1. Matthew Catanzano's rating of the film Fear and Desire

I find it utterly unbelievable that Kubrick had anything to do with this absolute garbage. No wonder why he attempted to have it destroyed; I would be embarrassed too.

2. Ozu_Teapot's rating of the film Fear and Desire

3. Balthaz21's rating of the film Fear and Desire

4. Ethan's rating of the film Fear and Desire

This requires a watch only if you are a huge Kubrick fan.

5. Huey McEvoy's rating of the film Fear and Desire

Notoriously shocking in its amateurishness. There's actually a fine story in here somewhere - hence the extra star - but my word is it executed poorly. Paul Mazursky's "all war and no play" meltdown is perhaps the only hint of what's to come, but it's no wonder Stan was embarrassed by this. I guess even Mozart produced some dreadful plinky-plonky sounds as a toddler that he was happy never saw the light of day.

6. Aardsy's rating of the film Fear and Desire

A more skilled RED ZONE CUBA.

7. vizija's rating of the film Fear and Desire

8. tri ...'s rating of the film Fear and Desire

9. FISCHER's rating of the film Fear and Desire

1er long métrage de Kubrick qui ne démérite en rien dans la construction scénaristique du film avec aussi une réelle maîtrise du jeu des acteurs, de la dramaturgie. Reste une pompeuse et sentencieuse voix off, bien trop présente durant l'ensemble de la projection, censée révéler les pensées profondes des principaux protagonistes qui philosophent à qui mieux mieux, comme de vieux et savants érudits. www.cinefiches.com

10. Il secondo maestro del revolver's rating of the film Fear and Desire

11. Sol Petchorine's rating of the film Fear and Desire

_ We spend our lives running our fingers down the lists in directories, looking for our real names, our permanent addresses. No man is an island ?

12. Vincent Maël's rating of the film Fear and Desire

Man arbeitet sich an Konventionen der (Kriegs-)psychologie, neben fehlgeleiteter Symbolhaftigkeit und abstruser Philosophie, entlang, in der Hoffnung eine tiefgründige Botschaft zu hinterlassen. Doch die Grundpfeiler für Esoterikimpressionen stehen stabil und somit darf man Kubricks Erstling als Experiment und Lernfilm titulieren, in dem gezeigt wird, dass selbst die Naturgewalt erst durch eine Windböe entsteht.

13. SoulBrotherNo1's rating of the film Fear and Desire

14. ceknklsn's rating of the film Fear and Desire

15. NCMBianchi's rating of the film Fear and Desire

As much as it is amazingly photographed and edited, it's storytelling and plot are a bit lacking/dubious in getting the audience's full attention.

16. Jeremiah Johnson's rating of the film Fear and Desire

Should be played at every film school in first semester. Just to demonstrate that all the "auteurs" and "genius" started from the bottom. No one is born a filmmaker.

17. Brendan Whelton's rating of the film Fear and Desire

It LOOKS great, and you can definitely see some early signs of greatness. But man, is it heavy handed and awkward. But if Kubrick's first film is not great, than there is hope for all of us.

18. Mr. Smifff's rating of the film Fear and Desire

I find it very refreshing to see such an amateurish debut by a master director. This is a healthy reminder that everyone has to start somewhere. Plus, there are a few wonderful things about it, particularly some of the shots, as well as that one actor who does the raft shootout. That was a good performance.

19. zi's rating of the film Fear and Desire

I like his later, funnier works better.

20. George B's rating of the film Fear and Desire

Meh. Long in places. Short in others. Love Kubrick but this was just there. Nothing more. Still fun to see the beginnings of a great.

21. Fabio Osvaldo Carta's rating of the film Fear and Desire

22. Kamran's rating of the film Fear and Desire

Despite a few impressive moments, Kubrick's debut is the definition of 'forced' filmmaking. 42/100 - Bad. (1.5)

23. Sydney Burdick's rating of the film Fear and Desire

Everyone has their first time, this is Kubrick's first time.

24. A-H-H-H's rating of the film Fear and Desire