1. Nachtreich's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

2. FISCHER's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

Avant d'être une œuvre-fleuve, cette réalisation de Lav Diaz se ressent avant tout comme une redoutable partition d'intelligence et de finesse qui jongle avec dextérité et naturel sur des faits réels, sur une magnification du milieu rural et champêtre, sur d'étonnantes références socio-culturelles (les sagas radiophoniques) pour nous proposer un volumineux canevas de réflexions et de contentement. www.cinefiches.com

3. Eric Rucker's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

I didn't think I was gonna like it much, even at three hours in. And at seven hours when I was definitely into it, I did not anticipate I would like it anywhere near as much as I did at the end. Operated in ways no other movie I've seen has. Each shot worked like space in a drawing, where time was flattened out and still and endless—and endlessly present. Somebody somewhere called it an "intimate epic"—so right!

4. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

5. fearraigh's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

It's long, complex and occasionally a bit too demanding of knowledge of Filipino history but Diaz's film is as brilliant as it is draining. Given how cliched scenes and tropes sneak into even the best films these days, it's remarkable there's not one in over ten hours in this film. A film for the ages.

6. Superfrog's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

Managed about 8 and a bit hours. No dull scene, overtly meta, good contemplative, shape changing thing. Excellent photography work too. The biggest problem is that this is not adapted to an human audience or to actually showing. Several films with the same material but more focus would leave me with more to take away and put more of the director in the films. Also, regrettably the copy is a bit crap image and sound.

7. Zac Weber's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

A Filipino epic of cinematic poetry on par with the Indian landmarks of Ramayana and Mahabharata. The more I try to explain the film the farther I drift from its celestial magic.

8. panagiotatos's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

glad to have watched this, not a minute wasted. Great movie by a great director.

9. Levi Miah's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

The first few hours are a comfortable slice-of-life of the farming underclass and once you've already invested that many hours, Lav Diaz hits you with the brutal reality of this bleak part of history. Although grim in subject and rough in presentation, this is an epic, rewarding story of oppression, revolution, and the unbreakable Filipino spirit only stopped by death.

10. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

Epic storytelling. Diaz builds his story piece by delicate piece. Sure, there are moments that could have been edited down quite a bit, but there's something about letting those silent moments slowly unwind that pulls you into the frame and thus into the world. Also, in these static shots, Diaz has a unique talent for putting his camera in great spots. Pretty strong compositions throughout. It's very captivating.

11. Stian Gledje Bekkvik's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

12. captainfez's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

I can't remember my own name.

13. John Woodall's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

Where to even begin with this. Watching this was absolutely exhausting for me in both a physical and emotional way. Despite that I can easily say it's one of the best films I have ever seen. The incredible length of this film is never used as a gimmick, instead it's used to tell a story that really couldn't be effectively told any other way. Tragic yet beautiful in a way that is brutally human in nature.

14. El Biffo's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

The 617 minute runtime isn't nearly as grueling as the subject matter, and the real-time style of showing the anguish, desperation and struggle: struggle to resist, struggle to survive.

15. El Mau's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

Que complicado de clasificar es... tiene momentos grandiosos, otros no tanto, pero vale la pena...

16. EdieEmm's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

Immersive; felt like watching a novel (in which context, the 10+ hours seems a perfectly reasonable length of time). A poor family's (people's) impotence in the face of wider social forces. Form, style, tone, embodying their understated determination. Persistence, futility, pathos, endurance, built up over the course of hours, to something inescapable, relatable, brutal. A remarkable work. Worth giving in to.

17. Ludovic72's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

Il serait difficile de trouver ici la moindre concession à des normes, qu'elles portent sur la durée ou le style. Lav Diaz ne cherche jamais à "être plaisant", il demande au spectateur de se mettre au niveau de ses personnages, de partager avec eux la tragique histoire de son pays. Ses cadrages - si larges et inhabituels - ont l'étonnante capacité de retenir l'attention et de rendre au regard une temporalité oubliée.

18. Jason's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

Well, everything is different now. Everything. I took three breaks (totaling about an hour) but I watched it basically in one sitting. I am walking on clouds. I feel like my cells have been altered. The evolution of a family, sure, but such a staggering encapsulation of national identity. My God! I've never experienced anything comparable (and this is my third Lav Diaz). I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT I JUST EXPERIENCED!

19. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

The work of Lav Diaz is exceptionial. In the beginning the slowness of his narration may be unusual, but if you get accustomed with this tempo the act of watching becomes a kind of addiction and you don't realize how the time passes by.

20. edward's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

could do with a good editor & chopping 90% of the movie that is padding

21. Michael Garmonsway's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

22. lynchs's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

a bit too sentimental occasionally, but that's ok Lav, I forgive you

23. Nadin's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

What a stunning piece! It truly foreshadows Diaz's remarkable vision of cinema. You can find more thoughts on the film on my website. http://tinyurl.com/kke7evo

24. soiwaswrong's rating of the film Evolution of a Filipino Family

I want to watch this but I can't because there's no VCD or DVD copy here!!!! And I've heard it last for 10 hours...