1. Malt Frisky's rating of the film F for Fake

There's so many layers and Orwell makes it look easy. A second viewing and a wall graph of the events was needed just for me to keep up. For some this is Orwell's final masterpiece and to other an editor's bible on how to structure a film with multiple plots and themes that revolve around the art of fakery with Orwell calmly narrating through the process of this documentary, making of and semi autobiographical work.

2. Lynch/Fellini's rating of the film F for Fake

Orson Welles' musings on copyright and the nature of film is absolutely fascinating!

3. F/K's rating of the film F for Fake

One of the most clever and original documentaries ever made, makes you feel like your in a magic show, literally. A must for anyone who wants to learn the craft of editing.

4. Gabriele Mariotti's rating of the film F for Fake

maybe too avant-garde for me...

5. lbunuel's rating of the film F for Fake

In the epilogue of "El Hacedor", Borges says that that is his most personal book, not because it's confessional, but precisely because it's the one with the largest amount of mirrors, doubles and lies. The same thing happens here. Through the many masks Welles uses, he makes explicit the very fabric of his work - and the foundations of the man himself. This is a film of immensurable honesty and beauty.

6. João Ricardo's rating of the film F for Fake

7. En Sangers Bøn's rating of the film F for Fake

Clever and charming cinematographic experimentation with the unique Orson Welles’touch. Poweful magical, illusonary tendency in art (mainly the speculative, avant-garde modern art) and in cinema (the art of lies by excellence). Morality : don’t trust the experts and don’t be fooled by the marketing fraud.

8. dionysus67's rating of the film F for Fake

Authentic masterpiece from one of the greatest 'forgers' of cinematic truth, who, like Elmyr, holds dear whatever he attempts to forge and imitate. Ultimately, Welles' venomous humor targets not 'authenticity' as such but the community of experts and their arrogance in resorting to authenticity as a criterion whilst forging it as part of their role and profession. The end of a rhapsodic era in a genuine work of art!

9. Gary Brodnax's rating of the film F for Fake

This is a wonderful stock-taking of Orson's unparalleled life and it demonstrates how magic and the juxtaposition of truth and illusion can give us really special moments.

10. waywardwaters's rating of the film F for Fake

After a career of being blackballed and ostracized by his puppet masters, walrus Welles has the last laugh in examining the validity of “art” (as a mode of commodity in pulling the wool over eyes of the masses) by exposing the industry amusingly in a swiftly cut, structurally fresh yet entirely coherent film essay. What better way to affix the main thesis than in a comedic coda provoking an all-time con-artist?

11. Jdsarmientoburgos's rating of the film F for Fake

Its part documentary about forged art and part Orson Welles fucking with narrative structure. A high note for him to go out on and a sneak peak into Welles’ mind.

12. Ethan's rating of the film F for Fake

This is a brilliant documentary that goes beyond the conventions of documentary to deliver a scathing piece on the art of illusion in its many forms. Welles was one of the masters who continually defied cinematic norms and made it look great.

13. hemachandra's rating of the film F for Fake

I think this one is more of film essay than a documentary. Also, it is a "witty" film (it probably inspired Michael Moore).

14. Terry_Moby's rating of the film F for Fake

4.2 Great, especially the editing is as brilliant as possible... May I ask about Oja Kodar? Is she Orson´s Yoko Ono?

15. Wee Hunk's rating of the film F for Fake

What are you really left with at the end of a magic trick? You can applaud the charm of the storyteller while knowing that the whole thing is a lie. And the problem with knowing it's a lie is that it's hard to get invested in the story. There's a big difference between that and fiction. Fiction has a purpose. For me this lie didn't reveal any truth I found interesting.

16. Zach Closs's rating of the film F for Fake

Damn, I wish Welles had always allowed himself to be this stylish and playful! Truly wonderful, unconventional editing that you're barely able to process as it goes to work on you. The uncomfortably lascivious attitude towards Oja Kodar hasn't aged well at all, but otherwise, it doesn't put a foot wrong.

17. Diogo Pires's rating of the film F for Fake

a really honest (or at least, it looks like one) film about fakery. nice approach on Elmyr's interesting life, and some of the work of Welles, even though the movie sometimes gets kinda confusing (I think, on purpose - Welles is a trickster himself). And btw, I love the photography.

18. ihor's rating of the film F for Fake

A real whirligig of a film contorting, changing, contradicting, questioning, moving from image to image, idea to idea rapidly. Part documentary part fiction, part personal reflection, part grand reflection on art and human existence. At times even distorting and hard to follow without close attention. Anyone with a doubt of Welles's formal cinematographic genius this is a must.

19. MistaRichard's rating of the film F for Fake

I recommend this to anyone even remotely interested in film.

20. ermete polpette's rating of the film F for Fake

21. Kelvin Thompson's rating of the film F for Fake

Eh? It's an absolutely gorgeously shot and edited movie. But I've frankly seen much more balanced existentialist pieces, ambivalent though I am about how much satisfaction the philosophy can actually deliver its practitioners. Truthfully it seems a little bit overly enamored with the state of facts and physicality bent by perspective, and not enough with the NATURE of perspective and expression.

22. James Mackin's rating of the film F for Fake

Such deception. Much trickery.

23. Nolan Barth's rating of the film F for Fake

I don't know how to describe this film. It is not a movie really. It is not a documentary either. What it is is an experience! It is better to go into this film completely blind, not knowing a thing. Don't let it be spoiled for you, go in blind! This is a mediation on the ideas of trickery, imitation, lies and art. This is a masterpiece and one of Orson Welles's best works. Please treat yourself and watch this film!

24. Muraki's rating of the film F for Fake