1. Anca.'s rating of the film Escape from New York

2. Dan Kenneth Gigernes's rating of the film Escape from New York

Before John Carpenter became a name to avoid he made excellent movies. This action classic not only is atmospheric and cool it was the obvious influence to the excellent "Metal Gear Solid" video games. The cool music and style make this film work even better.

3. gld48's rating of the film Escape from New York

for Harry Dean Stanton and those sets - New York pretty much was a hellworld prison in those days

4. AwkwardZoneDefeated's rating of the film Escape from New York

I will always have a place in my heart for Snake Plissken...

5. Mariana Basílio's rating of the film Escape from New York

6. Adam GR's rating of the film Escape from New York

Is Kurt Russell not the inspiration for Solid Snake? I like the dark, 80s mise-en-scène. Video gamey. Chaotic. Harry Dean Stanton.

7. SpacePirate's rating of the film Escape from New York

Essentially a spaghetti western translocated to a desolate urban setting with Russell doing his best Clint impression. The results are ok, but nothing to be blown away by. This is a minor Carpenter entry in my opinion and pales in comparison to some of his great works, yet, he was one of the few unique filmmakers in the 80s the camerawork and macho vibe of Escape adds to his legacy in a unique way. 3.5 stars

8. tintinmugshot's rating of the film Escape from New York

9. David R Williams's rating of the film Escape from New York

10. Auranee's rating of the film Escape from New York

I liked the way people moved in this film (choreography?): intense, purposeful, sinewy. And I liked how the great synth soundtrack blended into the sounds of the film: a car backfiring, metal clanging, etc. Kurt Russell as outlaw anti-hero roped into working for the Man is a delight. Edgy, broody, and impossibly cool, but with laugh-out-loud moments, too. An exciting and enjoyable watch.

11. Morris Bros.'s rating of the film Escape from New York

12. Blakevon's rating of the film Escape from New York

A John Carpenter classic. Set in a dystopian future New York, the crime rate in the United States has spiked by 400%, and Manhattan island has been turned into the country's only prison. Snake Plissken(Kurt Russel) is sent into the city to rescue the President of the United States before time runs out. Carpenter's use of shadows and darkness keep you on edge the entire film. This film keeps viewers guessing.

13. hugojude's rating of the film Escape from New York

When one thinks 80s classic, how doesn't this come to mind? Suspenseful, comical, dramatic, and a sweet soundtrack to boot.

14. the_mentaculus's rating of the film Escape from New York

Carpenter's EfNY seems to be working on a completely different operating table: an action film with no action, B-film schlock with great actors, in a slightly admirable, highly believable, dystopia. It's a game changer before the ideas seemed to matter. And while you can never say it is a great film, you can definitely see why it's a great inspiration for a million video games and films after-the-fact.

15. Nicole's rating of the film Escape from New York

So sick that Mubi has got Carpenter's masterpiece playing in the fall. Perfect timing since it's close to October. Kurt Russel's character Snake Plissken never gets old.

16. Kavionna's rating of the film Escape from New York

I loved this movie. It kept me on the edge of my seat. Carpenter really did well touching on an action film like this one and continuing to keep the suspense up. I enjoyed the suspense of the main character Snake that only has a certain amount of time to complete a mission or he would be killed. Before I watched the film, I was thinking if he would complete it or not.

17. Brian's rating of the film Escape from New York

This dark action packed film, keeps viewers wanting more. Kurt Russell does a great job portraying ex special forces who becomes criminal, hired by the government to rescue the president. The film also portrays the city of Manhattan as a prison, and there is an on going war between the U.S. and Soviet Union. Kurt Russell has to battle his way through the city forced to rescue the president. Many good action scenes.

18. ekeal9497's rating of the film Escape from New York

John Carpenter will always be a top 5 director in my book! Personally, the acting could have been better even though Kurt Russell is a pure bad ass. Sometimes anyway. But all in all, Escape From New York is a cool Sci Fi film in which the dystopian society can outweigh the odds a pure thriller. This is what john carpenter can do best besides horror. Pure talent and can always come through with these films. Great film

19. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film Escape from New York

Basically a tense game of hot potato. In spite of what you'd think given the premise, the film actually doesn't deliver much in the way of conflict; Snake is treated more like a vehicle to travel the world Carpenter built, and he isn't great at fighting from what we see (he's more clever than strong). Still worth a watch, and it has a political point to make, but not what I expected.

20. NovaCayne's rating of the film Escape from New York

lots of fun-to-watch action with a pretty straight-forward plot. Some funny Duke Nukem style one-liners that contribute to the movie and makes it comparable to other action movies. One that comes to mind, in terms of the action mixed with comedy, is Predator.

21. Cjspen2.0's rating of the film Escape from New York

The movie is interesting in how it presents the narrative of the story. The whole thing where the prisoners shoot down the presidents ship into the worst part of the prison is a really interesting way to motivate the story forward. It also is the main reason why the main character helps with driving the story itself forward. Overall, pretty decent movie, but takes a while to start up as the credits take a while.

22. James Faketty's rating of the film Escape from New York

I respect John Carpenter as a director, but this movie was poorly directed. It has the premise of a high octane action flick, but has the pacing and camerawork of a 50s noire, with next to no score to back it up. The camera is static throughout the whole movie, and there are no fast paced tracks in the score, making action scenes boring. I was looking forward to watching this, but once I did, I wanted to turn it off.

23. CHRIS's rating of the film Escape from New York

A classic. Looking back we may be tempted to lump this movie in with other retro-post apocalyptic-future films of the 80's, but Escape from New York set the tone of action for the 80's. Featuring one of the most memorable characters in movie history, Snake Plissken, this movie puts the badass in the American spirit. This Anti-hero flick depicts what every man would want to be if placed in that grimy setting.

24. Cassandra Jiskoot's rating of the film Escape from New York

I found the narrative quite difficult to follow because the sequence of events and lack of general back story seemed illogical to me. Were it not for the main characters obvious desire to survive, I would say his actions seemed pretty unmotivated. I did however, find the setting of dystopian New York and overall plot quite interesting-- something I've never seen before.