1. Gary Brodnax's rating of the film F for Fake

This is a wonderful stock-taking of Orson's unparalleled life and it demonstrates how magic and the juxtaposition of truth and illusion can give us really special moments.

2. waywardwaters's rating of the film F for Fake

After a career of being blackballed and ostracized by his puppet masters, walrus Welles has the last laugh in examining the validity of “art” (as a mode of commodity in pulling the wool over eyes of the masses) by exposing the industry amusingly in a swiftly cut, structurally fresh yet entirely coherent film essay. What better way to affix the main thesis than in a comedic coda provoking an all-time con-artist?

3. Ethan's rating of the film F for Fake

This is a brilliant documentary that goes beyond the conventions of documentary to deliver a scathing piece on the art of illusion in its many forms. Welles was one of the masters who continually defied cinematic norms and made it look great.

4. hemachandra's rating of the film F for Fake

I think this one is more of film essay than a documentary. Also, it is a "witty" film (it probably inspired Michael Moore).

5. Terry_Moby's rating of the film F for Fake

4.2 Great, especially the editing is as brilliant as possible... May I ask about Oja Kodar? Is she Orson´s Yoko Ono?

6. Wee Hunk's rating of the film F for Fake

What are you really left with at the end of a magic trick? You can applaud the charm of the storyteller while knowing that the whole thing is a lie. And the problem with knowing it's a lie is that it's hard to get invested in the story. There's a big difference between that and fiction. Fiction has a purpose. For me this lie didn't reveal any truth I found interesting.

7. Zach Closs's rating of the film F for Fake

Damn, I wish Welles had always allowed himself to be this stylish and playful! Truly wonderful, unconventional editing that you're barely able to process as it goes to work on you. The uncomfortably lascivious attitude towards Oja Kodar hasn't aged well at all, but otherwise, it doesn't put a foot wrong.

8. Diogo Pires's rating of the film F for Fake

a really honest (or at least, it looks like one) film about fakery. nice approach on Elmyr's interesting life, and some of the work of Welles, even though the movie sometimes gets kinda confusing (I think, on purpose - Welles is a trickster himself). And btw, I love the photography.

9. ihor's rating of the film F for Fake

A real whirligig of a film contorting, changing, contradicting, questioning, moving from image to image, idea to idea rapidly. Part documentary part fiction, part personal reflection, part grand reflection on art and human existence. At times even distorting and hard to follow without close attention. Anyone with a doubt of Welles's formal cinematographic genius this is a must.

10. MistaRichard's rating of the film F for Fake

I recommend this to anyone even remotely interested in film.

11. ermete polpette's rating of the film F for Fake

12. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film F for Fake

Eh? It's an absolutely gorgeously shot and edited movie. But I've frankly seen much more balanced existentialist pieces, ambivalent though I am about how much satisfaction the philosophy can actually deliver its practitioners. Truthfully it seems a little bit overly enamored with the state of facts and physicality bent by perspective, and not enough with the NATURE of perspective and expression.

13. James Mackin's rating of the film F for Fake

Such deception. Much trickery.

14. Nolan Barth's rating of the film F for Fake

I don't know how to describe this film. It is not a movie really. It is not a documentary either. What it is is an experience! It is better to go into this film completely blind, not knowing a thing. Don't let it be spoiled for you, go in blind! This is a mediation on the ideas of trickery, imitation, lies and art. This is a masterpiece and one of Orson Welles's best works. Please treat yourself and watch this film!

15. Muraki's rating of the film F for Fake

16. DenoResandono's rating of the film F for Fake

It contained good topic about fake stuffs and fraud. Not to mention its editing and transition between scenes. But, a few parts felt monotonous...

17. Myles's rating of the film F for Fake

One of my all time favorites.

18. Finbar Somers's rating of the film F for Fake

If it needed it, this film confirms that Orson Welles was a genius, just makes it more depressing that Hollywood fucked with his work again and again

19. Eustacchien's rating of the film F for Fake

A bible for whatever filmaker.

20. Aaron Dillenbeck's rating of the film F for Fake

The visuals are what makes this movie so highly regarded, and for good reason. The story itself, though, is both plodding and average. Jumps around every movie genre without a true identity or narrative. The visuals that Wells creates are dizzying and more often than not don't serve the progression of the plot. Seemed pretentious. Without a doubt the work of a genius, but it went way over my head.

21. Edna Sweetlove's rating of the film F for Fake

Should be called B for Bore. U for Unfunny. M for Mispronounced. P for Pretentious. That spells BUMP. Only saw the first half before a masterstroke of boredom forced me to destroy the TV set.

22. JCPJD's rating of the film F for Fake

Proof that Welles was a genius. Actually a genius, in the same way Michelangelo was or Mozart. F for Fake is watching one of the Great Masters at the height of their abilities pirouetting through film stock, playing with the audience, using light and sound and words to create something magical and totally unique.

23. 5000yearoldbogmummy//Rhett's rating of the film F for Fake

This reveals to me a new way to make a film. A comic, heartfelt, lyric fairy tale about charlatanism and lying. Brilliantly edited, performed, and all-in-all composed. A work of a master at the end of a long and interesting life.

24. Dignan's rating of the film F for Fake

Another essay film lost to narcissism and intellectual masturbation.

← Previous 1 3 4 5