Snake that only has a certain amount of time to complete a mission or he would be killed. Before I watched the film, I was thinking if he would complete it or not.

22. Brian's rating of the film Escape from New York

This dark action packed film, keeps viewers wanting more. Kurt Russell does a great job portraying ex special forces who becomes criminal, hired by the government to rescue the president. The film also portrays the city of Manhattan as a prison, and there is an on going war between the U.S. and Soviet Union. Kurt Russell has to battle his way through the city forced to rescue the president. Many good action scenes.

23. ekeal9497's rating of the film Escape from New York

John Carpenter will always be a top 5 director in my book! Personally, the acting could have been better even though Kurt Russell is a pure bad ass. Sometimes anyway. But all in all, Escape From New York is a cool Sci Fi film in which the dystopian society can outweigh the odds a pure thriller. This is what john carpenter can do best besides horror. Pure talent and can always come through with these films. Great film

24. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Escape from New York

Basically a tense game of hot potato. In spite of what you'd think given the premise, the film actually doesn't deliver much in the way of conflict; Snake is treated more like a vehicle to travel the world Carpenter built, and he isn't great at fighting from what we see (he's more clever than strong). Still worth a watch, and it has a political point to make, but not what I expected.