1. Hunter's rating of the film Female Directors

Interesting examination of femininity in China and modern gender politics. Worth watching.

2. rcrespin's rating of the film Female Directors

It's not really something I could have expected, by the end I felt like i had just seen a visual diary of these two young women. I really became intrigued and just let a narrative string together from the images presented to me. great find

3. fonzie's rating of the film Female Directors

not really sure how this won me over but here we are

4. Mikhail Karadimov's rating of the film Female Directors

Not entirely sure what to make of this film. However, that might very well be its allure. I read in a recent interview with Zhang Yimou--that director of the Chinese prestige picture--that he has a problem with the latest batch of Chinese independent filmmakers. After watching this, I think his worries are unfounded. I haven't seen anything so playfully meta in a long while. I enjoyed the mental exercise.

5. mpho3's rating of the film Female Directors

"Life's got to thrill you, but it doesn't - only art does." - Ah Ming. I liked this a lot, although during the first two thirds when they were fighting over the guy and being awful to each other, I felt like they should just fuck and get it over with. Then it seems they salvaged their friendship and the film. Narcissism wins again. What is it about filmmakers? Nice glimpse into Chinese youth culture.

6. caitlin.f's rating of the film Female Directors

7. Matt Piland's rating of the film Female Directors

With the Communist Party of China censoring everything like hotcakes, it's a treat to have access to this. This "mockumentary"' gives us a look at an unstable love/hate bond between two best friends. It's difficult to watch in certain moments, but this is a good thing. It's very emotionally satisfying, and beautiful all around.

8. Joseph Jamison's rating of the film Female Directors

Great view deconstruction of the patriarchy and reflection on class. Any issues with camera work or narrative are secondary. This film has a strong voice and a sharp eye that keeps the audience engaged.

9. Lexi Bass's rating of the film Female Directors

It's hard to tell at first if these two girls are friends or not. They are quite cruel to each other in a way that almost starts treading into reality tv territory. They put it all out there though, and even if the story is patchy, ultimately it feels genuine. I hope they both get what they want in life.

10. greyladycine's rating of the film Female Directors

"If it's the soul itself that I want, what you want is to make use of the soul."

11. laurax's rating of the film Female Directors

Too bad the two young women couldn't find a better topic than the "short stuff" they both had sex with. I liked their filming even with the sometimes jerky movements of the camera. Their interrogation of each other was very interesting, especially when they grabbed to shoot the other's response.

12. mpiedfort's rating of the film Female Directors

Watch the power dynamic change between the two females when the camera changes hands.

13. Tiphaine Tatin de Lattre's rating of the film Female Directors

I can't explain why I've liked this film so much.

14. Chris Gillespie's rating of the film Female Directors

A surprisingly entertaining glimpse into the lives of two young, hip urbanites. The director's handheld camera becomes an interrogation tool to question her place and purpose in a rapidly evolving culture.

15. Julian's rating of the film Female Directors

This is a poignant pseudo-documentary that reveals the troubled life of two film graduates from university in Beijing. By chance they discovered that they both slept with the same sugar daddy and must now face the can of worms that come out after opening the pandora's box.