1. Nathan Grey Hollis's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

2. Eliza Lupu's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

"She sees the bizarreness of the life"

3. dmerchan's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

Great photography! Fascinating life story. Okay documentary.

4. zubee's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

a half hour too long. there was no need to go into the child abuse. what did that have to do with her photography?

5. David R Williams's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

After watching this I just wanted to quietly take my camera and pack it away in the deepest darkness corner of my closet. I mean, what's the use. A strange tragic tale of an amazingly talented and deeply disturbed woman. The faces she captured! Does such even exist any more?

6. Miriam's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

Vivian gets 5 stars. Too bad the documentary isn't as interesting as the subject.

7. dAlton Anthony's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

A riveting investment in my insomnia. First of all, Maier's work is gorgeous. But this documentary raises deeper questions about art and the human sacrifice that is not only entailed in making it, but in living together in this sad and beautiful world we share.

8. JoAnne Voightlander's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

Fairly good profile of an outsider artist that looks at both the positive and the negative, the brilliance and the uncomfortable facts. However... so frackin' elitist. "Why would a nanny take all these photos?" "Being so creative but being a maid, a nanny, it must've been galling." This doc could make me rage. But in the end, I should reserve my anger for The Art World™. This film is merely one piece of evidence.

9. Myles's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

Nice enough, though I can't help feeling its director has a bit of a conflict of interest in shilling for her reputation.

10. EdieEmm's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

Documentarian as entrepreneur, and documentary as promotional scheme - slick, but so self-satisfied & brazen that it's clear Maloof has fully swallowed the worldview in which one exists primarily as a Marketable Brand, in an exploitable world. I kind of feel like Maier might've despised him... I'm with a lot of my fellow reviewers - 5 stars for Vivian; 3 for this contrived, ethically vacuous, reality show of a doc.

11. Paul Page's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

First of all, just beautifully put together. This is a fascinating study, part revelation, part detective film, that unfolds in surprising and provocative ways. For those of us not familiar with her work, the first images are startling. That's only the start of a moving and thought provoking film that in searching for answers raises larger and sometimes troubling questions. Highly recommended.

12. adamjaymorris's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

Vivian gets five stars, the doc gets three.

13. Wee Hunk's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

The movie is a detective story. Her work is great. She has the eye. As far as the art world is concerned, screw them. That's just politics.

14. Max.Madrid's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

15. Peter Walsh's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

Never has such an artless film been made about such a deeply artful and private person. Staggeringly beautiful photography discovered by a dude-bro who shrugs his way through the ethics of appropriation and then treats us to speeded up slideshow of him playing detective. We don't get to look at a single photo for more than ten seconds. In a documentary about a photographer.

16. Loz Loory's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

After years of photography courses where so few women's work would be classified as "great," I was overjoyed to see Maier's phenomenal photos. She frames shots like Gary Winogrand, Lee Friedlander, Robert Frank...all the great modern male photographers, and adds something more. It's breath-taking work. The tale of her life is heart-breaking, yet what she managed to accomplish despite the obstacles is so inspiring.

17. star's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

Fascinating portrayal of an artist, yet so little is known. Actually, everyone in this doc was fascinating and their lives woven together make a wonderful, compelling forgotten story visible.

18. David Perez's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

No critical insights on this woman's photography. Just constant fawning. Jesus.

19. jforjacob's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

I cannot assess this as a work of documentary because of Maloof's financial interests in the sale of Maier's works. This is advertisement for a product. The film itself is a well-constructed presentation of the life of an artist whose work speaks to me personally and deserves exposure, but no matter how well-intentioned, ultimately it can only be considered a good commercial.

20. bodhishin's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

Incredibly intriguing story surrounded in weirdness and mystery.

21. Slappy McGee's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

(4.5 stars) Utterly fascinating. What a mysterious dive into this eclectic photographer. Life is always so much stranger than fiction. Amazing what photographic art that Maloof has rescued in the form of Vivian Maier's legacy. Truly amazing.

22. Antares Rising's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

Despite some tedious interviews toward the end, the collector and filmmaker tells the story of the enigmatic and talented photographer. He weaves together his own story of discovery when he purchased a storage locker auction lot that contained tens of thousands of never developed photo negatives, her story to the extent it is known, and the mysteries of what is not known with a tribute to her immense talent.

23. Monkey Flix's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

Fascinating documentary of the great but enigmatic artist. Some criticize it for being more about Maloof's investigation than Maier herself. The title tells you what it's about, though. Almost nothing was known about her. This is the investigation into who she was. We learn a lot about her in the process. She was so good at protecting her secrets that many of our questions remain unanswered by the end of the film.

24. Creighton Blinn's rating of the film Finding Vivian Maier

An intriguing character sketch, but it would have benefited from a director with less personal connection to Maier, a filmmaker more willing to delve into her darker aspects . . .

← Previous 1 3 4