1. Bekriah Mawasi's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

It's magical in a way that encapsulates a bunch of Bergmanesque themes. I always loved how Bergman mastered the BW image and this is my first colors one, absolute joy. Reminded me of "The Spirit of the Beehive".

2. Alexei Rublev's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

3. Dan and Val Freeman's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

An amazing piece of work ... and from the same director that gave us the very different and equally amazing Persona. Beautiful and challenging and - unexpectedly for me - full of ruminations about the nature of reality.

4. Adam Whybray's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

Flits half-seen through a curious crawl-space. Incredibly vivid, sometimes almost grotesquely so. A dream of Dickens or Woolf's 'To The Lighthouse' misnarrated by a child. Alexander is a curious little boy but I've never felt so connected to a child protagonist. I suspect the the full 5-hour version will complete the revelation offered here (since I especially love Bergman's dream sequences!)

5. peterblegvad@btinternet.com's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

6. Draughtsman Without Contract's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

One of the very greatest of all films. Period.

7. P D Dawson's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

Just when I thought I'd seen Bergman's best, I see this and shake my head in wonder. How can one man have such illumination inside him and so many profound thoughts? This feels like one of his most personal and accessible films to me. A fight between familial love and that hard love often carried by religion and the church. A must watch for Bergman fans, and a clear evocation of his demons.

8. Oliver Goddard's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

9. Superfrog's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

Sure there is a lot of good about this film, but I'd much prefer Bergman's more technically and conceptually focussed work. It drags on too long and with too many characters to keep me interested, a bit like Tolstoy. But it is probably not it, it's me.

10. Thomas Dods's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

From the opening scenes, the framing and visual direction is masterful. What colours! A sprawling family saga which is perfectly performed and observed - especially a heart wrenching Alexander and a chilling turn from the Bishop. A film which understands that reality is subjective, especially when it comes to children who are made to suffer.

11. Kevin Matthews's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

Yet another fantastic film from a director who is now one of my firm favourites. This mixes scenes of adult drama with a number of scenes showing the way the two main children are viewing the people and events around them. Slow, dream-like on numerous occasions, and riveting.

12. factorfifty's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

More candles than IKEA and longer than the average visit. Quite the Swedish experience.

13. mirklete's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

I couldn't take my eyes off this film, such sumptuous sets, such delicious acting.

14. Stefan Drees's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

The long version is far better; but nonetheless even in the short version (and in spite some missing key scenes) this work remains a masterly narrated film.

15. BOREALIZZZ's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

16. Balthaz21's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

17. CaÏn Kââ's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

"Prenez la voiture à bras !" C'était le temps des "voitures à bras", des immenses appartements avec des rideaux, des tapis, des vases, des tables de banquets longues, carrées, ovales, des habitants dansant, chantant, baisant, hurlant, le temps des fantômes et des revenants, du théâtre, des marionnettes et des momies, des voyants et de la magie. J'avais oublié que Bergman pouvait être si proche de Raoul Ruiz.

18. Rubis's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

19. FISCHER's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

Le film-testament de l'ineffable Ingmar Bergman qui condense tous les thèmes chers de l'un de nos plus grands réalisateurs nordiques... www.cinefiches.com

20. JO's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

Le rythme et les personnages sont fascinants. Sa durée aidant, le film m'a complètement aspiré dans sa réalité et m'a fait ressentir à peu près tout le spectre des émotions. Certainement un grand film.

21. cyrikelly's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

Oui, INGMAR BERGMAN est un grand et, le restera à tout jamais!

22. fada19's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

23. yovargas's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

Overlong messy rambling incoherent self-indulgent beautiful gripping poignant magical brilliance. Loved it. A-.

24. Ludovic72's rating of the film Fanny and Alexander (Theatrical Version)

L'un des sommets de l'œuvre bergmanienne, à coup sûr. En se penchant sur une famille théâtrale du début du vingtième siècle, le maître suédois revisite sa propre enfance, tout en posant de grandes questions sur la jeunesse et la vieillesse, la vie et la mort, la religion et l'art... Le brio de sa mise en scène et la somptuosité des images nous font naviguer sans effort apparent entre les divers sujets et personnages.

← Previous 1 3 4