1. David Huntington's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

A classic, I know, but wow . . . the expanse! the intensity! the cultural history! Somehow one of the most gripping movies in memory.

2. Loz Loory's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

4.5 Definitely a movie made for the big screen. The small screen reduces the movie to more basic plot, without the sensual experience of the lush, sumptuous details. It's hard to watch this film knowing that Leslie Cheung, the actor who played Dieyi, committed suicide in 2003. Life imitating art? Art imitating life? Perhaps a bit of both.

3. Stefanie Nicole's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

extremely long, but always consistently interesting. it brings up a lot of heavy issues in historical time periods. The cinemography was stunning. A+++ great job Mubi

4. Benjamin's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

WOW... this is one of the best films I've seen. You must watch it!

5. roseros's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

I don't know why my grandparents left me alone to watch this when I was 5 but it scarred me for life and I still love it.

6. Cinema Omnivore's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

9.1/10, my review: http://wp.me/p1eXom-2oQ

7. Niko's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

One of my favorite movie ever!

8. ikkini's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

Temple du kitsch. Dommage il y a de bons réalisateurs en Chine...

9. Maximiliane's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

Pour qui qui connaît l'histoire de Chine et non pas seulement la toute récente une pièce maîtresse inégalable.

10. Abby Sun's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

The film that made me realize cinematic language is its own separate being. Found on TV when I was 17 and immediately rewatched. I cry & laugh in disbelief, fury, and recognition every time still.

11. daftnymph's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

12. yesim.tuba's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

An epic reminder for details of life that was masked by politics, violence and delirium of both the authorities and the masses. You're gonna search and cry for hope throughout the movie.

13. ijol's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

Filed under 'masterpiece'

14. Henk Lamers's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

Final score: 8. Storyline: 8, Originality: 8, Cinematography: 8, Involvement: 7, Music: 7, Editing: 8, Educational: 8, Title design: 7, Acting: 7, Interesting: 8, Unusual: 8, Exciting: 6, Superior: 8

15. Adriano Rocha's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

16. Kelley Dong's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

the characterization of dieyi, leslie cheung's character, was written to be very two dimensional. only because leslie cheung is an amazing actor was the film able to evoke emotion far beyond its script, especially against the setback of such a length.

17. José Neves's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

18. Wasunan T's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

Breathtakingly beautiful

19. jlewr's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

Gorgeous in every sense. Long but worth it.

20. Mathieu Langlois's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

21. Dennis Lyons's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

Chen Kaige's devastating saga of a pair of opera performers in a rapidly changing nation is both a history lesson and personal melodrama simultaneously. Leslie Cheung's performance and character in particular defy the nation of the films origin by honestly projecting a man trained to be a woman and his unfulfilled desires. Gong Li's supporting performance is also of special heartbreaking note.

22. Enquan Gu's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

You won't be a good actor unless you get mad.

23. Christopher M. Jones's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

Sweeping, tragic Chinese romance? Sounds awesome, guess I'll just light up a J and snuggle up with this girl and let the romantic vibes wash over OH JESUS OH FUCK OH NO WHY IS THIS HAPPENING, WHY IS THE WORLD LIKE THIS OH MY GOD

24. Matthew Martens's rating of the film Farewell My Concubine

A shattering work of historical melodrama -- like the opera threaded through its narrative from which the film takes its name -- Farewell My Concubine's formidable tragic resonance gains additional levels of pathos from the viewer's knowledge of Chen's own deeply compromised participation in the Cultural Revolution. Leslie Cheung's suicide years later casts yet another shadow over an already haunting, wrenching tale.